JAWS - 2015 Intrada 2CD Release (Complete film tracks & original LP re-recording)

Jay

I don't think that comes into play any more. The specialty labels have shown that anything can be released at any time.

That being said, if they got the license to that right now, it might not be done until 2017 anyway the way approvals seem to take lately! :)

Very true. Matessino has certainly built an impressive relationship with Mr Williams over the years though, the fruits are certainly showing now.

After the changes Williams forced upon the Indy and Hook expansions, who would've thought he'd ever allow a 3CD AI release, then both his Jaws scores complete like this?

All that said, I still think Lost World would be a long shot considering Universal expanded JP themselves, but TLW deserves a proper release so desperately.

Schindler's List got leaked in big fashion so I guess there is less demand for an entire score. Plus the reason of that movie makes it less demanding for a complete score vs (it's not a score of the most importance in the grand scheme of classical composition in the 20th century a la Jaws which also catapulted a director/composer into stardom). The single CD is satisfying as opposed to TLW per example.

All I need for now is a VIP treatment for E.T. by Intrada and the same for CE3K (which is probably something LLL would do).

The rest of the titles I guess I can wait a while...

Yep.

Mike Matessino just posted an explanation to FSM about why some tracks are titled the way they are:

One thing I find curious: there're several tracks noted as "Film" or "Extended Version" without their counterpart (alternate or short version).

Them being:

04. The Empty Raft (Extended Version) (1:45)

06. Father And Son (Film Version) (1:59)

11. Out To Sea (Film Version) (1:01)

Anybody knows the story behind that?

Ironically some cues that actually DO have alternates are not labeled as "Film Version" (18. Shark Tows Orca / 25. Quint Meets His End).

This is purely administrative. The tracks you listed already exist in the UME database as "song titles" for an album called Jaws. Therefore the exact titles can't be used again unless the content is exactly the same.* So rather than invent new titles, we apply parentheticals such as "Film Version" and "Extended Version" or "Alternate," whichever is the most appropriate. On the Decca release, "The Empty Raft" didn't have the ending phrase, while both "Father And Son" and "Out To Sea" segued into other cues. We've employed this methodology on Empire of the Sun and A.I. and are continuing with it going forward even though things have been done differently (and sometimes haphazardly) in the past.

(* If a track is just remastered but the content is the same, then the same title can be retained.)

And there are occasional exceptions, of course. We could have retained the title "Shark Attack" for "Quint Meets His End" but reverted to the original cue title because the score is now in film order and because we had an alternate. Plus the cue title was also used on the Varese rerecording.

Mike M.

http://filmscoremonthly.com/board/posts.cfm?forumID=1&threadID=112702&

I have another question:

Why didn't they use the original cue title "Work Montage" for The Shark Cage fugue?

edit: anyway, I'll ask at FSM.

there is an original version of Father and Son that isn't in the cd (the film version is a revised version: 4m1R). So, I assume it wasn't recorded.

The original version was never recorded, no. There's only one version.

That cue is one of my favourites from the score.

i wonder if the original one was substantially different. We'll never know. :(

Yes! Love the colorful seventh chords and the subtly stirring pedal tone underneath. Simple, but effective and touching.

I ordered from music box records...

It costed me 73 € from intrada (thanks to low EURO, VISA + paypal + my bank echange rates...), so with music box i payd 4 € more but using special shipping, with tracking and insurance of replacement if package is lost. It's a lot of money and since i have never used intrada directly...i was not sure if i was risking a possible 'missing parcel'...

And they have Jaws 2 on stock, so they only have to wait for Jaws to arrive....

I never had particular problems when ordering directly from Intrada in the past, save for a couple of missing parcels lost in transit (but that wasn't their fault).

Anyway, I ordered both Jaws and Jaws 2 from Music Box store too for the exact same reasons you gave. I already used their service a few times before and they're quite fast and reliable with shipping.

I have another question:

Why didn't they use the original cue title "Work Montage" for The Shark Cage fugue?

Re: "The Shark Cage Fugue" -- there's another case where a decision had to be made about a track title. We could have used "Work Montage," but John Williams asked to keep the previously published title because it tells you that this is a cue on which his concert suite was based. It was also because we already have a track called "Montage" and because, unlike the generic "Shark Attack," it's clear what scene it goes with.
Mike M.

Use 'the shark cage fugue' as title, baby.-J Williams.

I ordered from music box records...

It costed me 73 € from intrada (thanks to low EURO, VISA + paypal + my bank echange rates...), so with music box i payd 4 € more but using special shipping, with tracking and insurance of replacement if package is lost. It's a lot of money and since i have never used intrada directly...i was not sure if i was risking a possible 'missing parcel'...

And they have Jaws 2 on stock, so they only have to wait for Jaws to arrive....

I never had particular problems when ordering directly from Intrada in the past, save for a couple of missing parcels lost in transit (but that wasn't their fault).

Anyway, I ordered both Jaws and Jaws 2 from Music Box store too for the exact same reasons you gave. I already used their service a few times before and they're quite fast and reliable with shipping.

Thanks! thats reasuring. It's not the fault of Intrada of course, but to pay so much shipping costs for regular shipping and you can never know if they will be nice to send a replacement, specially if it's not their fault. And these are expensive set, not your regular 15$ OST.

I have never had any problems with LLL either, but this problem still could be possible... And i think that their shipping costs it too high because many parcels being lost to Spain... and maybe some dishonest customer asking for a replacement with the discs in their hand... Still tracking number and insurance of replacement should be included at that price.

I have never had any problems when ordering from Intrada and their delivery is usually prompt. Not quite LLL level (3 day delivery to Europe once) but still reliable. At least to Finland.

But the shipping rates are painfully high these days.

Just checking my emails and LLL has tracking numbers.

That's true. Very handy. Last year I tracked down my Elfman Batman Collection after it had been delivered to a wrong post office and went to pick it up to avoid 3 extra days of delivery time the postal service might have taken to get it to me on their own.

And Intrada too has tracking numbers. I just checked my Jaws 2 shipping notice. :)

Anybody live in the U.S., order it on Monday and received a shipping confirmation yet? I haven't gotten a shipping confirmation yet (I know it is gonna be soon). I'm just curious. I'm obviously really excited to get it.

I ordered it Monday but it's still pending fulfillment on my Intrada account. No email confirmation with shipping. It took a week before Jaws 2 went out too, so this doesn't seem abnormal. Don't you worry!

What a perfect way to celebrate the 40th anniversary of Jaws. Thank you, Maestro, Mike Matessino, and all involved in this wonderful release, in addition to Jaws 2.

I received no such notice!

The new Jaws isnt available through Amazon at this moment.

I know, I usually wait for Intrada to post them on Amazon, but considering how fast these titles are moving, I decided to play it safe and order direct. I ordered Jaws 2 and BTTF Part II in the same order. At the time, BTTF Part II would be in stock within 2 weeks. I don't think they put aside a copy of Jaws 2, as BTTF Part II is back in stock and now Jaws 2 won't be in stock for 2 weeks.

You're not THE Jim Shooter, right?

No, I'm not. Sorry to dissapoint. I'm just an ordinary John Williams and comic book fan.

Exceptional fans and graphic novel enthusiast only!

Kidding, you're totally welcome. ;)

So, I guess his score to Jaws will be shipped out sometime next week, if not this weekend, since I was one of the first, if not the first, to order it. Am I right on that?

I know that I am gonna get them; I'm just excited.

So, I guess his score to Jaws will be shipped out sometime next week, if not this weekend, since I was one of the first, if not the first, to order it. Am I right on that?

Next week per Intrada.