Opening Logo & Main Title Crawl music in The Force Awakens?

RomanticStrings

Has anyone discussed the fact that 20th Century Fox is not involved in this movie? Doesn't that mean there will be no Fanfare? Will it be Disney's castle and the Bad Robot? What music goes there? I hope Disney's castle gets Randy Newman's Toy Story opener! ;)

~Conor

Has anyone discussed the fact that 20th Century Fox is not involved in this movie? Doesn't that mean there will be no Fanfare? Will it be Disney's castle and the Bad Robot? What music goes there? I hope Disney's castle gets Randy Newman's Toy Story opener! ;)

~Conor

We've been told that it won't be the disney music. We speculated on here that Williams will compose or arrange something new.

And then amid the recording of TFA, the finale of the ESB end credits was clunkily edited to underscore the Lucasfilm logo on the digital releases of Star Wars. People are hopeful that Williams will either re-record this or do something else. I'm not so hopeful. I think TFA will open with this:

~Conor

We talked about that 3 years ago, yes!

Lol me too.

And then amid the recording of TFA, the finale of the ESB end credits was clunkily edited to underscore the Lucasfilm logo on the digital releases of Star Wars. People are hopeful that Williams will either re-record this or do something else. I'm not so hopeful. I think TFA will open with this:

I agree, I wouldn't be surprised at all if this is what they're going with.

~Conor

Is Bad Robot involved? I know Abrams is directing, but he's "for hire" on a franchise owned by Disney.

Yes, Bad Robot's credited on the poster so it's a partnership. I'm sure Disney could have produced Force Awakens entirely through Lucasfilm if they wanted, but since Abrams and Burk are jointly producing the film with Kennedy I assume it was necessary to hire them through BR.

But I'm not a business expert so I can only guess at what that process would be specifically, whether that's an easier way of doing it or more complicated or if it even makes a difference as opposed to doing it entirely in-house. Obviously it's a common thing, though, the Pirates movies were all co-productions between Disney and Bruckheimer Films for example. You hire people with their own companies and ways of working and you enter a collaboration.

I'm no expert either, but I guess as the film will be a blockbuster phenomenon, and if it's good and satisfactory, it can easily increase the value of Bad Robot as a company. A Star Wars movie in your curriculum must mean something, right?

I'm sure J.J. Abrams was interested in this and negotiated a partnership with Lucasfilm.

After Abrams attempted to (legally) hijack Trek from Paramount in a game of chicken, I'm a bit worried he got his way with this franchise instead. Hopefully Disney will keep their wits about them.

Apologies if it has been discussed before, but does anyone know whether we'll get the traditional synopsis crawl at the beginning? I have a bad feeling that they will want to do something different and edgy and not have the first thing we hear as Williams blasting the main theme over the logo.

I can't wait to hear the Ringwraiths theme though as Finn stands up to Ren.

I would be very, very surprised if they ditched the crawl opening for this film and the other two episode films. Now, the anthology films... who knows? They will probably do something different for the openings since their standalone films.

I would be very, very surprised if they ditched the crawl opening for this film and the other two episode films. Now, the anthology films... who knows? They will probably do something different for the openings since their standalone films.

Yeah I agree. Is it me or are disney not calling it Episode 7? I haven't seen that anywhere. Unless I'm blind. Why would they not call it ep7?

Apologies if it has been discussed before, but does anyone know whether we'll get the traditional synopsis crawl at the beginning? I have a bad feeling that they will want to do something different and edgy and not have the first thing we hear as Williams blasting the main theme over the logo.

I can't wait to hear the Ringwraiths theme though as Finn stands up to Ren.

Considering how traditional Abrams' film seems to be I doubt they'll forgo the classic opening crawl with the main theme. That would be a blow in the face of the fans who the director, producers and studio are so keenly trying to serve.

And naturally we all wait for the Revelation of the Ringwraiths for that scene. And Jakku Reborn for their eventual Platonic "just friends" hug.

If it was pretty much anybody directing other than Abrams, I'd be curious about the opening. This movie is undoubtedly going to open with the works and I'm sure Episode VII will be on the crawl too. I think the reason they're not including it on the posters and trailers is to distance it from the prequels and from the idea that it's just another sequel. Disney wants people looking at this as a reboot (or rather, rejuvenation...a fresh start). And they're pretty much succeeding on that level.

Also each trilogy has had its own marketing scheme. The OT emphasized the actual titles, showing they were new adventures:

star_wars_movie_posters.png

The prequels emphasized the episode numbers, showing they were going back to the beginning:

sw-posters.png

And now of course these are going with Star Wars itself as the main attraction:

5627c0d860f79.image.jpg?resize=300%2C445

There is no chance that the "episodes" are going to open up any differently than they have.

