Star Wars Episode VII: The Force Awakens (JJ Abrams 2015)

crocodile

Luke will find the tombs of the Nazg...Sith and find it empty?

They were broken from the inside. Dun DUn DUUUNnn! Mystery alert!

Then Luke wanders aimlessly around the galaxy far far away spouting exposition and walking into a trap.

A visit to the tombs on Korriban? That would be neat, especially if they capture the same atmosphere as in KOTOR.

If the plot of the upcoming film is half as good as Kotor 1 then we have nothing to worry about.

That game has always been the kind of Star Wars I want to see on the big screen.

Ditto!

Not really.

People always say that, but I've never thought they felt like Star Wars films, not really.

Sacrilicious = sacrilegious (grossly irreverent toward what is sacred) + delicious (extremely pleasing to the sense of taste)

The new Trek films are largely that.

What is grossly irreverent about the last two? Moreso then the previous 10?

No, not at all. Star Wars has a completely different dynamic then Star Trek.

Now will there be similarities between Star Trek (2009), Into Darkness and the new SW film? Probably. Same director.

But I really suspect JJ will make something more in line with the OT.

No, not at all. Star Wars has a completely different dynamic then Star Trek.

Now will there be similarities between Star Trek (2009), Into Darkness and the new SW film? Probably. Same director.

But I really suspect JJ will make something more in line with the OT.

Well, hope we can at least agree that he'll probably do a decent enough job on this one. He's got the right kind of skill set to make Star Wars hip again.

Karol

JJ's Star Trek is not exactly what I'd call "in line" with the core ideas that make Star Trek what it is, the Roddenberry vision. But I don't dislike them for that; they're fun romps that have at least brought the franchise back into profitable territory. And I saw Kirk's speech at the end of Into Darkness as JJ/Lindelof sort of acknowledging this disconnect, and promising that whoever takes over the helm will likely do things in a more genuinely Trekky way.

HORRIBLE, HORRIBLE casting if true

He stinks on Girls, and doesn't have the gravitas to play the villain in a major summer action blockbuster, let alone 3, let alone in a freaking STAR WARS movie.

Hope it's a joke!

I'm guessing he just has a really good agent. Every project that has come along recently his name is rumored, yet he's never cast. I guess his agent is just trying to get his name out there as much as possible, hoping eventually a producer will take a chance on him. Of the two episodes I watched of Girls, he was terrible in both so I really hope this isn't true.

I think he's terrible too - he's easily my least favorite character on the show. I suppose to be fair I never pondered much on how much is his acting vs how much is the writing, but either way, NOTHING about him says "major villain in a new summer blockbuster" to me whatsoever.

A visit to the tombs on Korriban? That would be neat, especially if they capture the same atmosphere as in KOTOR.

Apparently (as per TCW bonus episodes) the Sith Homeplanet is now called Morriband.

JJ's Star Trek is not exactly what I'd call "in line" with the core ideas that make Star Trek what it is, the Roddenberry vision.

You know, I'm a hard core Trekkie. But Roddenberry's vision worked brilliantly on TOS, and that's about it.

He produced TNG season one, and it's so bad that Paramount actually took the show away from him.

I'm guessing he just has a really good agent.

Well, that's for damn sure. In the last 18 months he's been cast by Spielberg, the Coens, and Noah Baumbach, and he's about to start on Scorsese's next. Wouldn't be surprised if this is true, at the rate he's going.

JJ's Star Trek is not exactly what I'd call "in line" with the core ideas that make Star Trek what it is, the Roddenberry vision.

You know, I'm a hard core Trekkie. But Roddenberry's vision worked brilliantly on TOS, and that's about it.

He produced TNG season one, and it's so bad that Paramount actually took the show away from him.

This is supposed to be the new OS. I think there is still potential in that vision.

As a huge fan of TOS and their movies, the main problem I have with the new Star Trek films is that they use the same characters but their personalities are not even close to being the same. This, of course, is explained by using a different timeline. Different events occurred in their lives, they were put on different trajectories, thus their personalities are different. I get that. They should have just used new characters, though, it makes it awkward otherwise. Without Kirk being grounded and experienced, his character doesn't have the same weight. I'm not a fan of the wise-cracking goofball. The most he did on TOS was a side-ways glance and a grin.

Outside of that, I feel that Abrams and Co. did a fine job on the first film. It's still fun.