JAWS - 2015 Intrada 2CD Release (Complete film tracks & original LP re-recording)

Jay

Thanks for the info.  While I'm hoping another source might have turned up, I just can't help but notice a trend in reissues lately to give a little tweak because they can.  Even with Star Trek TMP, minor though it may be.  But Jaws could still use all the help it can get.

I have a good feeling that a reissue is finally coming through. Its my shark instinct telling me.

4 minutes ago, Jurassic Shark said:

Then you can finally get your third backup copy. ;)

Now Iam ok with my 1 copy. Plus I have the Mondo Vinyl ! -Now that's a beaut!

19 minutes ago, Amer said:

I have a good feeling that a reissue is finally coming through. Its my shark instinct telling me.

Would be welcomed. The 2015 intrada sells for 100+ euros on eBay....

Is it really a reissue if 25% of the content has been removed?

Fingers crossed they found better sources/the lost multitracks and were able to improve the audio quality.

• 2 months later...
21 minutes ago, Corellian2019 said:

Anyone think that a soundtrack reissue is possible for a tie-in with the 3D and IMAX re-release of the film?

i sure hope so. i missed this one unfortunately. sucks that it could have less tracks too, but i'll take it.

I'd love it if Jaws & Jaws 2 were redone and the source music was released. Plus, Idk if anyone else knows about or knows why, but the End Titles of Jaws 2 has a tiny little glitch in that I don't think is heard in the film even though there's minor sfx in the background. It'd be nice if it was fixed but its not a huge issue. Not as bad as the pop in the 2022 reissue of Jurassic Park in T-Rex Rescue & Finale.

2 hours ago, Brando said:

I'd love it if Jaws & Jaws 2 were redone and the source music was released. Plus, Idk if anyone else knows about or knows why, but the End Titles of Jaws 2 has a tiny little glitch in that I don't think is heard in the film even though there's minor sfx in the background. It'd be nice if it was fixed but its not a huge issue. Not as bad as the pop in the 2022 reissue of Jurassic Park in T-Rex Rescue & Finale.

What's the timestamp? I don't think I see anything unusual on the spectrogram. 

2 hours ago, Brando said:

I’d love also if more source music, like the film version of the marching band in Jaws, was included. 
On Jaws 2 i’d also love if the source cues that Williams vetoed on the previous edition were added. But also a fresh remaster on this one would be good. The low bass is a bit low on the mix (maybe the volume of the center channel is a bit lower than it should?) and also some hiss could be minimized.

There's seemingly two ways Intrada could reissue Jaws without gutting the tracklist:

1. Reissue the score with Jaws 2 in a box set, seeing as both scores are OOP anyway

2. Adding the vetoed source music. JW seems to have softened his stance on this, if Eiger is any indication. It's been 7 years so maybe he'll be okay with releasing the source music now?

Both options make a lot more sense than deleting all the bonus tracks.

1 hour ago, Manakin Skywalker said:

What's the timestamp? I don't think I see anything unusual on the spectrogram. 

0:39. Like there’s a strange tiny tiny dip there. 

Yeah, not sure what the deal with that is exactly.

While we’re at it, Jaws 3 definitely needs to be revisited, re-edited, and re-structured. Organizing a custom film sequence of that score was an absolute nightmare. Some stuff is still missing, certain “film versions” aren’t quite accurate. And overlapping cues are off the wall.

I think Jaws 3 is fine, I just think re-sequencing it and separating cues that are mixed together would be a lot better. Shark Attacks Skiers is one of them, theres a few more. Plus there's that nice drum roll that covers the Silver Bullets leaping into the air. I think it would benefit from a redo but thats just me

3 hours ago, Andy said:

And if Jaws gets a re-release, will Jim Titus follow the Jurassic Park novel aesthetic?  I can't remember who did these customs, but they're terrific.

image.jpeg

51704777337_577cddbe34_h.jpg

MY GOD I LOVE THESE

3 hours ago, Andy said:

And if Jaws gets a re-release, will Jim Titus follow the Jurassic Park novel aesthetic?  I can't remember who did these customs, but they're terrific.

51704777337_577cddbe34_h.jpg

I do like these very much especially 1. However the artist should have used the J2 art from the album with the sailboat and the shark underwater. The composer credit over the art doesn't really look good and I've never been a fan of the shark design from that poster (OCD trigger).

3 hours ago, Andy said:

And if Jaws gets a re-release, will Jim Titus follow the Jurassic Park novel aesthetic?

He won't because Intrada uses Kay Marshall for every release.

20 minutes ago, May the Force be with You said:

Jim Titus would indeed do a terrific job

image.png

image.png

Reminds me of this fake alternate ending to Jaws 2 someone made years ago

6 hours ago, JTWfan77 said:

I do like these very much especially 1. However the artist should have used the J2 art from the album with the sailboat and the shark underwater. The composer credit over the art doesn't really look good and I've never been a fan of the shark design from that poster (OCD trigger).

Except that the water-skier was the paperback novel cover.  But yes, the sailboat cover is best for the square CD art.

Interestingly, the paperback had two variants.

Screen Shot 2022-07-26 at 6.38.08 PM.jpg

Not the original art, but do you remember when they did a dark version of the Jaws poster for the 30th anniversary DVD? I just found a dark version of Jaws 2 on a “Hong Kong version”. Never seen that one before.

F4DD4697-F0D2-4C33-98DF-6C6029C78DA3.jpeg

C677F9AB-8B93-420F-AE74-E4F4FAE663F5.jpeg

• 7 months later...

BUMP

are they ever gonna release that edited down version of this score?

Memorial Day is in almost 2 months.  Which means summer.  Which means Jaws.

WHY DID I MISS OUT ON THIS?!

Any updates???

29 minutes ago, crumbs said:

Wait two years and they can release a 50th Anniversary edition ;)

I also find it very likely, that they will reissue this on the anniversary. Not earlier.

Like they did with A.I., E.T. and CE3K.

I'd be curious to hear what Mike could achieve with those elements with an extra decade of restoration experience under his belt.

And who knows... better elements always show up. Maybe Universal found the missing multi-track masters and that's why Intrada paused their planned re-release (with most of the bonus tracks removed).

Or, gasp, maybe the post-Fabelmans Williams changed his tune on including the source music he asked to be removed from the previous edition.

I'm not sure if anyone else wants it, but I'd like that mis-take of Man Against Beast that is heard in every version of the film from 2000 on.

He's talking about damage on the first gen element of the film take of "Man Against Beast" that they didn't know how to fix in 2000, so sounds bad in the remixed audio made for the film itself.  For the 2000 Decca CD, they used a different take that isn't the film take, because of this damage.

For the 2015 Intrada edition, Mike was able to fix the damage with technology, so now we have the right film take with no issues in the main program.

The bonus track version is, I believe, a previously unheard take that was never used in (any version of) the film

Here's some more info:

https://www.jwfan.com/?p=8269

• 8 months later...

So I’m a bit confused: I don’t have this album, but from reading this thread, I was under the impression that it was all sold out and that a shorter program was issued without the extras… In fact, I could have sworn I saw that shorter version listed on Intrada’s site not long ago. But maybe I’m misremembering.

In any event, from what I can see now on their site, that shorter version is nowhere to be found, and the full 2-CD set with extras is listed there as simply being “temporarily out of stock,” and waiting to be re-pressed? Is it back/should I be able to purchase the full version directly from them at some point?

https://store.intrada.com/s.nl/it.A/id.9909/.f