Force Awakens ABC TV Spot - CONFIRMED premiere of Williams' score!

Tom

The Music In The Spot  

59 members have voted

1. 1. Is the music from 0:03-0:38 in this TV spot written by John Williams?

• Definitely John Williams - probably written a while back for potential trailer use
    • Definitely John WIlliams - It's gotta be from the Force Awakens score!
    • Definitely John WIlliams, but redone / remixed to sound more "trailery"
    • Definitely not John Williams!

This poll is closed to new votes

Another thing, remember how Star Wars immediately confirmed on Twitter that the first teaser was Williams, a few hours after it premiered?

I mean, why aren't they flaunting this if it's new music?

Another thing, remember how Star Wars immediately confirmed on Twitter that the first teaser was Williams, a few hours after it premiered?

Yes, that’s new John Williams score in #TheForceAwakens teaser.

— Star Wars (@starwars) November 28, 2014

Perhaps some of Williams' legendary modesty has rubbed on the whole SW team. ;)

Yes, thats new John Williams score in #TheForceAwakens teaser. Star Wars (@starwars) November 28, 2014

I was thinking the same thing. If it was Williams, I'd tend to think that they would have said something by now. Then again, it does sound like an interpretation of something he has written.

This guy seems to be convinced too - https://twitter.com/DavidWCollins/status/665198136546078721 & https://twitter.com/DavidWCollins/status/665197775508770816

Gordy Haab, who worked on new Star Wars Battlefront game seems to think this is Williams too and I think it is safe to say that is also is a JWfan and knows his style quite well,

https://twitter.com/GordyHaab/status/665220709401030656

I just want a straight answer! Then I can begin my coping process.

I'm starting to think some trailer guy got this little TV spot and thought it'd be fun to try writing a Star Wars tune, not anticipating the huge shock to everyone's system that a commercial would have something remotely melodious.

I agree that the ghostwriters added 'enhanced' bling to make it all Zimmery. Variety says "portions" of the score were used. I think that's probably the most honest assessment.

I also have to say that if this IS Johnny Baby, then Michael's going to look like a genius in 30 years when this thing is iconic.

And if it isn't, then many people around here are going to look like fools!

Especially Marcus with that post:

The new theme is certainly catchy. And good. The first statement (flute w/oboe/clarinet doubling (typical Williams color), not synth) sounds like the second half of an initial statement. The bridging chords hint at The Imperial March/Dark Side, whereas the rest of the theme seems linked to the Force theme. I like the interallic inversion and slight rhythmic variation of the horns' entrance. Also like the low celesta intro (another Williams color).

If this turns out not to be Williams music, this post will be comedy gold!

I would be sincerely baffled if this new theme isn't penned by Williams. I just can't think of anyone else getting it so right with such simplicity. Maybe the simplicity throws some people off, but to me, the melodic construction, the rhythms, intervals and cadences, all seem genuine, and still surprising enough to not be pastiche work. There's something almost unlikely about it, perhaps its somewhat barren melodic profile, but it's precisely this unlikely quality that has me convinced (or fooled, should such be the case). That, and the fact that the theme is instantly memorable, seemingly related to the musical lore and lingo of Star Wars, and that it's a highly pliable theme, something you'd expect constructed by a master tunesmith.

Could the author of the Variety article simply be assuming its from Williams' TFA score, and didn't do any actual fact checking?

I'd still keep the thread title to "possible"

Could the author of the Variety article simply be assuming its from Williams' TFA score, and didn't do any actual fact checking?

I think this is the case.

I think it's a beautiful theme. And, again, a theme with tremendous potential for development and variation. As is, it's a yearning, rather melancholy theme, and a close cousin of the more wistful renditions of the Force theme (it already shares tonality and certain textural traits with "Binary Sunset"). Can't wait to hear how it plays out within the context of the score. Easily the best theme since "The Book Thief".

Have we already begun to wax poetry on about 30 seconds of music that MIGHT be John Williams? JWFan never disappoints!

I'm sorry.

That music was sooooo dope bruv. Dis was the best theme theme since The Book Thief, which was clearly da best theme since Lincoln, which was da best since War Horse....you get the idea. Johnny is da bomb, baby.

Unless, it turns out not to be Williams of course...

Have we already begun to wax poetry on about 30 seconds of music that MIGHT be John Williams? JWFan never disappoints!

I reserve my waxing for music that actually warrants it. But when it does, be it (half) a theme or an entire opera, I'm unashamed to praise.

I think it's a beautiful theme. And, again, a theme with tremendous potential for development and variation. As is, it's a yearning, rather melancholy theme, and a close cousin of the more wistful renditions of the Force theme (it already shares tonality and certain textural traits with "Binary Sunset"). Can't wait to hear how it plays out within the context of the score. Easily the best theme since "The Book Thief".

~ :up: :up: :up:

I definitely think this is Williams, albeit processed.

I am thinking its a demo of one of his compositions, made (by someone other than Williams of course) for JJ/the production team.

I think the arrangement is entirely Williams, except for the slight swooshes and whatnot added on top for the trailer (as well as the drums/rhythmic impulses before the recap of the crescendo from the 2nd teaser). We can't know if it's in sequence, but to my ears, it plays like a concert arrangement, which has me thinking it's one of the central themes. I don't get the obsession with processing some of you seem to have? I think your ears are confused and confounded by the previous TV spots & trailer...