The Force Awakens film to feature "Cantina Song" written by Lin-Manuel Miranda & JJ Abrams

aj_vader

Maybe Manuel.

That's preposterous.

:stick:

Well, Manuel is a recurrent name in Spanish speaking nations, while this is the first time that I hear "Lin-Manuel" as a plausible name.

Anyways, I don't think Luke Skywalker will need to change his name. ;)

Let me ask you guys this.

In light of the fact that the tracklist posted to Amazon.FR and Amazon.IT didn't contain "Cantina Song", do we think that entire tracklist was fake all along? Just made up by someone who had read all the spoilers?

That's possible, right? It was, after all, quickly taken down from both Amazon sites, and hasn't showed up in any official place otherwise.

Amazon just updated the album cover! It isn't good news, folks...

http://www.amazon.com/Star-Wars-The-Force-Awakens/dp/B014V6JIQK

Amaf0ud.jpg

When do we start to panic?!

crumbs is right!! Just saw this from the brand new Star Wars Launch Bay:

post-251-0-30174100-1448998119.png

;)

post-251-0-30174100-1448998119.png

Let me ask you guys this.

In light of the fact that the tracklist posted to Amazon.FR and Amazon.IT didn't contain "Cantina Song", do we think that entire tracklist was fake all along? Just made up by someone who had read all the spoilers?

That's possible, right? It was, after all, quickly taken down from both Amazon sites, and hasn't showed up in any official place otherwise.

Was the song from Into Darkness on the OST CD?

Not that it matters much, but after watching the Abrams interview clip, there's still the possibility that after the locals sing their song in the cantina, some action happens and a new source piece starts up that's just instrumental and composed by Williams. Isn't that what usually happens in Star Wars?

This is an hilarious turn of events.

Predictions:

-Williams' source music was rejected.

-"Hamilton" type bluesy piano will make an appearance.

-"Alias" type garage band laptop beatz will make an appearance.

-Ben Burtt will write random non Huttese words to have Disney contract actors speak for ambience.

-Song ends with a busboy dropping their tray.

If we get the same 75 minute OST program Williams assembled, and just now with a source song after the end credits, I don't care.

I'm sure a score track wasn't removed to make room for this thing.

Anyone remember the Rage Within Us All from STID? *shudders*

I believe the song was different for each country? So not everyone remembers the same song ;)

Anyone remember the Rage Within Us All from STID? *shudders*

Well wasn't the song different for each country?

It was what? That's the one that's on Spotify for me and that's all I've heard. Well, I've heard about 30 second of it. That's as far as I got.

I still think the tracklist was real. It has Williams' fingerprints on it. It doesn't strike me as something someone would have just made up. If it was, they did a good job. They threw in various Williamsisms, but not to the point where it was like obviously faked. An exclamation point track, a track title previously only used in Always (which is pretty obscure), a "Confession" track (Monsignor and Presumed Innocent, more obscure JW scores), a "March of the Resistance" as opposed to the expected "First Order March", references to things no one understands, which make it seem genuine as a result.

If we get the same 75 minute OST program Williams assembled, and just now with a source song after the end credits, I don't care.

I'm sure a score track wasn't removed to make room for this thing.

I agree. The track is gonna be no more than 2 or 3 mins maximum, especially if the record company is likely gonna push it as a radio single or something like that.

I still think the tracklist was real. It has Williams' fingerprints on it. It doesn't strike me as something someone would have just made up. If it was, they did a good job. They threw in various Williamsisms, but not to the point where it was like obviously faked. An exclamation point track, a track title previously only used in Always (which is pretty obscure), a "Confession" track (Monsignor and Presumed Innocent, more obscure JW scores), a "March of the Resistance" as opposed to the expected "First Order March", references to things no one understands, which make it seem genuine as a result.

It could be WIlliams' cue names.

But those usually are not the OST names.

One source music track (as far as we know) written by JJ and Lin-Manuel. I'm thrilled - Lin has the EGT in EGOT, Pulizer Prize finalist, MacArthur Genius grant and songs for the upcoming Disney film Moana.

Sure it's not another Williams track, but it's not Jedi Rocks or The Force Awakens: DJ Tiesto Remix!

It's odd for JW to actually refuse doing source music, isn't it? Guess he really wanted to make the score itself as perfect as he could.

It seems that he really made a great effort in writing the score, as this is not the only fact that suggests it.

http://www.ew.com/article/2015/12/01/hamilton-meets-star-wars-muppets

Abrams talks about the music and filming the sequence.

Full sequence leaked

Oh, I love Bea Arthur here, she raises the level of this "special" in a way none of the original Star Wars cast could.

It's odd for JW to actually refuse doing source music, isn't it? Guess he really wanted to make the score itself as perfect as he could.

Not really that strange, on TPM he delivered the source music work to his son, as well as in AI. And I'm sure there are other examples.

All things considered i find it much more outrageous that in this day and age they record probably 100 hours of music but still only release this strict 70-minute program. Every lame action score gets a 100+ deluxe edition nowadays but freakin STAR WARS! chooses to stay in the 90's.

^ Exactly this.

I'm sure Disney will release an expanded version in the near future. It is just better for them to be able to sell us the soundtrack for this movie twice.

Hopefully, they can include it in a complete expanded release of the seven scores.

I'm sure Disney will release an expanded version in the near future. It is just better for them to be able to sell us the soundtrack for this movie twice.

Hopefully, they can include it in a complete expanded release of the seven scores.

Only when Sony's license to the SW scores ends.

Only when Sony's license to the SW scores ends.

When will this be? In 2019?

Unknown, either 2017 or 2019. Jason tried to get the answer out of Matessino (he'd know, given his connections) but he wasn't allowed to say.

If we're lucky they can still work on the expanded releases in the interim; they just can't release anything until the rights revert back to Lucasfilm/Disney Records.

Well, it won't be a very long waiting, since we will be having a new Star Wars score per year up to that moment. Plenty of material to talk about, really.

Thanks for your replies!

Well, it won't be a very long waiting, since we will be having a new Star Wars score per year up to that moment. Plenty of material to talk about, really.

By then, we won't care about the Prequels complete score anymore! All we'll want are the complete scores of Episode VII and Episode VIII!

True enough!

Although I'm under the impression, with this Disney people, that we could start getting far more than we wish in a not so distant future. I went to the supermarket the other day, and never in my life I had seen so much Star Wars merchandising in every section. Only Darth Vader-shaped watermelons weren'there (yet!).

Disney will try to make the most out of the franchise, and I don't see the scores being an exception. I hope this is the case!

I also hope its after the End Credits and not in the middle of the score program.

There's a good possibility of that:

The bar source music Abrams and others wrote was track #15/15 on the Star Trek: Into Darkness score: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Star_Trek_Into_Darkness_(soundtrack)#Track_listing