John Barry's DANCES WITH WOLVES (1990) - 2CD Expanded 25th Anniversary Edition from La La Land 2015

Jay

12301533_10153864677518755_4662830559187

And now I am honored to present one of my all time favorite scores....done "La-La Land" style!

Last, but not least...

DANCES WITH WOLVES: 25th ANNIVERSARY EXPANDED LIMITED EDITION

(2-CD SET) LLLCD 1350

Music by John Barry

Limited Edition of 5000 Units

RETAIL PRICE: $29.98

La-La Land Records, MGM and Sony Music proudly celebrate the 25th Anniversary of the landmark 1990 Best Picture winner, DANCES WITH WOLVES, with a meticulously remastered and expanded re-issue of legendary composer John Barrys (GOLDFINGER, OUT OF AFRICA, BODY HEAT) Academy Award-Winning original motion picture score. DANCES WITH WOLVES, starring Kevin Costner, Mary McDonnell and Graham Greene, and directed by Kevin Costner, has earned its place as one of cinemas finest achievements, and John Barrys lush, emotionally charged musical masterwork is an integral part its legacy. This special 2-CD release, produced by Didier C. Deutsch and Mark G. Wilder, and mastered by Wilder from studio vault elements, showcases the original film version of the score, expanded with previously unreleased music and featuring a total running time of more than 2 hours and 20 minutes! Additional music tracks are also presented, including alternate cues, as well as radio promotional cuts. Exclusive, in-depth liner notes by writer Randall D. Larson and classic art design by Mark Banning, featuring artist Casaro Rentatos breathtaking international key art on the front cover, round out this deluxe limited edition of 5000 units, which is executive produced for La-La Land by MV Gerhard, Matt Verboys and Neil S. Bulk, and co-produced by Ford A. Thaxton.

TRACK LISTING:

THE FILM SCORE

01.Main Title / Looks Like a Suicide / Second Suicide Attempt 7:38

02. Charge 1:04

03. Ride to Fort Hays 2:08

04. Journey to Fort Sedgewick / Shooting Star / Arrival at Fort Sedgewick 4:57

05. Ghosts 0:55

06. Timmons Leaves 2:23

07. Stranger in the Night 0:51

08. Dead Deer in the River 0:53

09. Smoke Signal / The Death of Timmons 3:54

10. Two Socks The Wolf Theme 1:36

11. You There 1:02

12. Preparations 1:23

13. Bump on the Head 0:44

14. Sioux Steal Cisco 0:58

15. Spit and Polish 1:13

16. The Village 1:18

17. Shes Hurt 1:07

18. Let Him Go / Kicking Bird Visits / Coffee Cups 1:37

19. Stands With a Fist Remembers 2:14

20. Another Visit / Kicking Birds Gift 2:48

21. Dunbar, Not Dumb Bear 1:28

22. Journey to the Buffalo Killing Ground 3:48

23. Spotting the Herd 1:52

24. The Buffalo Hunt / Smiles a Lot Is Saved 5:11

25. Return From the Hunt / Never So Lonely 2:14

26. Fire Dance (composed by Peter Buffett) 1:41

27. Two Socks at Play 2:02

28. I Like to Make the Talk / Falling in Love 3:06

29. I Love Her 1:59

30. Hand-Fed Jerky 1:11

31. We Must Be Careful (The Love Theme) 3:58

Total Disc 1 Running Time: 69:11

THE FILM SCORE CONTINUED

1. Pawnee Are Coming / Rifles / Pawnee / Pawnee Attack / Stone Calf Dies / Toughest Pawnee Dies 8:22

2. Victory 1:03

3. The Wedding / The Busy Bee 3:14

4. In My Own Time 0:46

5. The Death of Cisco 2:17

6. Wind in His Hair Goes Back 1:00

7. Turned Injun 1:24

8. I Am Dances With Wolves / Back to Fort Hays 1:37

9. Goodbye Two Socks 2:12

10. Rescue of Dances With Wolves / Sgt. Bauer Dies 3:16

11. The Loss of the Journal and the Return to Winter Camp 2:12

12. I Must Go / Only a Sioux 1:42

13. Kicking Birds Gift 1:36

14. Farewell and End Title 8:56

ADDITIONAL MUSIC

15. Charge (alternate) 1:04

16. Journey to Fort Sedgewick (alternate take) 2:04

17. The John Dunbar Theme 2:20

18 . The Death of Timmons (alternate) 2:25

19. Bump on the Head (alternate) 0:36

20. Spotting the Herd (alternate 1) 1:52

21. Spotting the Herd (alternate 2) 1:52

22. The Buffalo Hunt (album version) 2:47

23. Goodbye Two Socks (alternate) 2:09

24. The Buffalo Hunt (alternate take) 4:35

25. The John Dunbar Theme 2:08

26. The John Dunbar Theme (with vocal slate) 2:33

27. Kevin Costner in the Studio 0:35

28. The John Dunbar Theme (radio promo mix) 3:42

29. Dances With Wolves (radio promo mix) 5:13

Disc 2 Total Running Time: 75:33

Total Album Running Time: 2:24:44

https://www.facebook.com/lalalandrecords/photos/np.1448611350741012.502903435/10153864677518755/?type=3&theater

Well I think my poor wallet can manage this purchase along with Braveheart (and possibly the Pagemaster).

