JAWS - 2015 Intrada 2CD Release (Complete film tracks & original LP re-recording)

Jay

It's a very well made album.

Once you've heard it 50 times, you'll check out the film score presentation again and enjoy all the new music in that that isn't on the album.

The performances are weaker in places, the sound quality is not better, just a different kind of bad, it's missing representations of great cues, and some of the extensions don't work for me at all, like Promenade - it's a lovely bit of sillyness in the film score after we had a proper buildup and right before a catalyst event/cue, it's an irrelevant bit of bloat at double the length on the OST without much buildup, and similarly Out to Sea's greatness was in its brevity.

44 minutes ago, Þekþiþm said:

I bet Holko complains about the ET OST too, just because it's an OST.

It sucks. It fundamentally misunderstands everything great about the score.

• 1 year later...
On 11/17/2015 at 8:19 PM, Jay said:

The remaining Spielberg/Williams/Universal titles are

The Sugarland Express

ET The Extra-Terrestrial

Always

Jurassic Park

Schindler's List
The Lost World

I know which one I'd want next...

This was almost 6 years ago and only one left to go. :)

10 hours ago, crocodile said:

Since there is nowhere else to put it... I love this so much. ❤️

Karol - huge fan of the channel 

Me too.

On 3/15/2020 at 3:26 PM, Holko said:

Simply redoing it with only Disc 1 would be the simplest, the OST is worse anyway.

No it is not. The original soundtrack is a wonderful listening experience. John put all the best music on it. 

1 hour ago, JoeinAR said:

No it is not. The original soundtrack is a wonderful listening experience. John put all the best music on it. 

I was thinking the other day they could perform the whole thing live as one concert suite. Would love to hear that. It just flows so beautifully. 

Karol

16 hours ago, crocodile said:

I was thinking the other day they could perform the whole thing live as one concert suite. Would love to hear that. It just flows so beautifully. 

Karol

Ive heard Jaws in concert. Its always disappointing. No live rendition sounds as good as the OST. Its a rare oddity but true.

On 7/14/2021 at 10:03 AM, Chewy said:

The long awaited reissue of JAWS can finally be purchased!

image.png

Seems like Intrada slightly adjusted the program and even added exclusive screensavers on disc 2, amazing!

@crumbs Don't miss this one!

What kind of dumbass release ist this?! They can't be serious about leaving off the Typewriter cue. Would have made for a well-rounded listening experience.

Hello there.

I finally understood what they did on the 2000 Jaws Collector's Edition, yes it took me 21 years!

So it's a compromise between a C&C presentation and a sequencing done by JW, for a better listening experience.

Basically, it brings the "The Shark Cage Fugue" and "Shark Attack" cues at the beginning to avoid the listener to fall asleep. And there's also some edited tracks made with alt cues and whatever...

Good idea, Mr. Williams!

As I know, @Jay created a very usefull cue sheet for Jaws, so is it possible to recreate (not a 100%) the "2000" CD program, but using the 2015 cues, and without EDITING?

Can someone post that playlist plz???

1. 01    Jaws - Main Title
  2. 02    The First Victim
  3. 03    Remains On The Beach
  4. 04    The Empty Raft
  5. 05    The Pier Incident
  6. 22    The Shark Cage Fugue
  7. 25    Quint Meets His End
  8. 08    Ben Gardner's Boat
  9. 09    Montage
  10. 06    Father And Son
  11. 07    The Alimentary Canal
  12. 10    Into The Estuary
  13. 11    Out To Sea
  14. 12    Tug On The Line
  15. 13    Man Against Beast
  16. 14    Quint's Tale
  17. 15    Brody Panics
  18. 16    Barrel Off Starboard
  19. 17    Great Chase
  20. 19    Three Barrels Under
  21. 20    From Bad To Worse
  22. 21    Quint Thinks It Over
  23. 23    The Shark Approaches
  24. 24    The Shark Hits The Cage
  25. 26    Blown To Bits
  26. 27    Jaws - End Title

Looks like a weird stupid program. Those climactic payoff cues thrown early with no buildup reek of those randomised OSTs.

Just now, Bespin said:

FIXED.

I'm still convinced everyone who unironically uses "listening experience" uses it in a way that's completely opposite to what I'd normally think.

Get yourself an attention span if you can't get through a 50 minute masterpiece of a score.

3 minutes ago, Jay said:

The Intrada disc 1 is perfect as is, and superior to the Decca program.

And sounds better than Disc 2.

On 15/07/2021 at 9:59 AM, Jay said:
  1. 01    Jaws - Main Title
  2. 02    The First Victim
  3. 03    Remains On The Beach
  4. 04    The Empty Raft
  5. 05    The Pier Incident
  6. 22    The Shark Cage Fugue
  7. 25    Quint Meets His End
  8. 08    Ben Gardner's Boat
  9. 09    Montage
  10. 06    Father And Son
  11. 07    The Alimentary Canal
  12. 10    Into The Estuary
  13. 11    Out To Sea
  14. 12    Tug On The Line
  15. 13    Man Against Beast
  16. 14    Quint's Tale
  17. 15    Brody Panics
  18. 16    Barrel Off Starboard
  19. 17    Great Chase
  20. 19    Three Barrels Under
  21. 20    From Bad To Worse
  22. 21    Quint Thinks It Over
  23. 23    The Shark Approaches
  24. 24    The Shark Hits The Cage
  25. 26    Blown To Bits
  26. 27    Jaws - End Title

So you don't try to reproduce the version of the "The Great Chase" as it appears on the Decca disc? It's a montage with the alt intro, etc.

The movie should be edited to match the Decca CD program.

Quinn should die at the beginning of the movie, then the rest of the movie should be a flashback.

Spielberg is a jerk!!!

8 minutes ago, Bespin said:

So you don't try to reproduce the version of the "The Great Chase" as it appears on the Decca disc? It's a montage with the alt intro, etc.

You asked for a playlist without editing

• 9 months later...

I was just thinking... this reissue has been a long time in the works.  Do you suppose Mike Matessino is giving it a sonic upgrade?

4 hours ago, Andy said:

I was just thinking... this reissue has been a long time in the works.  Do you suppose Mike Matessino is giving it a sonic upgrade?

Hmm... well, better masters did exist at some point for Jaws. But according to Mike, they no longer exist. They only had a 1/2" 3-track source for the film score cues in 2015. Courtesy of Jay's interview:

What was the specific recording technology and medium used for recording Jaws?

It was 1/2” 3M stock containing three-track mix downs. They are not first-generation masters but were made at Universal from the recording elements done at Fox, which no longer exist. Hiss is something common on 1/2” and it seems to become more prominent as the tape itself starts deteriorating.

And the multi-track masters of the album sessions are lost as well :(

What was the recording process and medium used for these sessions, and how was it different from the film tracks recording?

Unfortunately we don’t know much about the process because no master tapes could be found. Because there was a Quadrophonic release we know that it wasn’t a live stereo mix, so there would have been multi-track tapes at some point. I was really hoping those might be found, but it was not to be. In fact, there is no tape element of any kind in the UMG inventory. The oldest element is the 1630 CD master made in 1992.

Maybe a better source turned up in the last few years for the film sessions or the album sessions? Or Mike thought he could do a better job with the same elements from 2015?

I'm holding out hope Intrada found a way to improve the album for a reissue, rather than removing 25% of the music.

Who knows, maybe JW has mellowed on source music in the last 7 years and wouldn't mind including that omitted music for a reissue? Would that make the assembly sufficiently different for the AFM?