Home Alone - 25th Anniversary 2CD Edition by La-La Land Records (2015)

Jay

12294625_10153864672443755_2735675523848

Our BIG MAC ATTACK continues with our next release...

HOME ALONE 25TH ANIVERSARY: LIMITED EDITION (2-CD SET) LLLCD 1374

Music by John Williams

Limited Edition of 5000 Units

RETAIL PRICE: $24.98

La-La Land Records, 20th Century Fox, Fox Music and Sony Music present HOME ALONE 25th ANNIVERSARY: LIMITED EDITION, a very special restored, remastered and expanded 2-CD re-issue of renowned composer John Williams (JAWS, STAR WARS, EMPIRE OF THE SUN, A.I. ARTIFICIAL INTELLIGENCE) original motion picture score to the timeless 1990 holiday classic feature film HOME ALONE, starring Macaulay Culkin, Joe Pesci and Daniel Stern, and directed by Chris Columbus. For this deluxe release, produced by Mike Matessino and Nick Redman, and executive produced for Sony Music by Jeff James and Didier C. Deutsch, producer Matessino worked with newly discovered elements (2 scoring masters containing 3-track mixes), which he transferred, mixed and mastered at high resolution (96k/24bit). The result is a strikingly sonically improved presentation of the score above and beyond any other HOME ALONE soundtrack release. Disc One contains the film score, with additional music, and Disc Two presents the re-mastered original 1990 album presentation with bonus tracks, including the addition of two tracks recorded for the film by Southside Johnny Lyon and the songs Run Rudolph Run and Rockin Around the Christmas Tree. With revised in-depth liner notes by Matessino and joyous all-new art direction by Jim Titus, this is the definitive release of a holiday classic from one of filmdoms greatest and most beloved composers.

TRACK LISTING:

DISC 1 (Total Disc Time 79:17)

THE FILM SCORE (58:13)

1 Home Alone (Main Theme) 1:30

2 Go Pack Your Suitcase / Introducing Marley / In Good Hands 1:54

3 Banished To The Attic 1:09

4 We Slept In / Hard Count 1:21

5 Making The Plane :56

6 The Basement 2:14

7 Target Practice / Sledding On The Stairs 1:32

8 Lights On / Guess Whos Home / Paris Arrival 3:21

9 The Man Of The House / Police Check 1:25

10 The Bookshelf 1:10

11 Phone Machine / Drug Store / Escape Across The Ice 3:08

12 Follow That Kid! [Film Version] 2:15

13 Listening To Carson :42

14 Cleaning Clothes / Kitchen 1:39

15 Scammed By A Kindergartner [Film Version] 2:12

16 Somewhere In My Memory (Walking Home) [Film Version] 1:09

Lyrics by Leslie Bricusse (Chorus & Orchestra)

17 O Holy Night [Film Version] 2:51

Composer: Adolphe Adam;

Translation of Lyrics: John S. Dwight (Chorus)

18 Star Of Bethlehem [Film Version]* 3:03

19 Carol Of The Bells 1:28

Music & Lyrics by Peter Wilhousky (Chorus)

20 Setting The Trap 2:31

21 The Attack Begins 1:30

22 Marv Enters The Basement / A Hot Hand / Sore Head 2:52

23 Paint Cans 2:06

24 Clothesline Trapeze / Marley To The Rescue 4:15

25 Have Yourself A Merry Little Christmas [Film Version]* 1:05

26 The Next Morning / Mom Returns / Finale 4:35

27 We Wish You A Merry Christmas / End Title [Film Version] 4:19

ADDITIONAL MUSIC (21:01)

28 Star Of Bethlehem [Orchestral Version] 3:00

29 Somewhere In My Memory (Walking Home)[instrumental] 1:07

30 Jingle Bells 1:02

31 Christmas Carol Medley 7:45

32 Silent Night* 1:54 (Chorus)

33 God Rest You Merry, Gentlemen* 1:13 (Chorus)

34 O Holy Night (Alternate Finale) 1:35

35 Somewhere In My Memory 3:26

DISC 2 (Total Disc Time: 66:29)

THE 1990 SOUNDTRACK ALBUM (57:04)

1 Home Alone Main Title (Somewhere In My Memory) 4:56

2 Holiday Flight :59

3 The House 2:27

4 Star Of Bethlehem [Orchestral Version] 2:51

5 Man Of The House 4:33

6 White Christmas 2:39

Written by Irving Berlin

7 Scammed By A Kindergartner 3:55

8 Please Come Home For Christmas 2:41

Written by Charles Brown & Gene Redd

9 Follow That Kid! 2:02

10 Making The Plane :53

11 O Holy Night 2:48

Composer: Adolphe Adam;

