Williams To Conduct At "Tanglewood On Parade" and "John Williams' Film Night" in August 2016

Will

:up:

Besides its July 10 concert with Seth MacFarlane, the Boston Pops Orchestra also performs this summer in Tanglewood on Parade along with the BSO, TMCO, and conductors Stéphane Denève, Giancarlo Guerrero, and John Williams (8/2); in John Williams' Film Night (8/13), and playing John Williams' epic score in "Raiders of the Lost Ark" with Orchestra with Keith Lockhart conducting (8/26).

https://www.bso.org/Performance/Detail/77824

***We regret there can be no ticket refunds or exchanges, even in the event of inclement weather. All programs and artists are subject to change. ***

Make sure at least your hotel bookings are refundable/allow cancellation on short notice, as some of you have learned from last year.

***We regret there can be no ticket refunds or exchanges, even in the event of inclement weather. All programs and artists are subject to change. ***

They probably said that because they know Williams will most likely end up not conducting.

I don't want to be over optimistic, but could that mean he's going to be at Symphony Hall in May? One can only hope to hear the premiere of TFA concert arrangements live. After last year though if he's announced I'm driving. Not booking flights only to cancel them.

They probably said that because they know Williams will most likely end up not conducting.

They include that disclaimer in every single event. And have been doing it for as long as I can remember.

I loved the lineup of conductors for Tanglewood on Parade. I love both Deneve and Guerrero, great conductors both of them.

They include that disclaimer in every single event. And have been doing it for as long as I can remember.

I loved the lineup of conductors for Tanglewood on Parade. I love both Deneve and Guerrero, great conductors both of them.

Right. Anything can happen between now and then.

:( It's not in the concert program, that can only be bad news! :(:(:(:(:(

Maybe they want the score to be recorded before they include in the program?

No program has been announced for Tanglewood's Film Night. The BFG will be released in July so it's likely that Williams will conduct its main theme at that concert.

And I have no doubt the Boston May concerts (which will be announced in a few weeks) will include music from The Force Awakens.

I don't want to be over optimistic, but could that mean he's going to be at Symphony Hall in May? One can only hope to hear the premiere of TFA concert arrangements live. After last year though if he's announced I'm driving. Not booking flights only to cancel them.

He is still confirmed for Philly in May. My guess is he will perform TFA music at that concert, though obviously scheduling order to determine the "premiere."

He is still confirmed for Philly in May. My guess is he will perform TFA music at that concert, though obviously scheduling order to determine the "premiere."

Tough call for him for sure. I think he may saved playing TFA stuff for Boston though. I guess we'll see. Philly will be a great concert for sure. Great orchestra.

For those of us in another part of the world, the Sydney Symphony Orchestra is also doing a live-to-screen performance of Raiders in late July 2016...

http://www.sydneysymphony.com/production-pages/2016/concert-season/raiders-of-the-lost-ark.aspx

• 5 weeks later...

https://www.bso.org/Performance/Detail/77823

Righty-o, this event fits in very nicely with the date of our Wedding Anniversary and is the ideal excuse to visit Boston (and surprise my wife!). We've had a rough few years here in Christchurch following the devastating earthquakes of 2011 and I'd like to get this planned right. We both need a break.

So... firstly, how likely is this event to sell out to non-Tanglewood members? Will I even be in with a chance of getting tickets? 

15 hours ago, kiwipeter said:

how likely is this event to sell out to non-Tanglewood members? Will I even be in with a chance of getting tickets? 

I don't think Tanglewood concerts sell out.  They can fit A LOT of people there!

4 hours ago, Ricard said:

Last year's concerts were announced on December 17, and tickets went on sale March 23.

But there was an unusual delay concerning the information provided by the BSO.

I guess there's still hope. 

• 2 weeks later...

There's actually a suite available for orchestra, or will be very soon. 

http://www.sheetmusicplus.com/title/star-wars-the-force-awakens-suite-for-orchestra-sheet-music/20175789

I would be very surprised if he didn't play most of it in Boston. 

• 2 weeks later...

I decided to follow up my email to the BSO with a question about the John Williams' concerts. He is the reply:

"The Film Night concerts with John Williams are scheduled for May 12th and May 13th."

These are Thursday and Friday. No Saturday concert.

28 minutes ago, dfenton85 said:

I decided to follow up my email to the BSO with a question about the John Williams' concerts. He is the reply:

"The Film Night concerts with John Williams are scheduled for May 12th and May 13th."

These are Thursday and Friday. No Saturday concert.

This is horrible news. The only Thursday and Friday I have gigs in May. I guess the radio broadcast will have to do. 

image.png

Okay, I live in MA so it'd be downright stupid for me not to go to at least one Williams performance this year.

I've never looked into it before, so I have a couple questions. I know he's doing Film Night at Tanglewood in August, but it sounds like from here that he'll be doing other conducting this year in Boston? Do we know yet where/when? And how much do tickets normally cost?

2 hours ago, DominicCobb said:

Okay, I live in MA so it'd be downright stupid for me not to go to at least one Williams performance this year.

I've never looked into it before, so I have a couple questions. I know he's doing Film Night at Tanglewood in August, but it sounds like from here that he'll be doing other conducting this year in Boston? Do we know yet where/when? And how much do tickets normally cost?

Read 3 posts before your post.

3 hours ago, Jay said:

Read 3 posts before your post.

I see, I guess I was just a little confused because I thought the Film Night concert was in August but I guess there will be two additional Film Night concerts in May in Boston (as opposed to the August one which will be in Tanglewood)? When should we expect the May tickets to go on sale? Are the May and August concerts essentially the same thing besides the venue? And which would be the better venue, Tanglewood or Boston?

Sorry to be such a noob, but I definitely want to make it a point to go to one of these concerts and I like to make informed purchases and I know this is the best place to get the info I'm looking for.

5 hours ago, DominicCobb said:

I see, I guess I was just a little confused because I thought the Film Night concert was in August but I guess there will be two additional Film Night concerts in May in Boston (as opposed to the August one which will be in Tanglewood)? When should we expect the May tickets to go on sale? Are the May and August concerts essentially the same thing besides the venue? And which would be the better venue, Tanglewood or Boston?

Sorry to be such a noob, but I definitely want to make it a point to go to one of these concerts and I like to make informed purchases and I know this is the best place to get the info I'm looking for.

The May tickets go on sale February 22nd at 10am (as per my earlier post)

My ticket for the 2014 concert in the "Orchestra Price 1" section was $100. But this is the higher end of the prices. Ticket prices are based on the seat location.