Braveheart - New 2CD Expanded 20th Anniversary Edition from La La Land

Jay

12289566_10153864674573755_2809749116453

Our fourth release is a very special one, for obvious reasons.

Twenty years ago James Horner wrote one of his finest scores. Now, we present to you this definitive edition

BRAVEHEART: LIMITED EDITION (2-CD SET) LLLCD 1375
Music by James Horner
Limited Edition of 3000 Units
RETAIL PRICE: $29.98

La-La Land Records, Icon Productions, Paramount Pictures and Universal Music Special Markets proudly celebrate the 20th Anniversary of the 1995 historical epic BRAVEHEART with an expanded and remastered 2-CD limited edition release of renowned composer James Horners (ALIENS, GLORY, SEARCHING FOR BOBBY FISCHER, TITANIC) original motion picture score. The 1995 Best Picture winner, starring Mel Gibson, Sophie Marceau and Patrick McGoohan, and directed by Mel Gibson, continues to endure today as a cinematic landmark and Mr. Horners indelible, Oscar-nominated score ranks among his finest thrilling, dramatic, romantic - expertly supporting and advancing plot, character and heartfelt emotion in equal measure. Produced by Dan Goldwasser and Mike Matessino, and mastered by Matessino from Paramount vault elements, this 2-CD expanded presentation has a total running time of nearly 2 hours and 10 minutes and contains previously unreleased music, as well as source music tracks and additional alternate cues. Exclusive, in-depth liner notes from writer Jeff Bond, featuring new interview comments from director/star Mel Gibson, and bold art direction from Jim Titus complement this deluxe release, marking this classic films anniversary and composer James Horners rich legacy. This limited edition release of 3000 units is dedicated to James Horners memory.

TRACK LISTING:

DISC 1 (Total Time: 67:42)

1 Logo / Main Title 3:38
2 Hanging of the Peacemakers* 1:21
3 Williams Father Leaves to Fight* :59
4 A Fathers Final Return* 2:56
5 A Gift of a Thistle 1:39
6 Outlawed Tunes on Outlawed Pipes 2:06
7 Royal Wedding* / Domino Fidelium 2:10
8 Grown Wallace Arrives* 1:19
9 Prima Noctes 1:58
10 Wallace Courts Murron 4:29
11 The Secret Wedding 6:36
12 Attack on Murron 3:02
13 Revenge (extended version)+ 6:46
14 Murrons Burial 2:17
15 Wallace on the Move* / Run to the Stronghold* 3:26
16 Making Plans / Gathering the Clans (extended version)+ 2:13
17 Sons of Scotland 6:22
18 The Battle of Stirling (extended version)+ 6:18
19 Wallace Moves on York* 1:25
20 Wallaces Dream* 2:13
21 Vision of Murron 1:55
22 The Princess Was a Pawn* / Wallace Moves Again* 2:38

DISC 2 (Total Time: 61:27)

1 Falkirk 4:08
2 Betrayal and Desolation 7:51
3 Mornays Dream 1:19
4 The Legend Spreads* 1:13
5 The Fire Trap* 1:16
6 Romantic Alliance* 2:25
7 Wallace Is Caught* 1:43
8 The Princess Pleads for Wallaces Life (film version)* 3:39
9 Wallace to the Scaffold* 1:22
10 Freedom / The Execution / Bannockburn 7:23
11 End Credits 7:15
12 For the Love of a Princess 4:11

Source Music:

13 Scottis* Wedding Music 1:25
14 Drum Roll* / Sleepy Maggy* 1:13

Additional Music:

15 Main Title (album version) 2:55
16 Sons of Scotland (alternate)+ 6:21
17 The Battle of Stirling (alternate opening)* 2:06
18 The Princess Pleads for Wallaces Life (album version) 3:43

Total Album Time: 129:09
* Previously unreleased
+ Contains previously unreleased material

https://www.facebook.com/lalalandrecords/photos/np.1448611350741012.502903435/10153864674573755/?type=3&theater

Drum Roll! My most wanted unreleased cue from any score!

I thought it was the Typewriter from Jaws, 24 seconds of sublime.

This looks like a wonderful release. But... I can't even make my way through the original 1995 soundtrack album.

Karol

Seriously man, have you not ever dreamt of owning that Drum Roll/Sleepy Maggy piece from the film?

So how complete is this expanded release?

I am assuming it is complete despite the way LLL names their releases.

OMG... It was rumored, but now it's official. 2+ hours of absolutely gorgeous and thrilling music.

I've always preferred the film version of the main title with that haunting opening on synths. Immediately puts me in the right mood!

I'll be able to throw away my customized and way shorter edition.

In the year Horner dies his number one masterpiece (IMO) gets the best possible treatment.

That would be great. Would be better if they just called it 'complete score'. Deleting my previous albums now!

I think they stopped doing that because people kept complaining that some small morsel was left off (it would be hypocritical to deny I was one of those people).

Like crocodile, I can't make it through the original album. Not sure how 2 hours of this will play. I do however have a DVD-rip of what I assume is A Father's Final Return (synth-based cue right at the beginning).

They're important pieces of the score's history. The older mastering (more dynamic in the 80s), the old-school artwork, the composer's desired way for the music to be heard, the fact that you own something that came out at the same time as the movie (or at least as close as possible to the film's release).

