JAWS - 2015 Intrada 2CD Release (Complete film tracks & original LP re-recording)

Jay

Sadly I don't have Jaws on vinyl to check whether the recording has a long reverb or not. I do have Jaws 2 but that vinyl doesn't need checking because there's nothing fishy about the CD.

Hehehe I get it. Clever Alex. Very clever.

I hate OST albums. They're jumbled, tracks spliced together from multiple cues and they skip and move everywhere. Not like here. Here everything is complete and chronological.

MIDI is what gives a composer his power. It's an energy field created by all living synths. It surrounds the rough cut and penetrates it. It binds the scoring process together.

EDIT: In other words, it is basically a synth demo of a cue that composer presents to a director before scoring. (In case your questions was a serious one)

Karol

• 2 weeks later...

I listened to this while I was scraping and caulking our bathroom over the weekend and it's like I'd never heard the score before. Amazing music.  Such a marked improvement on a score that previously I would have told you, "It's not my favorite and I'm happy with the Decca."

Yea, its really great.  Especially the shark music, all the low register stuff, comes alive like never before!

It does. I'm very happy we got this new release.

And I can't believe I'd never heard the original album before. There's some great exclusive stuff on there as well. Lovely to have both in one set!

• 2 weeks later...
3 hours ago, Bryant Burnette said:

Great music; mediocre liner notes.

Intrada usually goes for rather skimpy liner notes for those interested in possible track-by-track analysis etc.

I don't need it to be a track-by-track analysis, but I do expect SOME analysis of the music.  What's there is mediocre.  Disappointing, considering the lovely presentation of the music itself.

I too was a bit confused by the Jaws booklet.  This is one of the most important film scores of all time, and one of the biggest titles Intrada has ever released.  They have a great section of the notes where Mike talks about restoring the masterpiece, which was awesome and interesting.  But the part before that?  It just talks about the film itself for the most part, and a little about the basics of the score with a couple stories.  A huge momentous release like this deserved another 8-12 pages with more discussion of the nitty gritty of the score.  A list and description of all the themes with examples, track by track breakdown, description of how each alternate is different from the film version, etc.  Its a big missed opportunity imho.

Of course, every single other aspect of the release is completely perfect and amazing!

1 hour ago, Stefancos said:

Jaws has excellent liner notes with Mike Matessino detailing the process he used to restore this score.

More interesting then yet another track-by-track analysis.

I would have loved to read more on the score and less on the film. I do like Matessino's tech talk but Scott Bettencourt's essay focuses a bit too heavily on the film itself with a quick glance at the score as if it were an obvious thing that needed no deeper examination.

The book satisfied my needs.  I prefer reading about the score's and film's history, any notes about technical feats in restoring the music, and then letting a score speak for itself.

Settle down Groucho Stefan!

I prefer musical analysis, you prefer reading how music is mixed. You win this time! But you haven't seen the last of me!

14 minutes ago, Stefancos said:

Once again you assume too much!

Not when Jaws is concerned!

8 hours ago, crocodile said:

And what's the verdict?

Karol

Major eh. I am content with the original score. It thrills me much more. This is nice to have. I will put it away. I won't even bother to put it on the I-pod.

Techical perhaps but in 1975 I bought the album. I've listened to it thousands upon thousands of time. It is perfection. I'm not OCD enough to need every last note or alternate versions. It's very nice to have as I've said.. But when it comes down to it I will listen to the first Jaws release (original or not). I appreciate the work put into this but I trust John Williams decision to re-record.

Yes I don't think the score would have ever been a best-seller or grammy-winner if they hadn't done a new recording for the commercial album!

• 6 months later...

Summer listening for the ultimate summer score.... I have a question regarding the Marching Band Cues:

Do these appear anywhere in the film? And was the actual marching band music for the school parade scene recorded by Williams? Wondering why the film version didn't make the cut.