Braveheart - New 2CD Expanded 20th Anniversary Edition from La La Land

Jay

It's always odd to me when composers ask for something like that to not be included. Now, not having it be a part of the main program, I can totally understand. But it would have been in the bonus track area, so who cares what's in there? Why not make the fans happy, as long as a musically sound main program is kept intact. Oh well. It's certainly not a track I personally would ever listen to so I don't care at all.

Huh. An odd assumption to make.

All the specialty labels except Kritzerland do samples, always have.

I only ever listen to samples when a score is coming out new so if I was buying something from the specialties I'd already be familiar with the score.

Waa it definitely written by Horner or did someone else provide tgethe source music?

There isn't much if any bagpipe in the score itself. Sounds mostly uileann to me.

The whole things holds up better in complete form than I would have guessed, even with the extras at the end. Beautiful album!

I was thinking it would be more repetitive than it actually is. The complete score is really an amazing listen.

I forgot about the end title suite. What a gorgeous summary of the entire score. For some reason, when listening to that track (and also 'A Father's Final Return'), I was hit by the sudden realisation that he'sno longer here, even though I already knew that.

I forgot about the end title suite. What a gorgeous summary of the entire score. For some reason, when listening to that track (and also 'A Father's Final Return'), I was hit by the sudden realisation that he'sno longer here, even though I already knew that.

I've listened to several Horners since his accident... and to me he remains alive through his wonderful music. It was like that with Jerry too and it will be like that with Johnny. But I'll be absolutely devastated the day the inevitable happens (and the days after), I won't deny that.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 year later...

I have it. Haven't played it all the way through too many times, but there's certainly a great deal of previously unreleased stuff on it that I play often. Between this, Dances with Wolves and Home Alone, there's a lot of music I'm still listening to from one Black Friday. :music:

Amazingly enough, I picked this up, barely used, at Camden Market last week for three pounds. It had a five pound sticker on it but as I was looking at it the guy immediately said three. So of course it was a no brainer.  The funny thing was there was another sticker on the back that said $7.00, so apparently this disc has made the rounds and somehow landed here from America.

This was always one of my favourite scores (I think at one time it was always one of everyone's favourite scores), so I was really happy to get this, especially since I didn't know it even existed. Most of the major stuff is on the OST, and I think most of the "new" cues I hadn't heard before are more atmospheric, but it makes listening to the entire album a much more satisfying experience. 

• 6 months later...

I listened to my disc 2 for the first time yesterday. Is it me, or are there volume problems here? Wallace to the Scaffold sounds really loud and then the next track is quiet again...

• 1 month later...
On 6/16/2018 at 6:46 PM, bollemanneke said:

I listened to my disc 2 for the first time yesterday. Is it me, or are there volume problems here? Wallace to the Scaffold sounds really loud and then the next track is quiet again...

From the lack of replies it seems it's only you. ;)

I just checked my own CD and everything seems to be fine. Maybe you should check with LLL to see whether they received any similar complaints?

• 11 months later...

I'm only slightly familiar with this score, but does anyone know where/if this appears on the LLL expansion?

Or did Horner record a stripped orchestra, meaning the strings were recorded individually, then the brass, etc. Because it sounds like a strings-only version of Freedom/The Execution.

On another topic, I wonder if we'll get an Apocalypto expansion from LLL anytime soon? An excellent score in its own right, it also served as a semi-prototype for Avatar, even moreso than the echoes of Braveheart in Titanic. I'm sure Gibson would be more than happy to support it too.

4 hours ago, crumbs said:

I'm only slightly familiar with this score, but does anyone know where/if this appears on the LLL expansion?

Or did Horner record a stripped orchestra, meaning the strings were recorded individually, then the brass, etc. Because it sounds like a strings-only version of Freedom/The Execution.

Correct. It's rehearsal footage of Horner conducting the string section for that climactic cue. I'd love to hear that on its own, especially the ending with the...I want to say quivering / cascading strings that were one of his staples in his string writing...I just don't know the musical term for it. 

Apocalypto is technically a Disney title.