Williams To Conduct At "Tanglewood On Parade" and "John Williams' Film Night" in August 2016

Will

Hi everyone! Im also from the UK but Im travelling up from New Jersey for this one. About what time does the concert end? Wondering if we can just drive straight back afterwards. 

2 hours ago, EdderzD said:

Hi everyone! Im also from the UK but Im travelling up from New Jersey for this one. About what time does the concert end? Wondering if we can just drive straight back afterwards. 

the concert will be done around 10:30, but you will likely be in the parking area for another hour or two. 

It's intermission now. It's been a great concert so far. If you're not listening now a replay should be available online at some point after the conclusion.

It's so great how in these live performances the winds and certain other orchestrational details, so often buried in the soundtrack mix, get to really shine. 

Usually, this concerts recorded by WCRB are on-demand a few days after the broadcast, at a lower bitrate.

On some occasions, just part of the concert is made available on-demand, due to guest artists presence or additional video projection with film audio, but I don't believe will be the case with this one.

@Miguel Andrade It was just confirmed on air that an on demand version would be available on the WCRB site.

Apparently they're in a weather delay right now, which is preventing the start of the 2nd half. I so hope the storm passes through quickly as I know some went to great lengths to make it there and Williams himself has yet to conduct even one piece.

In any case, I'm going to pause listening for now and listen to the rest some other time.

Well that evening had it all! Still buzzing. We managed to get out and back to the hotel in 15 minutes. Parked near the road.

The programme actually changed in the end from the previous info.

The two encores were great too, Luke and Leias theme and Harry Potter. I was near the front behind the celeste......perfect for Potter!

Fun tropical storm at half time too lol

edited_1471146815006.jpg

20160813_215346.jpg

IMG_20160813_185841.jpg

Its a sort of synth with sampled celeste mixture on the Potter soundtrack. Randy Kerber played it.

In fact you can buy the VST from Cinesamples; its called Randy's Celeste.

I wonder if Williams' constant inclusion of the "Song for World Peace" in his concert repertoire is his way of saying something political in these dark times of ours?

I think it was the third revision of "Song for World Peace". It sounded different from the revision we heard in 1995, perhaps a bit longer with more challenging parts for the soloists. We can all speculate about why he chose to include it, but as a musician Williams certainly understands that the arts depend on the patronage and donations of people from across the political landscape, it's always best to maintain an appearance of neutrality and just let the music speak for itself.

As for the concert it was amazing that Williams continued with the entire program and even added three encores. I was a bit worried that the musicians' strict rules would mean an early finish due to the hour-long delay, but they just kept going.

10 hours ago, Will said:

I checked and a replay is unfortunately still unavailable

7 hours ago, someonefun124 said:

Same here. Bummer.

Hey all,

Long time lurker, first post.  I think it takes them a few days to appear in the BSO archive.  

I recorded a stream of the broadcast.  I can upload it somewhere and share a link if that's okay with Jay.  I'm not sure of the ToS or if the WCBR broadcast is considered copyrighted material.

2 hours ago, Foxfan said:

I think it was the third revision of "Song for World Peace". It sounded different from the revision we heard in 1995, perhaps a bit longer with more challenging parts for the soloists. We can all speculate about why he chose to include it, but as a musician Williams certainly understands that the arts depend on the patronage and donations of people from across the political landscape, it's always best to maintain an appearance of neutrality and just let the music speak for itself.

As for the concert it was amazing that Williams continued with the entire program and even added three encores. I was a bit worried that the musicians' strict rules would mean an early finish due to the hour-long delay, but they just kept going.

Three encores? I left after "Luke and Leia" and "Harry's Wondrous World". There was another one? It looked like the orchestra was getting up after the latter.

On 14/08/2016 at 8:20 PM, tk421 said:

I recorded a stream of the broadcast.  I can upload it somewhere and share a link if that's okay with Jay.  I'm not sure of the ToS or if the WCBR broadcast is considered copyrighted material.

I really would like to hear that stream!

On 14/8/2016 at 9:20 PM, tk421 said:

Hey all,

Long time lurker, first post.  I think it takes them a few days to appear in the BSO archive.  