What I'm really interested in seeing is: how will the anthology films open up? The publishing arm of Lucasfilm has been pretty consistent with putting an opening crawl on everything (every comic issue, novel, etc). Will there be a crawl at the beginning of Rogue One, and will it have Williams' classic titles or something new from Desplat?

I'm curious about that too. I kind of hope it's something different, if only because to have one Star Wars movie after another with the crawl/fanfare every year would take away from the special-ness of the saga openings.

Agreed. If they are truly going to be putting out one new Star Wars movie every year for the forseeable future, it would be tedious if every single one opened up with a minute of text to read set to the exact same music. That is fine for the true episodes, of course.

I do they, episode of standalone, they should all open with "A Long Time Ago In A Galaxy Far, Far Away", though.

Yeah opening the stand alone films with Williams Main title and crawl would be a bad idea. I want a new Score from Desplat. No rehashing. I don't want him to use the main theme AT ALL. The only theme that can possibly return is the rebellion stuff. I want him to do a Harry Potter job, where he wrote all new stuff and of course didn't open the film with Williams main theme, Desplat wrote a new one 'Obliviate.'

It was rather amusing, reading his reasoning along the lines of 'It's Luke's Theme, it doesn't fit anymore' to which Lucas, the showman probably replied 'It's ok John...just play the damn tune'.

Yeah opening the stand alone films with Williams Main title and crawl would be a bad idea. I want a new Score from Desplat. No rehashing. I don't want him to use the main theme AT ALL. The only theme that can possibly return is the rebellion stuff. I want him to do a Harry Potter job, where he wrote all new stuff and of course didn't open the film with Williams main theme, Desplat wrote a new one 'Obliviate.'

The hard thing is the Potter openings were always way more fluid than Star Wars so it was easier to get away with. Even in the first three you had different prologues and Williams was already writing increasingly eerie arrangements of Hedwig's theme. 4 and 5 took out the B theme, 6 and 7 just had a quiet celesta statement of the first phrase at the start, and then by the last one you didn't hear the theme at all. There was an obvious progression, so the only thing fans really came to expect was the Warner Bros logo floating toward the screen. Even that only started with the second one.

Star Wars, they're locked in. I'd love them to start with "A long time ago in a galaxy far, far away" like Jay said, but I don't think they could even do that with the traditional blue lettering on a black screen, because at that point people are going to expect the rest to follow suit and anything else is bound to be disappointing. I agree that they'll have to cut off expectations at the pass somehow and right away show the audience that it's completely different. Like just start right in with an establishing shot and have "A long time ago etc" fade in as a lower third or something.

For the Anthology stories, I don't see a problem with opening it with "A long time ago in a galaxy far, far away" and the traditional opening fanfare.

All it would say at the beginning of the crawl is "ROGUE ONE" and that's it.

Yeah I agree. Is it me or are disney not calling it Episode 7? I haven't seen that anywhere. Unless I'm blind. Why would they not call it ep7?

From http://www.theforce.net/story/front/Star_Wars_Episode_VII_Will_Be_Called_The_Force_Awakens_160763.asp

Lucasfilm has confirmed to us that "Episode VII" will not be in the title, but it will be in the opening crawl. The movie is officially titled Star Wars: The Force Awakens.

I would enjoy the crawl with new WIlliams music. But sadly it won't happen.

He tried to do that for the prequels but Lucas demanded the same music as the OT.

That was actually just a rumor that surfaced in the months preceding the release of TPM (which no official source ever confirmed).

From http://www.theforce.net/story/front/Star_Wars_Episode_VII_Will_Be_Called_The_Force_Awakens_160763.asp

Lucasfilm has confirmed to us that "Episode VII" will not be in the title, but it will be in the opening crawl. The movie is officially titled Star Wars: The Force Awakens.

But Star Wars: The Force Awakens was confirmed as the official title over a year ago... It was Star Wars: Episode VII before that, but never Star Wars: Episode VII - The Force Awakens.

For the Anthology stories, I don't see a problem with opening it with "A long time ago in a galaxy far, far away" and the traditional opening fanfare.

All it would say at the beginning of the crawl is "ROGUE ONE" and that's it.

It would be the most obvious thing to do. The concern is that now with all these Star Wars movies planned in the near future, the fanfare and main title could simply become boring once we've had movie after movie opening with it every year. There's just something about the anticipation of waiting a few or several years for a new Star Wars movie and getting that payoff, it's an enjoyable part of the experience but I suppose we'd lose that thrill if we start getting these things every 6-12 months, or if they catch up to Marvel with 2 or 3 in a summer.