Force Awakens ABC TV Spot - CONFIRMED premiere of Williams' score!

Tom

The Music In The Spot  

59 members have voted

1. 1. Is the music from 0:03-0:38 in this TV spot written by John Williams?

• Definitely John Williams - probably written a while back for potential trailer use
    • Definitely John WIlliams - It's gotta be from the Force Awakens score!
    • Definitely John WIlliams, but redone / remixed to sound more "trailery"
    • Definitely not John Williams!

This poll is closed to new votes

For me the flutes give it away as a John Williams theme. I really don't like how it's been "sweetened" for the trailer but it's beautiful nonetheless. Can't wait to hear the rest of it and its variations.

Sounds like pure Williams to me:

It's his themes at least ;)

Not a fan of that music. Disappointing considering the music in the last couple TV spots was really good.

that was the worst one yet

These trailers represent how JJ's music tastes have changed across the process of creating the film. It was all so promising to begin with!

As if JJ was so involved with making a TV spot!

Would be funny if it turns out not to be Williams though!

haha ! but you know that it can't be ;)

Trailer's music composers don't know what a flute is, and they have no musical knowledge...so, if it's not Williams, it can only be extract from a music library...but, excepted the "trailerish" bass drum, it sounds like the maestro

Can't get this out of my head...

It's all about the three notes from Vader's theme.

Williams started to play with it in Anakin's theme, and I am convinced now that he did the same with Rey's theme ( as she seems to be Vader's heiress. Everything start with Anakin, that's why the spiritual legacy is related to him and not to Luke or Leia)

This can't be done randomly by Williams (and we have here "Major" variation of Vader's theme) :

I'm enjoying your speculation. Ignore the haters!

Would be funny if it turns out not to be Williams though!

I'm liking the videos too. I still think it's just alright as the start of a new theme, but the Vader comparisons are interesting and would make sense. As Ulyssesian said, I'm happy to trust Williams' skill with getting "mileage" out of a tune, increasing memorability through development and variation.

The 0:18-0:35 bit just sounds like a trailer guy taking over, though. Feels awkward and hammy, I can't imagine that's how it would carry on in a proper concert arrangement unless there are further subtleties and nuances that I'm missing...

¡Ah, vecino chileno!

¡Un gusto saludarte de nuevo! :)

Anakin's Theme is a very good example of how Williams is good at playing with variations/modulations/development on his own themes. I'm sure he did something akin to that for The Force Awakens too.

I agree. He takes the most distinctive gesture of Darth Vader's theme and plays with possibilities, which could really be endless. This last video of Unofficial But True shows this procedure. I couldn't really tell for certain if it's intentional or not, but it's in the music and I think it gives continuity to the seven scores, like a big symphony that's being written over a large time span.

I had some doubts myself at first listen

but this passage alone is enough to be convinced :

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qDcf4rkp0MA

There is too much convergence : a trailer guy don't know what a harp glissando is, the use of Vader's theme chords, and the sound/position of the harp

a trailer guy don't know what a harp glissando is

Is this actually meant to be sound reasoning?

Yes, because it mean that it can't be done by a trailer guy...it's just an additionnal point to remove this probability.

I am sorry but those "composers" are raping Williams themes by creating dumbed-down "Zimmerish" versions of his music...which makes me furious...I don't want to be kind with them.

Not to mention using the Imperial March chord progression is hardly a novel musical approach. It's been used by Williams and many Williams imitators quite a bit. And it wouldn't be that far-fetched to propose trailer music folks using it.

Only thing that really suggest otherwise in this clip are the orchestrations.

a trailer guy don't know what a harp glissando is

Is this actually meant to be sound reasoning?

Yes, because it mean that it can't be done by a trailer guy...it's just an additionnal point to remove this probability.

I am sorry but those "composers" are raping Williams themes by creating dumbed-down "Zimmerish" versions of his music...which makes me furious...I don't want to be kind with them.

You are wrong. Foolish, ignorant, and rude. No, this is not sarcasm.

Not to mention using the Imperial March chord progression is hardly a novel musical approach.

if the purpose here is to find if it's an extract of the new score, I think that mention the use of Vader's chords is a good argument because a trailer guy would not have used Vader's chords in this way...but in Zimmer's way...so, once again, trailer's guys are out (excepted to add some bass drum)

the only thing that matter to me is that we have new music, new variation of Vader's chords, with a real orchestra, good orchestration, to illustrate a new bad guy related to Vader...well...it seems that truth is obvious

You are wrong. Foolish, ignorant, and rude. No, this is not sarcasm.

I accept it

There are plenty of talented, established composers whose career took them from being a trailer/jingle composer to writing scores for either video games, television or cinema, UBT. Martin O'Donnel and John Powell, for example.

Of course there are always exceptions.

But let me be clear : I was a little harsh against trailer's guys but finaly I'm not angry against individuals but against a general trend.

The situation is serious, orchestral music will die because of this shitty "modern" style you can hear everywhere...this zimmerish/trailerish style who requires two fingers, a computer and no musical knowledge... always based on the same drums, brass and choirs...

I am angry to see that even Star Wars was hit ... and even if it is only a trailer, this is a first step that worried me...

Williams is clearly one of the last Jedi

Zimmer's fans strike back...and it hurts !

You're making yourself look extraordinarily silly. Please stop.

why are you talking to a silly, foolish, ignorant, and rude person ? this is madness, move on