Star Wars Episode VII: The Force Awakens (JJ Abrams 2015)

crocodile

Nah, I knew what happened in the LotR films because I'd read the books, but the execution of those was in another universe of accomplishment to that of the PT. Knowing how it all unravels beforehand doesn't make any difference.

Ask Columbo fans ;)

Edit: Incy had the same idea I see.

A better writer than George would have gotten down to the heart and soul of what that story needed to be about.

George writes fine stories and comes up with good concepts but he doesn't know how to write scripts.

He wanted to include the politics in the Prequels where it was still possible in the time of the Republic but as it has been stated a million times, trade route taxation and Naboo senator assassinations just don't have the same excitement that battling an evil empire has.

Someone with a name starting with a "K" and ending with "asdan"?

Well that is a good example!

I still maintain that to have any chance of working Lucas should never have made Anakin the main character. Focus on Obi-Wan instead, see him try and fail keeping Anakin on the light side.

Also, portraying Anakin Skywalker in a way that even remotely resembles the character oif Darth Vader might also have been a good idea.

Good points Stefan. It would have made a more compelling and interesting trilogy I think. Obi Wan would have been a perfect character to bridge the trilogies. Or that unknow character, whose fate would have been a mystery throughout the story.

Episode I was a two hour commercial meant to sell the Episode I Racer video game, which was actually a lot of fun.

A big issue with the bad guys in the PT was that both sides were the bad guys. The shadowy guy who looked like the Emperor who ended up being some senator who ended up becoming the Emperor, and he was the one pulling all the strings, setting droids against Naboo/Republic, in an elaborate but ultimately confusing and "yeah, so what?" scheme to discredit the Jedi, cause civil war, and legally crown himself Emperor. It was very gray and worked like a very dull political science lecture, as opposed to a spectacular and bloody coup that it could've been.

My main issue about Ep I is that, so little of what happens in that film is of importance to the overall story.

Basically all I can think about it:

-Anakin meets Obi-wan and Padme and will be trained by the Jedi

-Palaptine becomes a Senator

That's it. All the other stuff. The blockade of Naboo. The Gungans, the Podrace, the whole battle of Naboo. None of that plays any part in the other 2 films.

My main issue about Ep I is that, so little of what happens in that film is of importance to the overall story.

That's it. All the other stuff. The blockade of Naboo. The Gungans, the Podrace, the whole battle of Naboo. None of that plays any part in the other 2 films.

Jar Jar gets to be a senator in Episode II! ;)

Leia should have been revealed as the most powerful Jedi ever. If Palpatine can fool every single Jedi for decades with his hidden powers, Leia did the same even after being tortured by her own daddy.

Gawd...

It will interesting to see if Abrams is going to rely on nostalgia and showing us glimpses of what has gone before or trying to forge a new path in the SW universe with new characters and stories in the new film. Has there been any hint whether or not the upcoming film will be tied to the previous saga? Is there going to be continuity or will this film just happen in the same galaxy far far away?

Thats one detail I actually liked! After taking loads of shit for the Jar Jar character in Ep I, Lucas has him vote in Palpatine!

Yes he basically started the Clone Wars.

And the Trade Federation become part of the Seperatists because of the battle ;)

The biggest problem with the prequel trilogy as a whole, to me, is the lack of any overarching goal for the series. The OT was clear: the Rebellion needs to defeat the Empire. Every individual movie's plot came down to that, and at the end of the trilogy that was accomplished. In the PT, we had a movie about fighting back against an invasion, a movie about solving the mystery of an assassination attempt, and a movie about not much of anything but I guess driving its main character to evil. There's no real throughline to make the movies relevant to one another.

In the PT, the main villain was in Episode I for ten minutes and in Episode II for ten minutes - and only BEING a villain for one minute apiece. Episode II and III were kind of aimless for me. While it's probably my least favorite SW movie as a whole, at least Episode I had a sense of adventure to it, and an exciting villain.

I think the design overall for the PT was good. My problem was, again, there was no consistency. In the OT, Luke had an X-wing, Han had the Millennium Falcon, and the bad guys had TIE Fighters - some slight variation in brief cases, but just TIE fighters. In the prequels, there were too many vehicles for anything to be memorable/iconic. Episode I was the best with this, as the good guys had the yellow fighters, the bad guys had the droid fighters, and there was a "hero ship" - the Queen's starship - and a "villain ship" - the trade federation donut ship. In the final battle of episode II and the opening battle in ep III, each side in the final battle had huge amounts of vehicles. Multiple walkers and tanks and battleships and spaceships. While the designs were neat, having so many of them on the screen at once meant that none of them were around long enough to be very dynamic or interesting.

Kennedy and Abrams have indicated that they learned what works and what doesn't from the prequels, and I don't think that's just lip service. I think they'll do a great job to bring a sense of adventure back into the SW universe.

