Kylo Ren has a theme in The Force Awakens score

Not Mr. Big

Star Wars is great. Revenge of the Sith is pretty good.

Revenge of the Sith is great. Star Wars is pretty good

There's a way to be contrarian and not be ludicrous. This is not one of those ways.

I'm not saying it purely for the sake of being a contrarian. I believe that ANH was before Williams truely found his footing.

More like before he was allowed to, but yeah, it's quite derivative however good it is.

I seriously don't want to piss on anyone's parade, but people expecting Williams to recapture the glory days of 35 years ago, in this age, AT his age, are seriously going to be disappointed. At most, this will be on the level of Revenge of the Sith.

Are any of us really thinking about 35 years ago? I mean, speaking for myself, The Phantom Menace is the earliest I'm thinking back to in terms of what I expect and hope out of this score. If this can even partly approach the best of what he's given us this century, I'll be ecstatic.

I doubt ggkver even read any of the posts on this thread. This is probably the first time he's pulled his head out his hobbithole.

I seriously don't want to piss on anyone's parade, but people expecting Williams to recapture the glory days of 35 years ago, in this age, AT his age, are seriously going to be disappointed. At most, this will be on the level of Revenge of the Sith.

Are any of us really thinking about 35 years ago? I mean, speaking for myself, The Phantom Menace is the earliest I'm thinking back to in terms of what I expect and hope out of this score. If this can even partly approach the best of what he's given us this century, I'll be ecstatic.

I doubt ggkver even read any of the posts on this thread.

who?

I doubt ggkver even read any of the posts on this thread.

who?

gkggygver

In the end, it all depends on the film and how it's constructed in narrative and dramatic terms. From what it seems, the main drive of the film will be the new characters (Rey, Finn, Kylo), hence it's more than likely Williams built the score around the themes for them. Of course there will be reprises of previous themes in specific places and when the story is requiring them (Vader, Leia, Han&Leia love theme) and I wouldn't be surprised if there will also be cameos of specific passages from the original trilogy, especially if the movie is pushing literal remarks of sequences and situations from the previous films. I guess Luke's theme and the Force theme will likely play a significant role nonetheless, but the score will be mostly about the new themes for the new main characters. Since they are fairly young and seems to be quite dashing in nature, I think this will be reflected in the score, so I expect quite a lot of youthful and vibrant kind of writing all along the score, not unlike The Phantom Menace or Harry Potter.

Quite ironically, the distance of years between Return of the Jedi and The Phantom Menace is exactly the same as the distance between The Phantom Menace and The Force Awakens (16 years). Take this for what is worth, of course.

I think my main references/expectations here are Tintin and War Horse, in terms of what Williams can do/may be interested in doing these days. The music in the first teaser trailer comes to mind. And the theme in the TV stop reminded me of Tintin too.

Modern Williams is more than okay with me :P

I'm sorry, I mean no offence, but if Williams has written 10 seperate themes for the new film, there will be 10 seperate threads here? :lol:

Yes, that's more interesting question.

Instead of asking ourselves "Which new characters will get a theme in TFA?", which should ask ourselves "Which of the new themes from TFA will get their own thread?"

I hope he channels the Emperor's Theme for Snoke. He hasn't had the chance to write a really great new baddie theme/motif in years. The Trade Federation does not count!

I guess the tripod motif from WOTW would be it?

Most people, even actors, do not notice musical themes when watching a film, especially the first time.

There's absoluely nothing to read into about Driver not knowing if his character had a theme or not.

Yeah, I imagine he'd be much more focused on what takes JJ used for his performances and how he comes across on camera. Actors are like that.

Certainly the last thing on their mind would be some musical tune the composer wrote for them.

Nah, SUH, it's not like that. We're film score fans. We're built to notice these things. The general populice is not.

Nah, SUH, it's not like that. We're film score fans. We're built to notice these things. The general populice is not.

I have had this conversation with general populace members more than once:

Scarpia: I find the score for The Empire Strikes Back particularly interesting.

Human: How so? Isn't the same music used in all Star Wars films?

This also happens with the Indiana Jones films.

I have had this conversation with general populace members more than once:

Scarpia: I find the score for The Empire Strikes Back particularly interesting.

Human: How so? Isn't the same music used in all Star Wars films?

This also happens with the Indiana Jones films.

JOHN WILLIAMS MUSIC IS SO BAD BRUH, ITS' ;LIKE THE SAME THEME SONG PLAYUED ON TRUMPETS OVER AND OVER.

"I'm tired of William's flat trumpet blaring in my ears." - Actual quote

That one might have actually been me, in my darker days...

Ehhh, nevermind. I never got that bad despite my previous liking of Kiner's The Clone Wars.

I have next to no respect for or interest in people who are ignorant about film music. Unless they have some other exceptional redeeming quality, I don't have time for them.

One of the greatest things I've ever done in my life is drink and smoke and talk about John Williams with a girl until 2 in the morning at Disneyland. Now if I could just find some Trekkies.

One of the greatest things I've ever done in my life is drink and smoke and talk about John Williams with a girl until 2 in the morning at Disneyland. Now if I could just find some Trekkies.

Should have kept in touch. Then shagged.

It'll be an innovative and menacing 500 note theme.

I would like that. I would like that very much.

No BloodBoal. Too few have been the notes with which the modern film composer generation is trying to woo us into the fantastical realm of cinema. Too few are the sonorous tones that they employ to catch the elusive musical equivalent of the story and its myriad multifaceted subtexts. Only through 500 notes or more can one truly ever hope to achieve such intricate thoughtful greatness. No more no less. There have ever been scarce few who possess such a gift and there are still few who can. John Williams is one of them and that is an encouraging thought.

It's going to be interesting to see the public reaction to the score, especially from young people who are so crazy about the trailer music. Is everyone going to completely lose their minds when they're reminded what real Star Wars music sounds like?

In my experience, young people are pretty damn good at recognizing high quality music, even if it is not what they would load on their iPods.

The problem is, some people at JWFan have the impression that orchestral = good music, when in fact there has been a tremendous amount of orchestral music written through the decades that is of no more consequence and value to the world than generic trailer music.

Was this you?

http://www.filmtracks.com/comments/titles/clone_wars/index.cgi?read=20

Was this you?

http://www.filmtracks.com/comments/titles/clone_wars/index.cgi?read=20

Part of it sounds like something I would have written in the dark days, but I don't think I would have ever gone that far...