JAWS - 2015 Intrada 2CD Release (Complete film tracks & original LP re-recording)

Jay

I can tell there was indeed SO MUCH base. One of my low end players which barely yielded sub woofer type LFE was suddenly booming with normal bass when I played the Decca cd. :D

The Decca sounds as if a kid just discovered the graphic equalizer and played hell with the sliders. The old MCA released in 1992 also sounds suspiciously like unnecessary reverb was added (though i never listened to the LP). While the recording probably never was the best and in no way is reference material in any of the old releases, this new mix really brings out new instrumental clarity and a more spacious stereo field.

Lack of interrest and the fact that they are usually limited editions.

But when the original album is included too, it's hard to resist.

He was busy cataloging old Johny Williams LP's?

Actually that's the 2015 releases that keep me busy right now!

Wiki disco and website updated!

Lots of "film versions" by the looks of this tracklist. Looks like there still might be music missing. Why didn't they include the film version of Father and Son for instance?

I don't understand what you're saying here.... the set is 100% complete. There isn't a note of music in the film that isn't on the set.

Well, if you don't count some source music. Like with A.I.

Karol

Perhaps I am in a minority here but I won't be lamenting the missing source music from Jaws, Jaws 2 or A.I. when I have the complete scores to revel in.

I am amazed he allowed them to release The Stonecutter from Family Plot on the Varese disc.

Why?

Well it is almost 2 weeks since my order of Jaws 2 and there is still no shipping notice from Intrada. Did they run out of copies or are they swamped by all the orders flooding in?

And with the current poor state of Finnish postal service it might take a few weeks before Jaws or the sequel reach me.

Could be the first expanded set I will buy!

You've never bought an expanded soundtrack? Superman? Hook? A.I.? The Target-edition of AOTC that has the bonus track tacked onto the end?

Star Wars and Superman yes, I should have specified "limited Editions" Expanded Sets made by those specialized labels like Intrada or FSM. Those which can't be bought on Amazon by example.

Whats your beef against limited editions?

Few month ago, I decided myself to bought 3-4 CD from Intrada or FSM, I don't recall... and 3 out of the 4 CD I wanted where already sold out. I bought CD by waves, rarely one by one when they comes out. So "Limited Editions" are a problem for me.

Does that prevent me from listening to these releases?

The honest answer is NO.

I usually pay for all the music I listen, when it's possible. But sometimes, it's not possible. That's life!

No, the original soundtrack...

There's an alternate version on Intrada's tracklist, but no sample available.

EDIT: so, I listened to Intrada's sample again and the 2000 Decca release, and they are different. :mellow: Damn you, Bouzereau! Fooled me for 15 years!

I was listening to "Man Against Beast" sample from Intrada... is it me, or Decca used an alternate take on the 2000 release?

Decca and 2000 film mix partially used the different take,apparently. Intrada uses the actual original film version as heard in the original 1975 mono mix.

Karol

I haven't heard the mono mix in a long time... but still didn't realize the 2000 remix used different takes

I was also listening to the CD2 samples (1975 OST), and "Chrissie's Death" is the same version from the previous standard releases, still making the quadraphonic release unique, as pointed by Stefan here: http://www.jwfan.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=24116#entry977916

I'm very interested, but there have been a lot of big soundtrack purchases lately (BTTF2, BTTF3, Jaws 2) and the possibility of more to come with LLL's Black Friday. And we're only a few months out from babby. Might have to make this one an item for my family Xmas list instead of snatching it up.

Could be the first expanded set I will buy!

You've never bought an expanded soundtrack? Superman? Hook? A.I.? The Target-edition of AOTC that has the bonus track tacked onto the end?

Star Wars and Superman yes, I should have specified "limited Editions" Expanded Sets made by those specialized labels like Intrada or FSM. Those which can't be bought on Amazon by example.

Intrada sells on Amazon. FSM on SAE.

The story of how Mike Matessino figured out how to properly take the 3-track elements (which btw were freshly transferred to digital for this release; They didn't use the 2000 digital transfer) and convert them to stereo is my favorite!

That answers my question from the other topic... thanks, Jay! :)

The old MCA released in 1992 also sounds suspiciously like unnecessary reverb was added (though i never listened to the LP). While the recording probably never was the best and in no way is reference material in any of the old releases, this new mix really brings out new instrumental clarity and a more spacious stereo field.

Are you talking about OST rerecording? The CD does sound reverb-ish. Are you saying that the new MCA original OST sounds drier? I'm asking because I can't listen to the clips.