Translation of Lyrics: John S. Dwight (Chorus)

12 Carol Of The Bells 1:25

Music & Lyrics by Peter Wilhousky (Chorus)

13 Star Of Bethlehem 2:59

Lyrics by Leslie Bricusse (Chorus)

14 Setting The Trap 2:16

15 Somewhere In My Memory (Walking Home) 1:04

16 The Attack On The House 6:53

17 Mom Returns And Finale 4:19

18 Have Yourself A Merry Little Christmas 3:05

Hugh Martin & Ralph Blane (Music & Lyrics)

19 We Wish You A Merry Christmas / End Title 4:19

Lyrics: Traditional / Leslie Bricusse (Chorus & Orchestra)

Total Soundtrack Album Time: 57:04

BONUS TRACKS (9:19)

20 Run, Rudolph, Run 2:51

Written by Johnny Marks and Marvin Brodie

21 Rock And Roll Riff 1:10

22 Have Yourself A Merry Little Christmas 3:12

Hugh Martin & Ralph Blane (Music & Lyrics)

23 Rockin Around The Christmas Tree 2:10

Written by Johnny Marks

Total Bonus Track Time: 9:19

Total Disc Time: 66:29

* Previously unreleased

https://www.facebook.com/lalalandrecords/photos/np.1448611350741012.502903435/10153864672443755/?type=3&theater

Well since it is the complete score released by LLL before and OST plus some pop songs put together, I'll pass.

Don't know if I've ever felt the need to hear this score complete, but the work LLL are doing with Williams' catalog cannot be understated. What a brilliant year it's been!

Verily I say! Verily yea!

Although I wish they would stop making even more definitive versions of their previously released definitive versions. I can't afford to buy the same score from them many times.

Is there anything on this release composed by Williams not released on previous editions......?

I'm trying to find out too.

I've got both the Ost and LLL first edition.

It seems the extra tracks are:

CD1 tracks 25, 32, 33

CD2 tracks 20-23?

Although I don't understand what's the difference between 18 and 22 in CD2.

Maybe one of them is without the vocals?

Also it's strange that this one is 5000 (which has a previous expanded release and I don't think many will get it for some extra songs) and not Braveheart!

Something else:

Why cd1 track 18 is previously unreleased?

It has the same duration as before.

I don't remember any film version.

Also, what happened to the Clothesline trapeze insert?

Is it in he track?

If it is shouldn't it be longer by 20 or so seconds?

Seems like the Clothesline Trapeze insert has disappeared yes. (And Lights On / Paris Arrival / Guess Who's Home is still in the order of the re-edited film.)

Seems like the Clothesline Trapeze insert has disappeared yes. (And Lights On / Paris Arrival / Guess Who's Home is still in the order of the re-edited film.)

As I mentioned at FSM, is the insert substituted material, maybe it's IN the track in CD1.

Does anyone know if it added material or substituted material?

edit: Ok, I think I get it now that I heard the previous versions in the first expanded LLL and ost.

The insert substitutes material.

So, we have here the track in CD1 WITH the insert.

And the cue without the insert which has an alternate passage is in the OST track.

In the previous LLL version we had the cue as it was in the OST and the insert seperately.

edit:

About cd1track 18.

It says "Chorus and orchestra". There isn't any orchestra in the film version. It's chorus and organ. Maybe that's what it means? But again the chorus and organ version is in the first LLL expansion and in the OST, so i don't understand why it says previously unreleased.

So, there are 3 versions?

Chorus and organ, chorus and orchestra, orchestra?

Although the chorus and orchestra is NOT a film version.

Isn't this the eighth time Home Alone has been re-released this year?

And it deserves every one of those releases!

I think it's our obsession with anniversaries like 25 and 50 that made this a considered title for expansion and reissue. I'm content with the amount of Home Alone music I presently own.

Isn't this the eighth time Home Alone has been re-released this year?

And it deserves every one of those releases!

I think that that main title theme is one of the best themes Williams ever written. (i would probably include it in a list of Williams' 10 best themes ever. Do we have a thread about this? Not best scores. Best themes)

I love that delicate chromaticism in the celesta, which is so absent in film music today.

(this and the Stored memories choir theme from A.I. are the ones I had tried to transcribe by ear in the past because I love them)

So many little details and textures..

I'm going to get this strictly for the film version of "Have Yourself A Merry Little Christmas." I am also curious to hear how the sound quality is improved. The previous release sounds excellent already. This is probably as definitive as this release is going to get of this score unless if they're saving the rest for the 30th anniversary. ;)

Jay do you know what's the story of cd 1 track 18?

Why it says previously unreleased?

Is it chorus and orchestra or chorus and organ?

If it's chorus and organ what is the difference with the previously released version?