3 hours ago, sebacote said:

I really would like to hear that stream!

Long time lurker, first post. I add my wish to listen to this recording, it would be a real blast! The Boston Film Night back a few months was incredible too!

31 minutes ago, Qui-GON29 said:

Long time lurker, first post. I add my wish to listen to this recording, it would be a real blast! 

Regardless of whether @tk421 posts it, the recording should be up on the WGBH website within the next few days. 

7 minutes ago, Will said:

Regardless of whether @tk421 posts it, the recording should be up on the WGBH website within the next few days. 

Great news indeed! Is it downloadable? I cannot recall how I got a copy of the previous Film Night, but I do remember listening to the broadcast that time. 

44 minutes ago, Qui-GON29 said:

Great news indeed! Is it downloadable? I cannot recall how I got a copy of the previous Film Night, but I do remember listening to the broadcast that time. 

You should be able to download it. There may not be a download link but you should be able to right click and click save as, or something like that. 

41 minutes ago, crumbs said:

Concert podcast is up.

http://www.wgbh.org/programs/The-Boston-Symphony-Orchestra-in-Concert-1641#66045

Direct link:

http://streams.wgbh.org/online/clas/bso/bso160813.mp3

JW's Episode VIII comments are from 71:30 onwards.

Sweet! Thanks for letting us know!

Bah, the BFG debut was at the On Parade concert wasn't it. Darn. 

Thanks for the link!

Edit Add:

Ha! The audience starts applauding right as the delicate celeste quote of Luke's theme starts at the end of Jedi Steps and Finale, thinking the piece was over. Fools!

14 hours ago, Disco Stu said:

Ha! The audience starts applauding right as the delicate celeste quote of Luke's theme starts at the end of Jedi Steps and Finale, thinking the piece was over. Fools!

Indeed. What a travesty. I always get chills when those last notes are played in this piece. 

I understand Film Night is probably attended by a lot of people who don't see orchestral performances regularly, but I feel like even when I was young I instinctively knew to watch the conductor to know when a piece was really over.

On 8/17/2016 at 5:08 PM, crumbs said:

Concert podcast is up.

http://www.wgbh.org/programs/The-Boston-Symphony-Orchestra-in-Concert-1641#66045

Direct link:

http://streams.wgbh.org/online/clas/bso/bso160813.mp3

JW's Episode VIII comments are from 71:30 onwards.

Awesome, thanks for the links.

Listening to the concert, does anyone else think this version of the theme from Out of Africa sounds off somehow? Something about it doesn't sound right. Almost too low and slow or dark in character. 

Edit: Great performance of Hedwig's Theme though. A ton of energy. Good stuff.

Anyone else notice that drastic accelerando near the start of Olympic Spirit - horns were dragging and then a sudden huge tempo increase. Odd for him to conduct it that way!

Rest of it is excellent though, particularly Harry Potter as mentioned above.

2 hours ago, Bespin said:

Broadcast from Tanglewood on Parade (8.2.2016) is also available on https://www.bso.org/mediacenter

Chose BROADCAST.

Will update the "concert" section of my webiste this week-end.

I was about to post the news in regard to that on-demand file.

Should be noted that this recordings remain on-line for about a year.

6 hours ago, Bespin said:

Broadcast from Tanglewood on Parade (8.2.2016) is also available on https://www.bso.org/mediacenter

Chose BROADCAST.

Will update the "concert" section of my website this week-end.

Woah!

Now I rush to listen to the BFG suite and see if it's the same as the album end credits... 

Anyone else notice that drastic accelerando near the start of Olympic Spirit - horns were dragging and then a sudden huge tempo increase. Odd for him to conduct it that way!

I noticed it as well. I think John Williams was trying to get in sync with the film clip. 

I am also very impressed by the recording quality at Tanlgewood. It sounds better to me than recordings at Symphony Hall.

The BFG suite is basically the end credits with some material cut out (interestingly, the warm melody I call the BFG's theme -- the one heard in the middle or so of the credits -- was entirely absent from the suite). There are however a few differences that people familiar with the end credits cue will notice.