Force Awakens ABC TV Spot - CONFIRMED premiere of Williams' score!

Tom

The Music In The Spot  

59 members have voted

1. 1. Is the music from 0:03-0:38 in this TV spot written by John Williams?

• Definitely John Williams - probably written a while back for potential trailer use
    • Definitely John WIlliams - It's gotta be from the Force Awakens score!
    • Definitely John WIlliams, but redone / remixed to sound more "trailery"
    • Definitely not John Williams!

This poll is closed to new votes

The new theme is certainly catchy. And good. The first statement (flute w/oboe/clarinet doubling (typical Williams color), not synth) sounds like the second half of an initial statement. The bridging chords hint at The Imperial March/Dark Side, whereas the rest of the theme seems linked to the Force theme. I like the interallic inversion and slight rhythmic variation of the horns' entrance. Also like the low celesta intro (another Williams color).

The new theme is certainly catchy. And good. The first statement (flute w/clarinet doubling (typical Williams color), not synth) sounds like the second half of an initial statement. The bridging chords hint at The Imperial March/Dark Side, whereas the rest of the theme seems linked to the Force theme. I like the interallic inversion and slight rhythmic variation of the horns' entrance. Also like the low celesta intro (another Williams color).

Good points, Marcus. A friend was pointing to me also that the theme seems to hint at the first bars of "Luke and Leia" (something which certainly makes sense), but with a sort of "Russian" character added to it.

The more I listen the more obvious it feels as a Williams theme. It might not be much more substantial than say, Darth Plageuis' theme, but the bones are clearly there.

If you can't already hear the trumpet solo of the theme as Rey walks into the sunset, you don't know Mr. Williams! Especially when it's so recognizable from only the first 6 notes, just like the Force Theme... to be honest though, I can't imagine the theme being applied in an action cue. Seems very deliberately delicate.

Anyway, nobody understood how the 9 note Battle of the Heroes theme could be applied to a whole cue when it originally leaked, so let's have some faith here.

Perhaps it is a "theme" from the film which was written by Williams, a theme which we will hear in the final score, but I can't believe that the music as it is in the trailer is Williams' rendition. I think that, most likely, some company took the theme and created a short piece based around it which was inserted into the TV spot (like was done with the Force theme in Trailer #3). The bit around 0:16 with Bb -> F# -> D is generally bad melodic writing, and to me suggests that this is sort of a cut-and-paste version of whatever theme Williams wrote. The theme could work but the way it is presented here doesn't impress me tbh.

Perhaps it is a "theme" from the film which was written by Williams, a theme which we will hear in the final score, but I can't believe that the music as it is in the trailer is William's rendition.

This!

loert423, you're the most sensible member around right now! Bravo to you!

I think it's Williams.

Too flimsy a tune to actually be Williams. More like a Williams impersonator.

It has some common Williams colours, and the play on the Imperial March chords is rather Williamsy, but the rest does not convince.

I love how many pages of discussion every new blip or news of Williams' new score gets

The BFG, of course, won't be nearly the same level of pre-OST discussion.

I think it's Williams. It is in line with the simpler style that he has adopted in some recent scores. However, it is just a short musical phrase, it is impossible to draw big conclusions on what it is. It does not need to be one of the themes associated with the main characters.

The rhythm does not feel very Williamsy. It's very straight rhythm as if recorded to click or quantized. For example Anakin's theme is so full of rubato where this is not. Compare with the first 15 seconds of the opening from this:

...is very loose with the rhythm so this could be someone using some new material and slicing it or creating something new off of it.

I think it's Williams.

It has some common Williams colours, and the play on the Imperial March chords is rather Williamsy, but the rest does not convince.

I can go along with it as a Williams tune, especially if it's just a secondary one or a bit of underscore. I'm not buying it as a main protagonist theme but well, who knows anymore. As has been said, Williams can do wonders with context and development...at least it's a start. This performance/recording just sounds so flat to me and that's what made me say :down: to Williams. It never entered my mind that they wouldn't use actual score sessions if they were premiering Williams music. But Roald's been here awhile and him insisting that he knew about this is giving me second thoughts.

Maybe it's inflated expectations or I'm getting cynical or I'm all confused after all the constant yes/no regarding the Williams pastiche stuff, but I just know that every time I've heard his music in a teaser, I knew it was him. Hedwig's Theme, Double Trouble, War Horse, Lincoln, the first Force Awakens teaser. Something sounds off here. I'm not hearing the resonance, detail, atmosphere. As karelm said the performance is so straight. If it's real something's gone horribly wrong...

I also have to say that if this IS Johnny Baby, then Michael's going to look like a genius in 30 years when this thing is iconic. The only JWFan who instantly loved Rey's theme!

I also have to say that if this IS Johnny Baby, then Michael's going to look like a genius in 30 years when this thing is iconic.

And if it isn't, then many people around here are going to look like fools!

Especially Marcus with that post:

The new theme is certainly catchy. And good. The first statement (flute w/oboe/clarinet doubling (typical Williams color), not synth) sounds like the second half of an initial statement. The bridging chords hint at The Imperial March/Dark Side, whereas the rest of the theme seems linked to the Force theme. I like the interallic inversion and slight rhythmic variation of the horns' entrance. Also like the low celesta intro (another Williams color).

If this turns out not to be Williams music, this post will be comedy gold!

I think it's Williams.

Maybe it's inflated expectations or I'm getting cynical or I'm all confused after all the constant yes/no regarding the Williams pastiche stuff, but I just know that every time I've heard his music in a teaser, I knew it was him. Hedwig's Theme, Double Trouble, War Horse, Lincoln, the first Force Awakens teaser. Something sounds off here. I'm not hearing the resonance, detail, atmosphere. As karelm said the performance is so straight. If it's real something's gone horribly wrong..

Indeed!! I'm surprised how many times people here point and identify trailer music/promo bits as "Williams". Nothing I've heard so far has Williams' inherent musical traits.

Even this little bit, which tries to mimic Williams colours decently, lacks the musicality that Karelm so aptly pointed out.

Wake up people!