Also what's the difference between the 2 Have Yourself a Merry Little Christmas in cd2?

CD 1 track 18 Star Of Bethlehem [Film Version]* 3:03 is possibly my favorite track on the CD! It turns out that in addition to the organ (heard on the album), there are other instruments playing in the take used in the film, too! Finally after 25 years, we have this correct take on CD! It sounds awesome with the extra instruments.

Oddly, even the live to projection concerts only use choir, so I was quite shocked when I first heard this!

All the tracks with "(film version)" indicators on CD1 contain the proper film take for the first time ever!

For "Have Yourself A Merry Little Christmas", track 18 is the Mel Torme album version and track 22 is a version by Southside Johnny that that ultimately replaced by the Torme version in the film

CD 1 track 18 Star Of Bethlehem [Film Version]* 3:03 is possibly my favorite track on the CD! It turns out that in addition to the organ (heard on the album), there are other instruments playing in the take used in the film, too!

Now that you mention it that rings a bell.

I think I may have heard something more in the film.

I'll check it.

So another reissue of a score that adds more music and somehow "improves" the sound, even though we thought we already had the definitive version. Thank God I stopped being a completist.

So another reissue of a score that adds more music and somehow "improves" the sound, even though we thought we already had the definitive version. Thank God I stopped being a completist.

Based on this latest information that they have recovered the original master tapes and they have been encoded at extreme ultra high definition, what you heard before sounded terrible. You just didn't know it yet!

I'm sure Mike Matessino did the best work possible on this new release. But I just don't like this score as much. The other albums I listen to maybe once a year and it's not something I keep thinking about most of the time. My ideal Home Alone album for me would be to combine material from both scores into one 60 minute playlist, to be honest. So no, won't be spending money on this.

Karol

Awesome! I cannot wait to get this. I have LLL's release of the Maestro's score to Home Alone 2: Lost In New York, and I have always wanted to get his score to Home Alone. This will be great, especially since this is the 25th anniversary. Fantastic!

For me, the score is presented best by the OST. This was a score I wanted complete for years. I had "Listening to Carson" recorded from the TV speaker on my Talkboy. However, when the complete score eventually was released, I found that the listening experience was ruined by having all the music and arranging the cues in chronological order. The score doesn't flow at all in complete/chronological presentation. Even the OST is a bit too long. This is yet another reissue of a score that has the OST album presented and they claim it has superior sound and/or that the old version was created from copies of a third generation master that was stolen by Sudanese pirates and played back at the wrong speed (or whatever), but it's always just brighter and louder.

For me, the score is presented best by the OST. This was a score I wanted complete for years. I had "Listening to Carson" recorded from the TV speaker on my Talkboy. However, when the complete score eventually was released, I found that the listening experience was ruined by having all the music and arranging the cues in chronological order. The score doesn't flow at all in complete/chronological presentation. Even the OST is a bit too long. This is yet another reissue of a score that has the OST album presented and they claim it has superior sound and/or that the old version was created from copies of a third generation master that was stolen by Sudanese pirates and played back at the wrong speed (or whatever), but it's always just brighter and louder.

Yeah I feel it's just now I'm beginning to wake up to this "your old version had inferior sources, this latest one is the best it'll ever sound [until we remaster and reissue it again]" spiel is just marketing jargon that preys on this community's vulnerability in its ideology of obsolescence when it comes to older albums.

God Rest Ye Merry Gentleman wasn't even in the film. I know that John Williams used the song in Hook.

Silent Night and God Rest You Merry Gentlemen were originally recorded for the church sequence before being ultimately replaced by Star Of Bethlehem! They've sat in a vault unheard for 25 years!

It feels like I'm the only one excited for this.

I would much rather have them revisit these scores when they have superior elements then take the position "did it already".

The Batman difference was significant.

It feels like I'm the only one excited for this. I would much rather have them revisit these scores when they have superior elements then take the position "did it already". The Batman difference was significant.

I'm very excited about this release!

Like I said, I cannot wait to get this. I never got LLL's first release of the Maestro's score, so to be able to get this, in commemoration of the film's 25th anniversary, with all of the Maestro's music completely remastered and restored, is fantastic. This has been a great year for the Maestro. With the release of his scores to A.I. Artificial Intelligence, Jaws, Jaws 2, and now Home Alone, not to mention his latest work (Star Wars, Episode VII: The Force Awakens), and his latest concert works, it has been phenomenal. Thank you, Maestro.

I'm going to get this strictly for the film version of "Have Yourself A Merry Little Christmas." I am also curious to hear how the sound quality is improved. The previous release sounds excellent already. This is probably as definitive as this release is going to get of this score unless if they're saving the rest for the 30th anniversary. ;)

An instrumental only version of this would be awesome.