Star Wars Episode VII: The Force Awakens (JJ Abrams 2015)

crocodile

The only part that concerns me slightly is the cloaked character in the forest with the "cool" lightsaber. It's rather cliche. Why does he/she need to pose to turn it on... I'm sure there's a joke somewhere in there...

I'm willing to bet that shot was just a money shot for the trailer.

Or someone is following him and he just noticed

Someone at IMDb posted this analogy:

This feels like running into your ex wife.

ORIGINAL TRILOGY

Star Wars she was your highschool sweetheart. She showed you love and brought you happiness. She taught you about the world and made your early years full of joy.

PREQUEL TRILOGY

So you married her after college. But it was a living hell. She was nothing like she was when you met her. She was fake and annoying and constantly disappointing you. So with a heavy heart you divorced her.

SEQUEL TRILOGY

But then 10 years later you see her at a party. She's single and looking as good as ever. You spark up a conversation and see that she's changed, she reminds you of the girl you fell in love with when you were a kid. But you're apprehensive. Nervous that she might break your heart again.

Yep that's what this feels like.

I really like this info, big spoilers about Luke's role in the film and the two new planets that are featured in the teaser:

This shot appears to be the one from the IMAX sequence that was filmed with the IMAX camera. I would expect to see this bigger than the rest of the film in 2015 along with those Falcon shots if my sources and deductions are correct:

01.png?resize=601%2C256

This appears to be John Boyega’s character shortly after his TIE Fighter crashes, since he still has the armor on. I believe he just wears the body glove of this suit for some of the film. I believe something has changed in the minor details of this sequence. Perhaps he now ejects? Perhaps the Falcon shot him down?

02.png?resize=600%2C257

Here we get a clean shot of the new Stormtrooper armor from the back. This could be Elite Stormtrooper gear but it looks pretty much like the concepts for the standard new armor, but I think he wears the helmet with the visor at this point:

03.png?resize=600%2C256

Here you get a good shot of the new droid we’ve been talking about for a few months now. Also notice in the background you can see the quad-engined ship “Kira” has parked at her AT-AT homebase:

04.png?resize=599%2C254

Here we see the new Stormtroopers ready to land at the village:

05.png?resize=680%2C330

Here you can see the lights on the new Stormtrooper guns. I was told those lights were designed to give video games some fun functional play that still looks great on screen and I think it work:

08.png?resize=595%2C258

Stormtroopers ready to burn a village down!

09.png?resize=600%2C257

After the door opens we can see it is the sand planet where we told you about the new bad guy using Stormtroopers with flame throwers to burn the village to the ground, as well as standard Stormtroopers to fight the resistance:

10.png?resize=600%2C261This is the boxy red speeder bike we talked about in the past. It is exact to the concept art we’ve seen. This outfit is the “Snow Girl” out fit as well, however, the pointed hood has been removed. We decided it must be for the sand planet because her ankles were showing and that appears to be the case!

11.png?resize=600%2C257

This really reminds me of some early Ralph McQuarrie designs for Luke and the goggles use salvaged Stormtrooper lenses:

12.png?resize=600%2C257

Here we can see the speeder approaching the “TMZ” set:

13.png?resize=600%2C256

Our buds at Star Wars Underworld were totally correct about Oscar Issac being an X-wing pilot. @Cevan77 points out the Aurebesh on his vest reads “Pull to inflate.” I also don’t think that’s the black X-wing as suggested by some fans:

14.png?resize=600%2C254

It appears the blue and grey X-wing will be the standard X-wing for the film. They’re flying on the same planet as the castle we’ve written about that has a certain crazy person inside it:

I’m told that in the back story for the film, Luke Skywalker does something amazing with the Force. He’s really powerful, more of “wizard than lightsaber wielding warrior.” Basically, Luke Skywalker has a “Force Unleashed” moment and realizes he might be bad for the universe.The aftermath of that event is difficult for Luke.

Luke Skywalker has become the most powerful Jedi ever, but he doesn’t believe he’s the wisest. He doesn’t want to make the mistake his father made by thinking he knows what’s right for the universe. Skywalker becomes somewhat deranged in his seclusion. He is consumed by his fear that if he should return to “society” his power could be misused, he could be manipulated, and he may accidentally hurt the one’s he loves.

For these reasons, to protect the galaxy and himself, Luke retreats into self-imposed exile for many years. I’m told he can’t always control the power. While he sits in a meditative state, he levitates things unconsciously and he’s not always in complete control and he’s never sure if he’s doing the will of the Force or acting on his own passions. Luke is seeing the past, the present, the future, “old friends long gone” and other things that prey upon his sanity.

Luke Skywalker is described as “creepy and frightening in appearance” because you supposedly can see “the fire in his eyes” behind his grizzled appearance during some scenes.

For most of Luke’s appearance in Star Wars: Episode VII, it is questionable if his madness will result in evil. Not even those that have known him for most of his life know if he’s sane or not. However, the villain and the new hero both draw Skywalker out and he’s forced to intervene in the galactic conflict. The imbalance he feared bringing back to the galaxy is set into motion by the new evil. But it is not only evil that brings Luke Skywalker out of exile. The good in the universe does as well when one of the heroes convinces him the place he is in is not where he belongs.

By the last act of the film, it is clear where Luke falls on spectrum of good and evil.

The interesting thing is that Star Wars has always been about family and love but also about righting the wrongs of the past generation. In some ways, the situation the galaxy finds itself in in Star Wars: Episode VII is Luke’s fault. His absence is the reason things have escalated in the universe.

