John Barry's DANCES WITH WOLVES (1990) - 2CD Expanded 25th Anniversary Edition from La La Land 2015

Jay

The worst part is they delayed Flight of the Intruder and he could have done both.

It stings.

12 hours ago, Hedji said:

I have to admire your discipline and loyalty.  It's too bad there isn't even a rejected score to compare, because it's always fun to play "What If?'  But I actually get resisting a certain composer just because.  I'm sort of the same way with James Newton Howard and John Powell for no good reason.  Sometimes it's hard to get out of our own dogmatic way.

You never know where the music will take you, though.  I've got a handful of Barry on my shelves, and am now wanting more because of this.  I'm convinced some of my inclination towards Barry's mellow composition has to do with aging and the occasional need for soothing pastoral music.

I actually like quite a bit of other Barry and I am quite sure I would like this too. It's an odd little situation.

• 4 months later...

The LAST DANCE

We are down to just 50 copies of our 5000 limited edition release of DANCES WITH WOLVES 25th Anniversary. Once its gone, its gone for good!

https://lalalandrecords.com/dances-with-wolves-25th-anniversary-expanded-limited-edition-2-cd-set/

https://filmscoremonthly.com/board/posts.cfm?threadID=147755&forumID=1&archive=0

16 minutes ago, Yavar Moradi said:

I wasn't. I like the LLL complete edition far more.

Yavar

I particularly love the expansion because we get more of the "militaristic" Dunbar theme that's first heard in the opening credits but more fleshed out in cues like "Spit and Polish"

My copy arrived just two days ago. So happy to finally have a John Barry score in my collection! 

Fingers crossed I can add a few Bond scores in the next few years, if LLL can resume their work with EON. 

3 hours ago, Andy said:

Do NOT miss this. One of my best CD purchases of last year. 

Well, if you do miss it, there is always the SEVENTY NINE minute, " incomplete" SONY edition😉😙

Shame, it is a really nice set actually. For years, I was avoiding the other extended disc due to my worries it would be an overkill. But the LLL one really changed my mind. It feels, oddly, less repetitive than the original album. Glad I picked it up a couple of years ago.

Karol

• 1 year later...

This is one of those multi dip scores for me. I had the original release, mistakingly bought the gold disc release (did not read the back to see what the extra tracks were), the first expansion, and then the LLL. 

Might be my favorite Barry score, aside from King Kong.

it's in my top 10 scores of all time too, maybe top 5!

Two Socks theme is so beautiful. Has hints of playfulness and sadness. 

But holy fuck when he dies in the film...I usually have to fast foward it. It sends me into a fit of sadness.