Home Alone - 25th Anniversary 2CD Edition by La-La Land Records (2015)

Jay

8 hours ago, Jay said:

Nothing. Everything on the original album is also in the main score program. 

Wait, you're forgetting the Clothesline Trapeze insert. That's different in the main program on CD1. Also Star of Bethlehem vocal version, the film version on CD1 has beautiful organ overlays.

There are some slightly different takes and edit points that appear only on the OST album, because the main program has all the film takes and edit points

1. OST 03 "The House" contains 27 seconds of a different take of "Banished To The Attic" than the take used in the main program
  2. OST 05 "Man Of The House" has slightly different edit points between takes in the "The Basement" part
  3. OST 07 "Scammed By A Kindergartner" contains 2 seconds of a different take of "Target Practice / Sledding On The Stairs" than the take used in the main program, and the "Scammed By A Kindergartner" part is edited slightly differently than the main program version
  4. OST 09 "Follow That Kid!" contains different edit points between takes than the main program (and shortens the pauses)
  5. OST 11 "O Holy Night" has different edit points between takes
  6. OST 13 "Star Of Bethlehem" does not have the synth overlays heard in the main program version
  7. OST 15 "Somewhere In My Memory" has a different take used for a portion

• 1 month later...

In the latest episode of Maurizio's The Legacy of John Williams podcast, Mike Matessino talks a bit about Home Alone, and how the two songs came about. 

https://thelegacyofjohnwilliams.com/2022/01/29/remembering-leslie-bricusse/

The Home Alone discussion is about 1 hour, 30 minutes in, but the entire episode is well worth a listen!

• 3 weeks later...

I'm just re-reading part of the liner notes and have a question: Williams saw Home Alone for the first time in a test screening for Amblin Entertainment, but why did that screening even take place? Filming had already ended, so the movie was going to come out anyway. Why would anyone want Spielberg's potentially negative feedback? Why not a random audience?

PS: Last batch back in stock.

15 hours ago, bollemanneke said:

Why would anyone want Spielberg's potentially negative feedback?

Silly question. Why would anyone seek for feedback from a professional in order to improve the own product?

• 3 months later...

Home-Alone-25-hi-res.jpg First-Knight-Web.jpg

Likewise, there are less than 75 units of HOME ALONE left, and less than 120 units of FIRST KNIGHT left. These are last batches as well and they will be out of print once they are gone!

Get them now at www.lalalandrecords.com!

© 2022 La-La Land Records. All Rights Reserved.

On 23/02/2022 at 2:00 PM, Jurassic Shark said:

Perhaps because Spielberg is a good director with good sense of how to build excitement?

Along with being talented and in tune with audiences, Spielberg is kind of a perfect storm in Hollywood of somebody who has a million friends (don't forget he produced three Columbus scripts), commands a lot of respect, has experience as director, producer, and executive that makes him uniquely skilled at navigating artistry through studio politics, and on top of it all is very nice, makes himself available, and probably knows how to give effective feedback while still being supportive. And he would know what kind of note to give based on where they were at, e.g. if there were no chance of reshoots he'd focus on post-production fixes.

I'm no longer surprised whenever I see some interview or article mention that Steven Spielberg gave input at some stage of the process. I have no idea how he has the time for all this. 

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...

I couldn't find this being discussed anywhere: When Star of Bethlehem plays in the film, why are there extra chimes during several sections of the cue that aren't present in either the film version or the OST? Or is it supposed to be the actual organ in the church as source music?

I think you're asking the wrong sort of question - all sorts of things will happen in post when the director wants to add or change stuff for the final mix and the composer isn't fussed about, or doesn't want them on album.

And that's assuming they're meant to be part of the score at all.

It winds me up all the time when stuff in the film is different to the album, but it happens.

10 hours ago, Brando said:

I couldn't find this being discussed anywhere: When Star of Bethlehem plays in the film, why are there extra chimes during several sections of the cue that aren't present in either the film version or the OST? Or is it supposed to be the actual organ in the church as source music?

I never noticed, I'm going to check it out later. 

5 hours ago, Richard Penna said:

I think you're asking the wrong sort of question - all sorts of things will happen in post when the director wants to add or change stuff for the final mix and the composer isn't fussed about, or doesn't want them on album.

And that's assuming they're meant to be part of the score at all.

It winds me up all the time when stuff in the film is different to the album, but it happens.

I get that, but there’s chimes in the film version in some of the same places heard in the film, but not all. And the chimes both in film and album sound the same, just in different places. It could be something like source music, but it’s still perplexing.

• 2 weeks later...

Listened to part of disc one on the CD player. This is such a great release. Amazing dynamic range quality and stunning presentation. I used to dislike the fact that the carols were all moved to the end of the score, but what MM did really works. All hail Mike.

• 2 weeks later...
33 minutes ago, bollemanneke said:

Another thing I recently noticed: in the original Clothesline insert version, I think the horns play a wrong note. Real shame they never re-did it since it's so beautiful.

Yeah...there are actually quite a few cues with wrong notes here and there ! Typically when the Horn section is in unison in the high register, someone is always bound to mess up a note 😛 I've heard that so many times during live concerts, even with the best orchestras ! Horn definitely is not the easiest instrument to play 🙃

Hell yes!

It’s certainly on the top 10 of the 70 or so expanded scores we’ve got. Depending on where in the top 10 is a matter of taste. Or, if you’re not a fan, then number 11! ; )

On top of that - as far as expansions go - it has been one of the most necessary ones.

Thank God we got this expansion. After living with the OST for far too long, along came Mike Matessino, asking the JWfan community:

You guys give up? Or are you thirsty for more?

More, Mike. Always more.

On 02/12/2022 at 11:39 AM, BB-8 said:

I've only got the expanded HA2 and the HA OST.

Am I missing anything significant?

Of all the releases of HA and HA2, OST and expansion, the HA expansion C&C disk has for me the best listening experience as an album. But if you are someone who doesn't care much for album programs and you create your own playlists and edits anyway, it doesn't matter much and you are probably fine with the OST and the HA2 expansion.

• 2 weeks later...

I re-watched the movie on Christmas Eve and it was a very fun time! I thought the "Walking Home" track was especially poignant this time through.

Question: Is the track titled "Hard Count" a typo, considering that in the movie scene they perform a "head count" of the children. Is there something I'm missing with this track title?

28 minutes ago, Trope said:

Is there something I'm missing with this track title?

Maybe that they're trying to count them, Buzz is interfering, and they're miscounting them because the neighbour kid "stands in for" Kevin?