They're important pieces of the score's history. The older mastering (more dynamic in the 80s), the old-school artwork, the composer's desired way for the music to be heard, the fact that you own something that came out at the same time as the movie (or at least as close as possible to the film's release).

Yeah yeah yeah, whatever man!

That would be great. Would be better if they just called it 'complete score'.

The release looks pretty complete to me.

As for the name, LLL decided years ago now that they would never label any edition as "Complete" even if they were 100% sure it was, because of vocal complainers would would raise arms when one 10 second unused synth overlay from a bootleg or some alternate way a cue was edited in the film was not included, or whatever. So most LLL releases that are called "Expanded" are actually complete, no worries.

I'm sure there will be tracks I drop from the playlist -- there were with the OST -- but I'm still drawn to this one for its sound and comprehensiveness. No longer will there be multiple versions of this score on my shelf haha!

Fantastic cover too!

The only thing that surprises me about this release is that its 3,000 units and not 5,000. This will be the first title out of this year's batch to sell out.

cool, Do you think this and the pagemaster bodes well for a Willow release?

Instant buy LLL, i tell you.

That would be great. Would be better if they just called it 'complete score'.

The release looks pretty complete to me.

As for the name, LLL decided years ago now that they would never label any edition as "Complete" even if they were 100% sure it was, because of vocal complainers would would raise arms when one 10 second unused synth overlay from a bootleg or some alternate way a cue was edited in the film was not included, or whatever. So most LLL releases that are called "Expanded" are actually complete, no worries.

Let's be fair.

It's not just us ungrateful score collectors.

This way they also cover their asses if they find new elements and release the true complete score years later ;)

The only thing that surprises me about this release is that its 3,000 units and not 5,000. This will be the first title out of this year's batch to sell out.

Could very well be. It remains popular outside of general film music fandom.

I know score-lovers are supposed to salivate over this release, and I'm truly happy for them, especially Horner fans since it's been a tough year emotionally, but this score doesn't really do much for me as a stand-alone experience. Nice pastoral main theme though.

I do however have a DVD-rip of what I assume is A Father's Final Return (synth-based cue right at the beginning).

Yes! I'll be happy to finally hear that unreleased highlight without wind or sound effects. It's a beautiful little theme that reappears at 4:41 of "Sons of Scotland", and throughout the end credits

That is why I never really valued historical epics as a genre. Or any "based on real events" films, for that matter. Seems like most of them are worthless in that regard.

Karol

Gladiator happened okay!

A great film.

Not historically accurate in any way shape or form though.

I cringe every time I watch it and it gets referred to as "the colosseum".

I want a version of Titanic that doesn't have dialogue and sound effects, unrelated recordings of period music, inferior re-recordings and various memorable cues still not included despite an overabundance of a bunch of other crap I didn't want and would never listen to.

(sorry, Horner)

I wish they would do Titanic like this.

I am really happy with the OST and it is enough music from the film as I rarely listen to even the OST these days. At first I was tempted to get this Braveheart release for completeness' sake but now I am leaning toward no after all. The OST is fine for me in that case too.

There are some pieces i would choose over the redundancies on the official - which also has strange distortions in the rear end - and the film version of the 'For the Love of a Princess' still is a top cue i miss, so.

Some info from Mike Matessino about this release

Posted: Nov 30, 2015 - 1:46 AM

By: mxmx (Member)

I'm wondering if anyone who worked on the new release can comment about the audio.

The North American release (green cover) had a lot of clipping whenever the bass got intense.

Cues like 'Attack on Murron', 'Mornay's Dream' and the ending of 'Bannockburn' have it.

The international release (black cover) eliminated most of the clipping but has swapped audio channels and actually sounds correct because of it.

Are the clipping issues inherent in the recording at all since some were eliminated from the black cover release but not all?

Also for cues like "The Secret Wedding" there were two different takes used, one on the first album, the second being the film version which was heard on the "More Music from" follow up. The only difference between the two are in Tony Hinnigan's quena solos, as the film version was more loosely performed (if that makes sense) while the first album version was more musically precise. I'm betting on the film version for the new release but I just wanted to mention it in case anyone could explain why there was such a subtle difference between them.

At the risk of compounding a felony, I'll address the Braveheart questions here.

Re: "The Secret Wedding" - as there is no track with that title on the "More Music" release, can you explain what music you're looking for? Was it something that was pulled right off the film? As I recall, the track in the main program is the same as the one on the original album.

Dan Goldwasser assembled the program and he delivered pre-mastered mixes to me that did not show any signs of clipping. If anything, the levels were very low and it seemed that this was the case on the original album as well.

I came onto the project because La-La Land wanted Mr. Horner's blessing for the release, and as I was already dealing with his representatives on the Williams and Silvestri projects (the ones released over the past few weeks) as well as two other Horner titles (Pagemaster and another coming early next year), I relayed the request and was then asked to work on the project and master it. Mr. Horner approved the release less than two weeks before the tragic accident. So it is dedicated to him and contains a lovely page with memorial notes from Mel Gibson and from James' longtime music editor Jim Henrikson.

Everyone who worked on it is very proud of it. Dan did a great assembly and everything available to us was included with the exception of one bagpipe source track that we were asked to cut.

Mike M.

http://filmscoremonthly.com/board/posts.cfm?threadID=112880&forumID=1&archive=0