Force Awakens ABC TV Spot - CONFIRMED premiere of Williams' score!

Tom

The Music In The Spot  

59 members have voted

1. 1. Is the music from 0:03-0:38 in this TV spot written by John Williams?

• Definitely John Williams - probably written a while back for potential trailer use
    • Definitely John WIlliams - It's gotta be from the Force Awakens score!
    • Definitely John WIlliams, but redone / remixed to sound more "trailery"
    • Definitely not John Williams!

This poll is closed to new votes

Yeah, but I'm sure at first, when you listened to KOTCS, you were like that:

funny-animal-pictures-221.png

My body was instantly covered in hair, my pupils turned into vertical lines and I grew a tail?

How did you know?? Have you hacked into my webcam!?

Williams' commercial instincts probably are still strong enough that he realizes that his more antiquated style of writing from around the late 70's will not do a lot of good this time around, so the new themes will be memorable (and even this thing we talk about here is) but much more blunt, less ornamented.

I doubt Abrams' kind of filmmaking allows for perfumed mush like 'Across the Stars' so ironically Williams veers now much closer to lean-and-mean Goldsmith territory.

Imperial March is pretty blunt. I'm happy for Williams to continue that writing style rather than the ornamental style from the prequels.

Ask a common moviegoer to hum the 9 note Battle of the Heroes motif and they'll struggle to hum half

This sounds more like a lean and mean post-"No Man's Land" Williams than traditional Star Wars Williams. I'm excited.

Can we all now admit that Jerry Goldsmith beat John Williams to the streamlining punch by about 20 years?

This sounds more like a lean and mean post-"No Man's Land" Williams than traditional Star Wars Williams. I'm excited.

Can we all now admit that Jerry Goldsmith beat John Williams to the streamlining punch by about 20 years?

Yes, Lhokne Mulb. Let's just hope he doesn't get as sterile as Goldsmith sometimes did though.

It's such a common construction...and one of these days i will remember the actual tune(s) it reminds me of. I have heard this before.

Hint: You heard it in a major science fiction dud this year. Scored by a long time colleague of JJ Abrams. It's the third track of that film's album.

Same construction, John Williams takes it in a slightly more emotionally ambiguous direction though.

People have been preaching the death of orchestral music for centuries. You are as wrong as everyone before you.

To be fair, there hadn't been scalable instruments that could displace orchestras in the last centuries. We live in uncertain times.

This particular arrangement is NOT Williams'. I'll eat my shorts if it is. Don't care if it's been allegedly "confirmed". But I have no doubt that it's original Williams at the core.

I really like the melody so I'm happy that its Williams. I thought the melody could have been Williams, but the arrangement threw me off as well. Plus, I never thought Disney would premiere Williams' music in a TV spot.... especially without any sort of announcement or tweet.

I'm starting to think the section is by the trailer house, taking only the flute solo from the film recording

Now that it's confirmed Williams I guess I like it

What??

Well, that's not very different from liking some random score just because it was written by your favorite composer. And that happens everywhere, all the time (even here of course).

Holy crap, scroll back to page 14. Somebody (Ricard?) edited a bunch of posts to remove the guy's name, and the guy removed his post from Conrad's Facebook. So I guess he got in trouble?

Does that mean he was wrong? Or doe that mean he was right but Disney doesn't want us to know that was Williams' flute solo?

Williams "optioned" other music for the trailers? What does that mean? He recorded additional music they rejected?

I would assume it means he wrote and recorded two versions (or "options") of music for the 2nd teaser.

Yea, to me it means he recorded 2 different pieces of music for potential use in Teaser 2, and Disney chose neither.

I hope we get to hear them someday.

Or at the very least, the chose not to use the full cues, and had a trailer house mix:

1: cues from the OST's
2: bits from the two options (most likely the very opening IMHO)
3: their own music

and created an arrangement.