Star Wars Episode VII: The Force Awakens (JJ Abrams 2015)

crocodile

Yeah, Boorman in a Fantasy/sci-fi mode tends to be a little bit campy. I must say, many years ago, I saw Excalibur with mattes on Dutch TV and it looked really amazing. It changed my whole opinion on this movie. The HD version sucks.

Alex

English sci-fi typically looks shit!

ALIEN, A CLOCKWORK ORANGE, KRULL, DREDD, OUTLAND, FARENHEIT 451, INCEPTION, QUATERMASS AND THE PIT, THE MAN WHO FELL TO EARTH, SKY CAPTAIN AND THE WORLD TOMORROW. EXITENZ?

British tv sci-fi and fantasy always looks cheaply produced to me, Sharky. The sets, costumes, lighting and special effects appear to be allocated the same budget as prize money on Ant & Dec's Saturday Night Takeaway. Compare the Beeb's Merlin, or Atlantis to Game of Thrones to see what I mean.

I didn't see BSG (yet) but I can tell it's high end, which is rare, even for US stuff. For example: the pilot of Falling Skies looked like shit - and that had Spielberg attached to it. Another was Revolution, which screamed tv production values.

Joining BSG as being more convincingly produced or visually polished US sci-fi is Lost, The Twilight Zone, Firefly's outer space scenes looked the part, I thought Star Trek Voyager was quite nice back in the day and the prematurely cancelled Jericho felt more like an indie movie than tv.

It's also a shame that Under the Dome is so tragically awful, because the effects work is actually pretty good.

Voyager looked very good for its day and still holds up well. Same for DS9 which ran at the same time. Shows like Charmed and Farscape never really cut it effects wise.

Was LOST really sci-fi? It certainly didnt seem ver SFX heavy.

Well its pitch was certainly sci-fi and it looked quite expensive.

Forgot to mention any X-Files episodes which weren't about aliens, they looked decent and pretty moody actually. And the deck of Next Generation Enterprise always looks very believable, in the later episodes (after Picard bulked up).

Picard bulked up?

The most recent few series of Dr. Who has had episodes that looked very good visual and SFX wise, but I guess they never have the budget to sustain that level of quality throughout a series.

Also, the way British TV shows are lit and shot just seems different, even if they do have a budget.

It is different, I agree. Really, really obviously different.

It's like everything has to be lit to the max. Shadows aren't allowed, unless it's a dark and 'scary' scene.

Look at Picard before Riker grew a beard and then look at him after. He's a skinny runt in the first season.

I'd rather forget the first season ever existed to be honest.

BBC "original drama" is all about making look as clear as possible. Like you said.

They look more digital too then shows like GOT. Which looks like it could just as well have been shot on film.

Where GoT is now it looks like a bonafide movie production. Didn't in the first season, but that's expected.

Sherlock looks uncharacteristically BBC made btw. It's a real looker. But again most British drama looks like Eastenders 'gritty' and nowhere near as polished as Breaking Bad, or Mad Men.

Sherlock relishes in its digital video 1080p-ness. It works great for that show.

But again most British drama looks like Eastenders 'gritty' and nowhere near as polished as Breaking Bad, or Mad Men.

Just you wait! Danny Dyer is on Eastenders now! It's going places!

Where GoT is now it looks like a bonafide movie production. Didn't in the first season, but that's expected.

Well it is HBO. Just look at The Pacific. I've never seen such a waste of high production values.

Haven't seen Pacific, heard it wasn't up to par.

Didn't make it past 4 or 5 episodes. It was hard to put my finger on why it wasn't good. Some of it was scripting, some of it was following separate people so you never really felt connected, and some was due to the setting in that it never changed. I really wanted to like it, and was very excited for it.

Well, I don;t mean Prequel bashing discussions poping up in just about every random thread, but this is the main Episode 7 thread.And I'm reading stuff about Star Trek TNG

• 2 weeks later...