First clip from The Force Awakens, containing Williams score premieres during American Music Awards

Not Mr. Big

High quality:

Admin note: The film clip begins at 0:18

Great scene (the film clip, not the Pentatonix performance). Williams' music is nothing spectacular (probably because this particular bit is devoid of noticeable thematic material), but he clearly hasn't lost his touch. I can't wait to hear the full score.

Sounds great! And it's 99.9% Williams to my ears. Reminds me of a similar rhythm he did in the Temple of Doom track "Saving Willie" (start at 1:05):

I agree. When I first heard this TFA music, I thought it sounded very much like some of Williams' Temple of Doom work.

sounds like williams is on autopilot here, less star warsy too. Was hoping for a bit more oomph from the music in this scene. Here's hoping rest of the score is better

sounds like williams is on autopilot here, less star warsy too. Was hoping for a bit more oomph from the music in this scene. Here's hoping rest of the score is better

It does sound like that, but it's better than nothing and we're at least guaranteed some awesome moments among the autopilot filler music.

Sounds great! And it's 99.9% Williams to my ears. Reminds me of a similar rhythm he did in the Temple of Doom track "Saving Willie" (start at 1:05):

...and incidentally, it's performed by many of the same performers and the same scoring stage which I think is cool.

I am not even kidding, this sounds a bit Giacchinoish. It's that "bent" (that's what unexpected flats sound like to me I guess) sort of mode that he uses a lot, that's what people are saying sounds "Arabian." And it stays in place tonally for longer than you'd expect from modern Williams action music. Interesting.

I'm not sure why anybody is making judgements about the score from this 15-second clip. I was not particularly impressed by the music in the clip, but I'm still extremely excited for the score and I'm confident Williams will deliver. For me, themes are really the basis of a score, and this clip does not seem to contain any. I'll wait to pass judgement on TFA's score until I hear all the new themes Williams has composed.

Well, this is the second instance where we've allegedly heard music from John Williams' score for The Force Awakens, and both times, people have compared it to Michael Giacchino.

:jerry:

Why do people always associate Williams' modern action style with auto-pilot?

Because they're the same type of people who say Williams' modern action music is chaotic and unstructured, essentially blaming him with their unfortunate lack of ability in keeping up.

Here you'll typically find -

Auto-pilot = music someone doesn't like

Inspired = music someone likes

Well let's not get too excited here and start making audacious comparisons. It's a typical Williams action rhythm he's employed in a good couple of other scores. Nothing especially Goldsmithian or Arabic about this really, and hardly a reflection of the whole score (for those crying "AUTOPILOT!" already).

I do like the mix though!

Well let's not get too excited here and start making audacious comparisons here. It's a typical Williams action rhythm he's employed in a good couple of other scores. Nothing especially Goldsmithian or Arabic about this really, and hardly a reflection of the whole score (for those crying "AUTOPILOT!" already).

The snippet (or at least the beginning of it) is written in what sounds to me like the fairly Goldsmithian compound meter of 3/4 - 5/8 - the repetitiveness and the more focused tonality (as Grey mentioned) also sort of gave it that vibe for me.

I'm not hearing any autopilotry, by the way. What I'm hearing is some very exciting stuff!

What's so great about Jupiter Ascending? I only remember the last bit of Commitment.

Not much. There's some interesting colours, I guess. But still plenty of melodic and harmonic daftness.

It won't take much at all for Williams to beat that score to a pulp.

What's so great about Jupiter Ascending? I only remember the last bit of Commitment.

Not much. There's some interesting colours, I guess. But still plenty of melodic and harmonic daftness.

I remember being very entertained by the score for John Carter (maybe not the whole thing, but several parts of it), and I was surprised of how much I didn't really care for this apparently similar assignment.

Well let's not get too excited here and start making audacious comparisons here. It's a typical Williams action rhythm he's employed in a good couple of other scores. Nothing especially Goldsmithian or Arabic about this really, and hardly a reflection of the whole score (for those crying "AUTOPILOT!" already).

The snippet (or at least the beginning of it) is written in what sounds to me like the fairly Goldsmithian compound meter of 3/4 - 5/8 - the repetitiveness and the more focused tonality (as Grey mentioned) also sort of gave it that vibe for me.

I'm not hearing any autopilotry, by the way. What I'm hearing is some very exciting stuff!

I don't disagree. It is a classic Goldsmith meter, but it's hardly unique to this instance for Williams. He's used similar meters in other scores.

The focused tonality, as you call it, does make this example more appealing though. A combination of that and a good mix does it make sound somewhat refreshing.

And the autopilot comment wasn't geared towards you ;)

I remember being very entertained by the score for John Carter (maybe not the whole thing, but several parts of it), and I was surprised of how much I didn't really care for this apparently similar assignment.

It works on the surface level for the first few times, and then it offers little reason to revisit it. Despite all the flash and bombast, it's a rather empty score in the end.

And as always, nice to have you back mate :)

I don't disagree. It is a classic Goldsmith meter, but it's hardly unique to this instance for Williams. He's used similar meters in other scores.

The focused tonality, as you call it, does this make this example more appealing though. A combination of that and a good mix does it make sound somewhat refreshing.

And the autopilot comment wasn't geared towards you ;)

I know - hence "by the way" ;).

And yes - an example that comes to mind is 4M4A Fighting With Grievous in ROTS. But still, more Goldsmithian than Williams to me, especially considering the former's frequent use of compound meter.

Oh, and how could I forget that awesome WOTW cue - The Attack on the Car!

Yeah. John Carter is the better score.

Interesting! I like both scores though find I'm happy with John Carter if I listen to the first five tracks and then the End Credits cue. Jupiter Ascending seems to have more going for it? JC - for all its many strengths - reminds me of someone's review of Patrick Doyle's The Last Legion, that every cue sounds like the climactic cue to the final scene in the film.

Obviously a case of "your mileage may vary".