Why did you write those movies' titles as two separated wo rds?

Bec ause I am still baffled by the way English builds compound words.

I had downloaded some kind of complete score bootleg years ago and, admittedly, found it a real chore. Barry is a genius but there's only so many repetitive renditions of the main theme you can sit through without losing your sanity. He never really develops the theme or takes it to interesting places orchestrationally. Maybe this presentation will change my mind?

This looks like a wonderful release. But... I can't even make my way through the original 1990 soundtrack album.

Karol

I can, but the Sony expanded release on the other hand...

I can, but the Sony expanded release on the other hand...

27. Kevin Costner in the Studio 0:35

My life is complete.

Costner in da house yo!

I had downloaded some kind of complete score bootleg years ago and, admittedly, found it a real chore. Barry is a genius but there's only so many repetitive renditions of the main theme you can sit through without losing your sanity. He never really develops the theme or takes it to interesting places orchestrationally. Maybe this presentation will change my mind?

Same here - I haven't seen the film, but on album, there's so little variation of material. My playlist has only about 2/3 of the cues from the album.

Same here - I haven't seen the film, but on album, there's so little variation of material. My playlist has only about 2/3 of the cues from the album.

It's the Saving Private Ryan effect. Brilliant score in the film and a memorable main theme, but in isolation it just doesn't work as a listening experience in complete score form.

Please, correct this at once! :)

(and of course I'd suggest the theatrical cut for first viewing. Not the extended one)

I put together a comparison spreadsheet of all 4 releases, hopefully I didn't miss anything

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1OqgVhFKU1yz0iJzaQNYtP6j2ozwo2CKs1nIeIdTW0FM/pubhtml

I put together a comparison spreadsheet of all 4 releases, hopefully I didn't miss anything

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1OqgVhFKU1yz0iJzaQNYtP6j2ozwo2CKs1nIeIdTW0FM/pubhtml

Oh, I didn't know about that 1995 Gold disc!

So, that's where the pieces I was listening in the radio came from!

And I thought they had edited/looped the ost tracks! :P

It's the kind of release (like Braveheart) which I would want to buy if only because it looks like a really well-made product (superb cover art, probably great liner notes, etc...), but that I know I'd probably wouldn't listen to that much.

The labels sure know how to make their releases desirable!

I like the purple, not so much the Kevin Costner image in the center. Somehow it bothers me that the two subjects are looking in slightly different directions on the new cover.

On an unrelated note, I just bought the movie and will FINALLY be getting around to watching it.

On an unrelated note, I just bought the movie and will FINALLY be getting around to watching it.

Theatrical cut or director's cut?

Y'know, somehow I just assumed both cuts would be included on the blu-ray. No idea why I did that. Checked Amazon and it looks like I got the director's cut.

IT'S ABOUT %&$#@! TIME!!! I've been waiting for an expanded release of this score for years. My favorite Barry work, by far (and one of my favorite films). Can't wait to get this one.

I agree that--ironically--the main theme (meaning the John Dunbar Theme) is the relative lowlight of the score. Much as I love the work as a whole, this piece never did much for me . . . and it irks me to no end that this is always the piece played on radio programs and in compilations. Just about every other theme is so much better: the Journey to Fort Sedgewick, Two Socks, Rescuing Dances With Wolves, The Buffalo Hunt, and the ever-pleasant and satisfying Buffalo Robe theme. This is one of Barry's richest thematic palettes, and most people can't think past the main character's ballad. What a waste.

Theatrical cut or director's cut?

Y'know, somehow I just assumed both cuts would be included on the blu-ray. No idea why I did that. Checked Amazon and it looks like I got the director's cut.

It's for the best. If you're going to do it, then take the whole journey. This is one four-hour experience that never felt longer than a standard-length movie to me.

Both versions are very good. But it's amazing how you never get a sense you're watching an overlong, padded version when watching the four hour director's cut. I quite like that version of the film. Like Uni said, it's like taking a completer trip through the narrative. It works very well.

• 2 years later...

I've never heard that earlier expananded version, but compared to the original OST presentation, I find this far superior.  It really grabs you and pulls you into its world and takes you on such an emotional and wonderful ride.

The release may seem long, but a lot of it is bonus tracks, and I just skip those.  Play from disc 1 track 1 until the end credits finish, then just stop.  Bliss.