I think the design overall for the PT was good. My problem was, again, there was no consistency. In the OT, Luke had an X-wing, Han had the Millennium Falcon, and the bad guys had TIE Fighters - some slight variation in brief cases, but just TIE fighters. In the prequels, there were too many vehicles for anything to be memorable/iconic. The bad guys had. Again, Episode I was the best with this, as the good guys had the yellow fighters, the bad guys had the droid fighters, and there was a "hero ship" - the Queen's starship - and a "villain ship" - the trade federation donut ship. In the final battle of episode II and the opening battle in ep III, each side in the final battle had huge amounts of vehicles. Multiple walkers and tanks and battleships and spaceships. While the designs were neat, having so many of them on the screen at once meant that none of them were around long enough to be very dynamic or interesting.

He was the one who pointed out that Boba Fett hates the Skywalker family in the OT. He wants to destroy them.

Why would Fett hate Skywalkers? They didn't have anything to do with his father's death. But I guess Fett has one track mind. Anakin was present when his daddy kicked the bucket and Anakin Skywalker was a Jedi and now Fett hates Jedi ergo Jedi=Skywalkers=Fett hates Skywalkers. Or am I missing something crucial?

It will interesting to see if Abrams is going to rely on nostalgia and showing us glimpses of what has gone before or trying to forge a new path in the SW universe with new characters and stories in the new film. Has there been any hint whether or not the upcoming film will be tied to the previous saga? Is there going to be continuity or will this film just happen in the same galaxy far far away?

Well, since Hamill, Ford and Fisher are going to be in the film, chances are that it will be tied to the previous saga.

Unless, of course, they are going to play three different characters, like the Ewok leader Jenga Ettawa, the bounty hunter Ekhor Bessaid and the senator Tajisha Fia.

Ah I have not been following the casting that closely. :P

Well then there is going to be inevitable connection to the previous films. I wonder what kind of geriatric reunion of old Republic heroes they are planning to show in the film and what will be the new threat to the peace and order in the galaxy. I am hoping for the evil cloned Emperor returning. ;)

For decades it was assumed that Fett was just a bounty hunter send by Jabba to collect Han Solo. It wasnt untill Rick McCallum's revelation that we knew that Boba Fett had a deep personal stake in all of this.

Dense as he said. Dense.

NOSTALGIA POWA!!!!!!!!!!!

Mark Hamill, his nostalgia power is huge, the reading is off the charts, even greater than of Master Yoda.

Turns out The Emperor never died. Like Luke in TESB he survived his fall. Managed to escape in a shuttle craft just before the Death Star exploded. As for Vader, it will be revealed that he was not actually dead when Luke burned him on the pyre. Some essence of him survived and with The Emperor now out of hiding, he resurrects Vader so they can take vengeance and restart the Empire.

Turns out The Emperor never died. Like Luke in TESB he survived his fall. Managed to escape in a shuttle craft just before the Death Star exploded. As for Vader, it will be revealed that he was not actually dead when Luke burned him on the pyre. Some essence of him survived and with The Emperor now out of hiding, he resurrects Vader so they can take vengeance and restart the Empire.

The old trio Luke, Han and Leia are stranded on a huge tropical planet after a shuttle blockade runner Tentative 815 crashes there on a hyper space flight from Coruscant to Kashyyk. After miraculously surviving the crash they find out that there are these strange bases scattered across the globe called simply Hatches and that there is an evil Force ghost making tikitikitik sounds and guarding this place from intruders...And Luke has just seen his dead father in the jungle, without his helmet. What the heck?!!!

Meanwhile Jack, Hurley and Kate try to solve the mysterious assassination attempt on Supreme President of Republic Mon Mothma's daughter Pippa on Yavin IV as a group of disgruntled postal workers hatch a plot to kill her because her mother refused to give them a raise. Scathing social commentary and mystery follows.

Meanwhiler Chewbacca's son Baccachew has been invited to the Skywalker School of Jedi Powers and Puppetry and boards the Skywalker Express to find himself in a wondrous school for gifted furry creatures incapable of coherent speech. Hilarity and slap stick ensues, worthy of the SW Christmas Special.

Oh yes and Admiral Ackbar is finally in his dream job, working as a private eye on his native world Mon Calamari and ends up in deep dark waters of the underworld of their capital city. A sultry Mon Calamari lady Webfeeta comes to him for help as she needs him to find her husband and the legendary Maltenium Falcon statuette that has gone missing along with his man. Ackbar is lured into the web of mystery and deceit and gets to bellow out his famous "It's a trap!" when he is double crossed by his partner Mr. Freaky haircut aka ex-general Madine. Suspense and hilarity ensues.

caS91VV.jpg1159.jpg

It is a respectable thing for an elderly actor to endorse! And it pays the bills.

That man could still be Han Solo. A respectable old Han Solo with a steady Republic pension and a plan to pay outstanding debts by consolidating them into one handy monthly repayment.

Well, since Hamill, Ford and Fisher are going to be in the film, chances are that it will be tied to the previous saga.

Unless, of course, they are going to play three different characters, like the Ewok leader Jenga Ettawa, the bounty hunter Ekhor Bessaid and the senator Tajisha Fia.

Not to mention that it's called Episode VII.

Darth Bonks?

No I shall dub him Darth Bonkers! The time of inadvertent clumsiness, destruction and madness has descended on the galaxy far far away! Mesa very sorry mesa being a bombad tyrant!

But always two there are hrrmmm...

Let me introduce you his apprentice Darth Elmous!

darthElmo.jpg