Kylo Ren has a theme in The Force Awakens score

Not Mr. Big

http://www.reuters.com/article/us-film-starwars-secrecy-idUSKBN0TQ1I020151207#BCbpjLy3KWiIBg3q.9%209#BPeyTrv78EzGCTKT.97

Kylo Ren has his own theme song! I'm guessing that Lin-Manuel wrote the lyrics.

Adam Driver claimed he could not remember if his character, the Darth Vader-like Kylo Ren, had his own theme song. (Director J.J. Abrams later confirmed he did.)

Well, if Adam Driver cannot remember if his character has a song, then it means he doesn't sing it in musical theatre style.

It may still be sung by his stormtroopers while he is out of the scene, though.

I guess this confirms that Williams doesn't simply use Imperial March for Ren?

I remember an interview when Williams said that they were working mainly with new themes, and up to that moment, they hadn't used any of the existing themes.

I still think the score will be almost completely brand new music, and all those words about "new themes that co-exists with the old ones" are just referring to the main title, the beggining of the credits, and possibly the Force Theme and pianissimo Imperial March in a couple of scenes.

I agree that other than the Force theme, and I suppose Han's theme, nothing from the OT or PT will be used in the score for more than cameo type things, probably. Except of course the familiar main and end titles.

I hope the lyrics are memorable in a Linkin Park sort of way. Their music for those great Transformers movies is always a highlight.

<i>Kylo Ren, Kylo Ren!

He's our eee-vil leader,

Kylo Ren, Evil Ren,

His name certainly ain't Peter!</i>

I'm very confident this musical sequence takes place during the sequence with the First Order army on the snow planet.

Yea, but will Leia's Theme play more than once or twice? I'm thinking Han's Theme will, for sure, and the Force Theme too. But what else will be used regularly throughout the score? Probably not much from old themes.

Didn't you make a post once cataloguing the potential likelihood of various references?

Anyway, in the actual underscore, I expect there will be full statements of Luke's theme (besides main title/credits), the Force theme, and Han Solo and the Princess. Leia's theme could go either way, either worked into a whole scene or just a fleeting moment, but I think it'll be there. Vader's theme I'm not expecting to get any big moment at all, other than a muted reference for the burnt helmet and other small quotes if he's mentioned elsewhere.

The rest is kind of up in the air, I can't think of a lot that they could allude to. I don't think we're getting Duel of the Fates or anything (as much as the fanboys are dying for it.) The Rebel fanfare could make an appearance outside of the end credits. Same with Luke/Leia if they appear onscreen together at all or if there's an extended moment where she talks about him. For all we know the fanfare in Asteroid Field could show up.

There's that, yeah, but I think it was an actual post.

Oh here it is: http://www.jwfan.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=25318&p=1123302

For SURE will be in the new film:

-Luke's Theme (for the Main Title at a minimum, probably also for when Luke shows up)

-The Force Theme

PROBABLY will be in the new film

-Leia's Theme (for when she shows up)

-Han Solo and the Princess (for when he shows up)

-Luke and Leia (if they have a scene together, or for some dialogue about them or the Skywalker family)

-The Imperial March (probably only a quiet setting for the scenes with his mask - I hope it isn't used as a theme for the First Order)

COULD be in the new film

-Rebel Fanfare (hopefully some kind of cameo, don't want it to be the theme for The Resistance)

-Droid Motif (I doubt JW remembers writing it, or that JJ would ask for it)

-Yoda's Theme (if he's referenced in some way... probably not needed)

-Victory Fanfare (from Return of the Jedi... unlikely)

-Duel of the Fates (just because its so iconic... but I hope it isn't used, as much as I love it.)

I just cannot imagine will be in the new film

-Ewok theme

-Cloud City motif

-Anakin's Theme

-Trade Federation March

-Separatist's motif

-Battle of the Heroes

Anything you'd update there, Jay? I think I would still agree with all this other than obviously you didn't hit literally everything (what do we think about the likelihood of the Emperor's theme showing up?)

I'd add that I think Luke's theme will get at least a couple general action/heroic statements in the underscore like always.

Well, they did reject his trailer music (according to some guy who was probably truthful since any references were deleted from the inernet) and use that RCP-sounding dreck instead. Plus, they keep screwing with all the classic rides at Disneyland and they ruined EPCOT. I don't trust Disney anymore.

Well, they did reject his trailer music (according to some guy who was probably truthful since any references were deleted from the inernet) and use that RCP-sounding dreck instead.

The guy was talking about the Erskine teaser:

This is the teaser John wrote two options for.

Well, they did reject his trailer music (according to some guy who was probably truthful since any references were deleted from the inernet) and use that RCP-sounding dreck instead. Plus, they keep screwing with all the classic rides at Disneyland and they ruined EPCOT. I don't trust Disney anymore.

At the same time the claim is that Abrams "didn't have to direct John Williams at all" and just let him "do his thing". So I guess we'll see if that all went to hell or not, either via Disney's mandates, Abrams' panic, or Williams' senility.

Since Ren seems to be a Vader worshipper and not a Palpatine worshipper, maybe The Emperor's Theme won't be used at all.

At the same time the claim is that Abrams "didn't have to direct John Williams at all" and just let him "do his thing". So I guess we'll see if that all went to hell or not, either via Disney's mandates, Abrams' panic, or Williams' senility.

I can't wait until the film comes out and all of these silly rumors are put to rest.

It's going to be interesting to see the public reaction to the score, especially from young people who are so crazy about the trailer music. Is everyone going to completely lose their minds when they're reminded what real Star Wars music sounds like?

I seriously don't want to piss on anyone's parade, but people expecting Williams to recapture the glory days of 35 years ago, in this age, AT his age, are seriously going to be disappointed. At most, this will be on the level of Revenge of the Sith.

I seriously don't want to piss on anyone's parade, but people expecting Williams to recapture the glory days of 35 years ago, in this age, AT his age, are seriously going to be disappointed. At most, this will be on the level of Revenge of the Sith.

Revenge of the Sith was great!

http://www.reuters.com/article/us-film-starwars-secrecy-idUSKBN0TQ1I020151207#BCbpjLy3KWiIBg3q.9%209#BPeyTrv78EzGCTKT.97

Kylo Ren has his own theme song! I'm guessing that Lin-Manuel wrote the lyrics.

Adam Driver claimed he could not remember if his character, the Darth Vader-like Kylo Ren, had his own theme song. (Director J.J. Abrams later confirmed he did.)

Perhaps Ren's theme and that of the First Order in general will be the same, similar to how the Imperial March was Vader's theme and also often used for the Empire in general. We already know from the Making Star Wars report that there is a march for the First Order in the film, and it seems far-fetched to think that when Ren is shown he will get his own unique theme, while every First Order scene without him will have the march.

Are any of us really thinking about 35 years ago? I mean, speaking for myself, The Phantom Menace is the earliest I'm thinking back to in terms of what I expect and hope out of this score. If this can even partly approach the best of what he's given us this century, I'll be ecstatic.

Star Wars is great. Revenge of the Sith is pretty good.

Revenge of the Sith is great. Star Wars is pretty good

There's a way to be contrarian and not be ludicrous. This is not one of those ways.

Star Wars is great. Revenge of the Sith is pretty good.

Revenge of the Sith is great. Star Wars is pretty good

There's a way to be contrarian and not be ludicrous. This is not one of those ways.

I'm not saying it purely for the sake of being a contrarian. I believe that ANH was before Williams truely found his footing.

I'm sorry, I mean no offence, but if Williams has written 10 seperate themes for the new film, there will be 10 seperate threads here? :lol:

I suppose a general theme discussion thread might be more efficient...