JAWS - 2015 Intrada 2CD Release (Complete film tracks & original LP re-recording)

Jay

Basically when they made the film in 1975 they knew it would have a mono sound mix. They didn't record the score in stereo, but not just mono either; They recorded it as 3 tracks. But it wasn't the traditional 3-track structure (left, center, right) that would become the standard, but rather.... something else. Some odd unique setup that nobody alive now likely remembers why it was done that way. Basically each track had a different grouping of instruments.

Yes, I always thought that the "The Empty Rafy" bit of music that was recycled for the opening sequence of 1941 (much more evident on the isolated music channels of the 1995 Laserdisc and 1999 DVD) does have a weird stereo separation. Figures...

Look nice!

Great :)

Ordering Jaws & 2 right now :)

Why?

Well it is almost 2 weeks since my order of Jaws 2 and there is still no shipping notice from Intrada. Did they run out of copies or are they swamped by all the orders flooding in?

And with the current poor state of Finnish postal service it might take a few weeks before Jaws or the sequel reach me.

Incanus, It's out of stock at intrada. they say 'back in stock 1-2 weeks'

http://store.intrada.com/s.nl?sc=13&category=&whence=&search=jaws

Look nice!

Great :)

Ordering Jaws & 2 right now :)

Why?

Well it is almost 2 weeks since my order of Jaws 2 and there is still no shipping notice from Intrada. Did they run out of copies or are they swamped by all the orders flooding in?

And with the current poor state of Finnish postal service it might take a few weeks before Jaws or the sequel reach me.

Incanus, It's out of stock at intrada. they say 'back in stock 1-2 weeks'

http://store.intrada.com/s.nl?sc=13&category=&whence=&search=jaws

I know. I just thought that since I ordered on the 4th of November, a day after the release of the album, I might have had as chance to get in on the first batch but apparently no.

Yeah, it must be that. Mine shipped last Thursday. And I ordered it the minute it came out.

It's great that Intrada is doing so well.

Karol

Alas the Intrada release schedule time doesn't comfortably coincide with my normal waking hours. ;)

I ordered from music box records...

It costed me 73 € from intrada (thanks to low EURO, VISA + paypal + my bank echange rates...), so with music box i payd 4 € more but using special shipping, with tracking and insurance of replacement if package is lost. It's a lot of money and since i have never used intrada directly...i was not sure if i was risking a possible 'missing parcel'...

And they have Jaws 2 on stock, so they only have to wait for Jaws to arrive....

Oh well they dont have Jaws 2 in stock either...

XD

I think they even received their 1st batch. since Jaws is available next week, and Jaws 2 was released 2 weeks ago...

I'll have to wait too....

For the next time, have you europeans have any delivery problems with intrada?

The remaining Spielberg/Williams/Universal titles are

The Sugarland Express

ET The Extra-Terrestrial

Always

Jurassic Park

Schindler's List
The Lost World

I know which one I'd want next...

And Always?

The best one! There's always The Sugarland Express (and yes, I know the story that Williams didn't want it released, but things change) and Munich, which Koray would love.

I don't understand if Jaws and Jaws 2 are limited. Do you need to get it ASAP?

I don't understand if Jaws and Jaws 2 are limited. Do you need to get it ASAP?

Jaws is unlimited.

Jaws 2 is limited. Intrada never states the amount of copies its limited to, but I'd case in this case its probably 10,000 copies. But it could be 5,000. I don't know.

Intrada made limited editions early on, like Poltergeist 2. Why did you choose to make it a limited run, and not a regular release?
We look at the audience for each title. We know a title like The Great Escape is going be a perpetual seller. I know we haven’t released these, but compare and contrast titles like Jaws and Jaws 2. Jaws would be a perpetual seller, but probably not so much Jaws 2. So we decide if we want to keep the title around for a while, and it will continually sell, it belongs on our regular catalog. If it has a short shelf life in terms of interest, it goes in the limited collectors’ series. Limited only by demand, not specific unit counts we decide up front.

http://www.underscores.fr/rencontres/interviews-vo/2015/10/interview-with-roger-feigelson-vo/

ET The Extra-Terrestrial

Always

Jurassic Park

Schindler's List

The Lost World

E.T. E.T. EEEEEE.TEEEEEE!!!!

Why is Jaws unlimited?

I simply guess people at Intrada certainly think that the soundtrack to Jaws should always remain in print, given the significance of the film and its score in movie history.

Yep.

Mike Matessino just posted an explanation to FSM about why some tracks are titled the way they are:

One thing I find curious: there're several tracks noted as "Film" or "Extended Version" without their counterpart (alternate or short version).

Them being:

04. The Empty Raft (Extended Version) (1:45)

06. Father And Son (Film Version) (1:59)

11. Out To Sea (Film Version) (1:01)

Anybody knows the story behind that?

Ironically some cues that actually DO have alternates are not labeled as "Film Version" (18. Shark Tows Orca / 25. Quint Meets His End).

This is purely administrative. The tracks you listed already exist in the UME database as "song titles" for an album called Jaws. Therefore the exact titles can't be used again unless the content is exactly the same.* So rather than invent new titles, we apply parentheticals such as "Film Version" and "Extended Version" or "Alternate," whichever is the most appropriate. On the Decca release, "The Empty Raft" didn't have the ending phrase, while both "Father And Son" and "Out To Sea" segued into other cues. We've employed this methodology on Empire of the Sun and A.I. and are continuing with it going forward even though things have been done differently (and sometimes haphazardly) in the past.

(* If a track is just remastered but the content is the same, then the same title can be retained.)

And there are occasional exceptions, of course. We could have retained the title "Shark Attack" for "Quint Meets His End" but reverted to the original cue title because the score is now in film order and because we had an alternate. Plus the cue title was also used on the Varese rerecording.

Mike M.

http://filmscoremonthly.com/board/posts.cfm?forumID=1&threadID=112702&

I'll be removing any "(Extended Version") or "(Film Version)" notations from the tags of my digital files, personally

The Sugarland Express

ET The Extra-Terrestrial

Always

Jurassic Park

Schindler's List

The Lost World

My prediction for Intrada's next release of the Maestro's work is E.T. The Extra-Terrestrial (2 CD). The complete score on disc 1 and the original LP album plus alternates on disc 2, all remastered.

The complete score + alternates wouldn't fit on disc 1. It'd be complete score disc 1, LP + alternates on Disc 2.

This needs to happen!

I dunno what either of you are thinking of. Neither specialty label has publicly said they are working on JP.

I think an expansion of The Lost World is more likely than the original, due to that one getting a major label expansion 2 years ago.

I dunno what either of you are thinking of. Neither specialty label has publicly said they are working on JP.

I think an expansion of The Lost World is more likely than the original, due to that one getting a major label expansion 2 years ago.

Well when the 20th anniversary JP tracks showed up on iTunes, MV said LLL was not working on the JP series. I haven't seen any comments on JP from anyone at Intrada.

There are a few franchises really late to this complete/chronological/remastered party. You mighta heard of 'em:

Don't forget Temple of Doom!

I'll be removing any "(Extended Version") or "(Film Version)" notations from the tags of my digital files, personally

I was thinking the same.

The Sugarland Express

ET The Extra-Terrestrial

Always

Jurassic Park

Schindler's List

The Lost World

I don't! I still haven't even heard The Sugarland Express or Always. I'd be thrilled to have any of the others though!

I don't think that comes into play any more. The specialty labels have shown that anything can be released at any time.

That being said, if they got the license to that right now, it might not be done until 2017 anyway the way approvals seem to take lately! :)