My personal belief is that by the end of the film, Luke Skywalker returns looking like his old self again. It appears his character’s trajectory is one in which he has to atone with his place and power in the galaxy. By the end of the film, he apparently does, and our new heroes have a mentor to take on the old evil that has infected the galaxy during Skywalker’s absence.

15.png?resize=600%2C253

This shot of the new bad guy is from the Black Park shoot we told you about. Harry Potter also filmed here:

16.png?resize=599%2C276I love how the cross beams don’t ignite at first. The mask of this guy has been described here as it appears in Indie Revolver’s concept piece, this is the fight before:

17.png?resize=601%2C269His mask is red and we know a little about him already. We noted in the past that the blade on this saber appears to be not entirely stable:

18.png?resize=601%2C266That blade is meant to kill and shows that Star Wars Underworld’s concept art was legit! I believe our concept art for this character is an iteration before their art which appears to be 100% on the money. Also, that’s a long saber. Compensating:

19.png?resize=599%2C263

I bet Lando bought that new radar dish after Return of the Jedi. However, there is a chance the Solos just bought DirectTV:

20.png?resize=600%2C257

Those TIEs are fighting the Falcon on the same planet Boyega crashes on. Interesting, right? It appears the TIEs may be shooting at one another too, but I can’t be certain, which would change the implication. Ryan Owen also messed around with the contrast in this shot and there is only one sun. So its not Tatooine it appears:

21.png?resize=603%2C255Wow!

Same.

But some of the SW fanboys are WAAAY too defensive. The moment they realize you didn't LOVE it 200%, they start pouting...

Clearly. They have something new to take to their bunks.

More obnoxious than the Trekkies! Maybe it's time to convert...

But fanboys are WAAAY too defensive. The moment they realize you didn't LOVE it 200%, they start pouting...

Fixed.

Right. But the SW ones in particular are greater in number, and more sensitive to the objection it seems...

I guess you just gotta keep believe everything is awesome!

The pilot looks like Dev, or Rogue 2 from the Snowspeeder search party, which would be great continuity. But the actor Christopher Malcom died in February 2015. Could it still be him? Is this little inclusion an quiet tribute, or is it someone totally different?

http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0539095/?ref_=ttfc_fc_cl_t26

Same.

But some of the SW fanboys are WAAAY too defensive. The moment they realize you didn't LOVE it 200%, they start pouting...

I suppose I'm probably the biggest SW fanboy here, and I liked it about 60%.

The pilot looks like Dev, or Rogue 2 from the Snowspeeder search party, which would be great continuity. But the actor Christopher Malcom died in February 2015. Could it still be him? Is this little inclusion an quiet tribute, or is it someone totally different?

Zev Senesca died in the battle of Hoth...

I dont like the rumored film synopsis...

It ruins everything one expects after Return of the Jedi, considerating the Expanded Universe or not.

The biggest SW fanboy here? You don't even have a SW avatar!

I am lazy when it comes to my avatar.

I love the prequels. I am in the 501st Legion. Here's my SW basement. https://www.flickr.com/photos/20262628@N00/sets/72157641197343774/

Why is there a number "7" in brackets in the title of this thread? Is there an assumption that we're all dummies who can't read Roman numerals?

It's for Americans.

Rocky II predates The Empire Strikes Back and the Super Bowl still uses Roman numerals, even though Star Trek, Rocky, and now Star Wars have dumbed down their number sequences. But feel warm and cuddly by insulting Americans if you can.

They don't know how to count!

As long as we don't have shaky cam, zooming and focusing at the same time like he did in star trek, because star wars has always had that classic cinema style to it.

As long as we don't have shaky cam, zooming and focusing at the same time like he did in star trek, because star wars has always had that classic cinema style to it.

Not like the battle of geonosis, you mean?

That pilot is way too young to be Rogue 2, anyway?

As someone mentioned a few posts earlier:

Zev Senesca* died in the battle of Hoth...

*aka Rogue 2

@nightscape94

well, it looks to me as a big hyperbole.

Same with the fact of people crying at the sight of the teaser..

Anyway, the Star Wars related thing that would make me cry, would be the release on Bluray of the Original really unaltered trilogy. :)

Not like the battle of geonosis, you mean?

That was just terrible. But Attack of the Clones is surely one of the ugliest films of all time in every way, despite a pretty bitchin' teaser trailer.

Watched the trailer a few more times. Some thoughts

-I dislike that Disney chose not to include "Episode 7" in the marketing of the film

-I dislike that Luke, Leia, Han, C3PO, R2D2, or any other characters from the original films appear at all

-Dislike that 30 years after The Rebellion won and defeated The Empire, there are still stormtroopers and TIE Fighters. I mean, wtf?

-Not sure why there'd still be X-Wings either. Why wouldnn't they have some new ships 30 freaking years later? They have all the resources of the galaxy at their fingertips now!

-Don't like that after all this time, the VERY first FOOTAGE we see of a BRAND NEW Star Wars film is... some guy standing up in a desert looking scared. WTF? They should have picked a better shot to be the first one in the new trailer

You gotta give JJ points for doing something no one expected.

-Dislike that 30 years after The Rebellion won and defeated The Empire, there are still stormtroopers and TIE Fighters. I mean, wtf?

-Not sure why there'd still be X-Wings either. Why wouldnn't they have some new ships 30 freaking years later? They have all the resources of the galaxy at their fingertips now!

You may be right. But I would prefer to comment on that after actually seeing the film. It might make the lack of progress in tech very logical.