John Williams reacts to "The Force Awakens" trailer/tv spots music

Unofficial But True

Wow!

The second video you've posted is awesome!

I like the theme for the Falcon chase, and the writing of Force theme!

Now I have the feeling to watch the trailer scored as it should be!

Amazing work :)

I laughed out loud when you played those "drums"! :lol:

The rescored version is amazing, and much more interesting than the stuff we've heard already (to me at least). And it actually works with the trailer really well, unlike some other attempts. Awesome job! worship.gif

Great work!

I love that all this material can be of inspiration for creating new music. There's always a new musical work waiting to be written, and yours is clearly done with affection.

Your first video got me in a deep state of meditation about the future of the profession.

Honnestly, the music they put on trailers... who gives a shit about that?

For a movie, there's no more just 1 or 2 trailers like before... now it often gets over a dozen declinaisons of trailers and TV spots.

At his age, John Williams has others things to do than recording cues for trailer(s).

I'm pretty sure it was a parody... :huh:

No shit, Sherloert.

That's it. Go to the corner until you learn to play nice with others' candid observations.

No shit, Sherloert.

If you wrote that mainly so you could use that pun, I forgive you.

Otherwise, prepare for a good boallocking.

The arrangement in the second video is the proper one.

Exactly, they're parodying the TV spot music and criticising their own parody not the actual music. You can create your own version of anything, make it as bad as you want and then use it to claim what you're parodying is shoddy.

It's the ultimate "Get-out-of-being-criticized Free" card on the internet. ;)

Thank you very very much all for your kind words !

At his age, John Williams has others things to do than recording cues for trailer(s).

For me, and I don't think I am alone, Star Wars trailers are something special...it's part of the magic, the wait, the surprise...a wrong music can ruined this experience.
and it's not just about this trailer, I am also worried about the future...maybe this is just a first step : too many people saying that Williams has never sounded like this..., could lead Disney to make a bad choice.

Williams doesn't need to record new music. Edit the trailer on Star Wars soundtracks, as it has been done for the prequel, would have been enough.

Exactly, they're parodying the TV spot music and criticising their own parody not the actual music. You can create your own version of anything, make it as bad as you want and then use it to claim what you're parodying is shoddy.

it would have taken me the same time to reproduce exactly the same thing as the original tv spot. You have, in this first video, a classic trailer sound, not worse, not better.

I have not tried to make it sound as bad as possible...this is bad, as it is.

Thank you very very much all for your kind words !

For me, and I don't think I am alone, Star Wars trailers are something special...it's part of the magic, the wait, the surprise...a wrong music can ruined this experience.

and it's not just about this trailer, I am also worried about the future...maybe this is just a first step : too many people saying that Williams has never sounded like this..., could lead Disney to make a bad choice.

Williams doesn't need to record new music. Edit the trailer on Star Wars soundtracks, as it has been done for the prequel, would have been enough.

it would have taken me the same time to reproduce exactly the same thing as the original tv spot. You have, in this first video, a classic trailer sound, not worse, not better.

Maybe you should consider a career in scoring trailers?

Why not? These guys have:

http://www.twostepsfromhell.com/

For a movie, there's no more just 1 or 2 trailers like before... now it often gets over a dozen declinaisons of trailers and TV spots.

Well, in the past, Williams has scored trailers with some great results like Nixon and Harry Potter.

Well, in the past, Williams has scored trailers with some great results like Nixon and Harry Potter.

Yes, but in those case, there was a desire to create an "experience", there maybe was a greater sense of artistry, uniqueness, in those trailers.

Now, John Williams is older, he don't direct all the music himself. And the promo of Star Wars by Disney... is... waaaaa... HUUUUUGE.

We now have what... over 12 different TV spots and trailers? It's not art anymore, it's a factory product.

Well, we already fell and it was predictable, that the quantity is now much important than the quality.

It doesn't bother me.

The trailers worked on me, i had tears in the eyes while watching them.

What I just saying is that John Williams don't have to record specific music for a Star Wars trailer.

Superb job UBT !

I wasn't expecting such good music to be honest, it really enhances the mood and increases the emotion.

This is the kind of trailer that makes me say, I want to see the movie. With that generic music playing, I wasn't so sure, as strange as that may sound.

But what I want to know, how in the hell did you make like it was played by a big orchestra?

• 2 weeks later...

Unofficial But True? you wouldn't happen to know TheCutter would you?

The Cutter ?.. Now that's a name I haven't heard in a long time...a long time...

Well...of course I know him... He's me! I haven't gone by the name The Cutter since oh...

but my Sony Vegas is ready for TFA

Sorry for the late answer, really busy with another forum

I'm sure Unofficial But True would love to write music a la Two Steps From Hell...

:)

Superb job UBT !

I wasn't expecting such good music to be honest, it really enhances the mood and increases the emotion.

This is the kind of trailer that makes me say, I want to see the movie. With that generic music playing, I wasn't so sure, as strange as that may sound.

But what I want to know, how in the hell did you make like it was played by a big orchestra?

Thanks for the kind words

I want to know this too!

We want full details, UBT!

It's all virtual instruments (excepted the oboe) - you will find many usefull informations here : http://vi-control.net/portal/

The rescoring is gorgeous! Congratulations!

I would be interested to know too what sample libraries you used.

The strings are usually so difficult to emulate, but here they sound so good!

Thanks ! mainly Hollywood Strings

The hilarious thing is that even your "parody" version sounds better than the latest TV spot.

hahahaha !

Ed Shearmur linked your video in a comment on Conrad Pope's facebook. :)

And he was thankful! :)

Nice !

for those who are interested in the writting process :

Well done, sir. I tip my hat.