Williams To Conduct At "Tanglewood On Parade" and "John Williams' Film Night" in August 2016

Will

Tanglewood and Symphony Hall are very different venues and both are certainly worth visiting in my opinion (whether to see Williams or other music).

I have no idea what your age or financial status is, but if you can afford both, absolutely try to go to both; You never knew when Williams will retire from touring, at this point I consider every year a blessing that he's still doing it.

Tanglewood is a huge outside venue; You can buy cheap tickets and bring a picnic blanket and chairs and enjoy the concert from a large lawn area (there are big-screen displays that will show you close-ups of the on-stage action).  Symphony Hall is a more intimate indoor venue that is unlike a lot of concert halls (its boxy instead of round).

We know the Tanglewood dates but the Symphony Hall dates are just a rumor until officially confirmed.

I'm not exactly made of money, but, now that I think about it, I don't see why I can't go to both if I get get tickets for reasonable enough prices (should I assume BSO tickets are more expensive than Tanglewood ones?). John Williams is worth it.

Thanks for all the info guys. I'll definitely go to the one in August and try for one in May if I can. 

Wow, the BSO site was going extremely slow today. It took over half an hour, but I finally got tickets! I get the feeling buying tickets over the phone would have been easier. I don't remember having this much trouble buying tickets for Boston the last couple years.

Anyway, WOOOHOOOO, can't wait for Film Night!!!!  :woop:  Who else is going?

I dunno if we're going to do Tanglewood this year or not.  We have so much travel throughout the whole year.  Might decide when it gets closer to August.

Well it turns out we cannot attend the Film Night at Tanglewood on August 13th.  We have a wedding that day.  I hope everyone here that does go enjoys it, and that Williams doesn't cancel!

• 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...

Does anyone here know whether it's possible to attend a daytime rehearsal at Tanglewood? Specifically the Tanglewood on Parade rehearsal? 

Well evidently this person was able to attend a rehearsal (Film Night 2008, Williams conducting)

6 hours ago, Jay said:

I think @Stefancos did a few years back?

That wasnt a rehearsal with the full orchestra though. I was just taking a stroll, would up at the barn and a handful of musicians where there rehearsing to the video of Jaws.

12 hours ago, Tom said:

you can generally attend rehearsal, but they will charge you admission, even if you have a ticket for the real show. 

Do you know how much they charge, and whether it's required to have a ticket for the real show? 

Maybe I should just contact the BSO directly.

10 hours ago, Stefancos said:

That wasnt a rehearsal with the full orchestra though. I was just taking a stroll, would up at the barn and a handful of musicians where there rehearsing to the video of Jaws.

Were they controlling access to the grounds? If so, did you circumvent those restrictions or did you ask someone if you could go in and they said yes? 

OK, I just emailed the BSO customer service. They may well have no idea but it's worth a try.

14 hours ago, Will said:

Do you know how much they charge, and whether it's required to have a ticket for the real show? 

Maybe I should just contact the BSO directly.

Were they controlling access to the grounds? If so, did you circumvent those restrictions or did you ask someone if you could go in and they said yes? 

No, the gate was open and it was ok to go in. There weren't a lot of people there at the time. Kind of like taking a morning walk in the local park.

The BSO has replied: 

For August 2nd, the grounds will not be open until 2pm that day. So any rehearsals taking place for the evening Tanglewood on Parade performance will be closed to the public.

:(

Of course, it sounds from what Stefan said the grounds may well be "unofficially" open before 2 pm, but given the uncertainty I think I'll have to skip this one. 

12 minutes ago, Stefancos said:

I think I was there around 11 AM last year. It certainly wasnt closed for the public.

Of course that was Film Night so maybe the schedule is different for Parade? 

• 2 weeks later...

They've announced what will be played at Film Night. 

A beloved summer tradition continues on Saturday, August 13, at 8 p.m., with John Williams' Film Night, featuring conductors John Williams and Richard Kaufman with the Boston Pops. John Williams' Film Night has long been established as one of the Tanglewood calendar's most consistently appreciated evenings. The second half of the concert will feature John Williams leading the Boston Pops in the unforgettable themes he composed for Star Wars, The Empire Strikes Back,and Return of the Jedi, as well as Rey's Theme and The Jedi Steps & Finale from the franchise's latest film, Star Wars: The Force Awakens. For the first half of the program, Richard Kaufman leads music from iconic cinematic flight sequences-with music from movies including HookOut of AfricaE.T. The Extra-Terrestrial, and Superman.

23 minutes ago, alextrombone94 said:

So jealous of anyone going to this. 

Me too. Especially frustrating is the fact that I've been in the Tanglewood area for a month but will be leaving just a few days before Film Night. Hopefully next year's date is in July/early August rather than mid August but I'm not holding my breath.

According to http://www.wgbh.org/995/bso.cfm, Tanglewood on Parade will not be broadcast on radio but Film Night will be! 

On 7/30/2016 at 0:53 PM, Will said:

Me too. Especially frustrating is the fact that I've been in the Tanglewood area for a month but will be leaving just a few days before Film Night. Hopefully next year's date is in July/early August rather than mid August but I'm not holding my breath.

On 7/30/2016 at 1:03 PM, Jay said:

It's always around the same time.

I had a nightmare a few nights ago that the 2017 Parade and Film Night dates had been announced and they were both in October! (which of course is impossible since the season ends in September) That's an "only-a-JWFan" nightmare. :lol:

Anyway, Jay you're right that the Film Night dates have usually been in mid to late August in the last few years, but 2014 was an exception (August 2), so you never know. Crossing my fingers.

4 hours ago, Will said:

I had a nightmare a few nights ago that the 2017 Parade and Film Night dates had been announced and they were both in October! (which of course is impossible since the season ends in September) That's an "only-a-JWFan" nightmare. :lol:

I had a nightmare i was being chased by someone or something, but my legs were to weak to carry me so i could barely walk, let alone run.

Johnny looks really energetic and in good spirits in those pictures and he has a classy getup too. Looking fine Angelbaby! :)

RICHARD KAUFMAN and JOHN WILLIAMS conducting JOHN WILLIAMS’ FILM NIGHT

RICHARD KAUFMAN conducting

UP, UP, AND AWAY: THE MOVIES TAKE FLIGHT

arr. WILLIAMS Hooray for Hollywood

WILLIAMS Flight to Neverland from “Hook”

WAXMAN Ireland from “The Spirit of St. Louis”

BARRY Flying Over Africa from “Out of Africa”

MANCINI March from “The Great Waldo Pepper”

WILLIAMS Flying Theme from “E.T. The Extra-Terrestrial”

WILLIAMS Love Theme from “Superman”

WILLIAMS Superman March

WILLIAMS Flight and Technology from “American Journey”

{Intermission}

JOHN WILLIAMS conducting

WILLIAMS Olympic Fanfare and Theme

WILLIAMS Song for World Peace

MAY THE FORCE BE WITH YOU: THE MUSIC OF “STAR WARS”

WILLIAMS The Jedi Steps & Finale

The Asteroid Field

Princess Leia’s Theme

The Imperial March

Rey’s Theme

Throne Room & Finale

Very excited by this line-up - Jedi Steps and Throne Room! - although I'm hoping for Harry's Wondrous World and/or the Raider's March as encores.

How ODD to performed both Jedi Steps & Finale AND Throne Room and Finale.

I liked the Boston Star Wars suite better, as it included all of the above, minus Throne Room, plus March of the Resistance and Scherzo for X-Wings

Hey there everyone. I'm flying in from the uk for this one on Saturday and have a few questions! 

1) what's the route like i90 from Boston international? Any parts to watch out for? The roads at Boston logan look a little complex :P where do you pay the i90 toll and is that cash only or? 

2) what time can you go on site before the concert at tanglewood normally?

3) how hot are they on the not taking photos thing?  I just wanted a couple of snaps maybe during his bow...

4) any chance of his autograph. I know this is a long shot :P

Anything else you can advise please let me know. So excited. 

1) I got in last night and had to pay a few tolls, the total was probably $10 or less. They were cash only, although when you rent a car you may have the option to get E-Z pass so you don't have to stop and pay cash when going through a toll.

2) Not sure

3) I like to wait until the end, usually during the encore, just in case!

4) A very long shot indeed, since Williams seems to be able to leave the venue directly without passing near any waiting fans. You would probably have to luck out and try for an autograph some other way to have any chance, but even then there's no clear path to success. I always try not to place too much importance on this, or you may be disappointed and it can lessen your enjoyment of the music, the concert, and the excitement of seeing JW conduct.

1 i90 is a breeze unless there's an accident.  The toll booths are clearly marked which lanes are for EZPass and which are cash.  IIRC they don't take credit cards, so bring US currency!

2 Pretty early.  You can go there in the afternoon and watch rehearsals if you like.  Regularly admittance begins hours before the show starts

3 You'll be fine, take all the photos you want

4 Absolutely zero chance

Thanks everyone! Well that was surprisingly easy. Used the EZ pass and there was a bit of a slowdown on the i90 but not too bad.

Ah the autograph thing was more tongue in cheek anyway, I've already seen Zimmer and Ennio Morricone performing with orchestra in London and Clint Mansell....but Williams will just add the cherry on the cake as he is (in my opinion) leaps and bounds ahead of Zimmer....Morricone is perhaps closer to the genius of Williams the maestro ;)

Some storm this afternoon here though, glad we are in the shed :D