The BFG Teaser Trailer - Not by Williams (confirmed)

Ricard

The BFG Teaser Trailer: Music by John Williams?  

36 members have voted

1. 1. Is the music in the teaser trailer for The BFG by John Williams?

• YES, it's composed and recorded by John Williams
    • It's a "trailerized"/re-arranged version of an original John Williams theme
    • Definitely NOT John Williams
    • I've no idea! :(

My thoughts:

- Some here have called the melody that is repeated throughout the teaser "generic." Perhaps, but I still think it could plausibly be a Williams theme. However...

- The orchestrations, at least for the most part, sound nothing like Williams. Modern trailer music house stuff has a certain style (some would call it "epic") and there are several spots where you can clearly hear this style. The maestro just does not write this way. So this is certainly not Williams music un-tampered with.

- In summary, the teaser's music is definitely not composed and recorded by Williams without significant changes, but it could, I suppose, be composed by a trailer music house based off of a Williams theme. I personally think Williams had no involvement whatsoever in this teaser music -- I was hoping that we would get something similar to Hook or Harry Potter, but unfortunately Disney seems to have gone a different direction.

- Several years ago we had an interesting situation where Williams had already recorded a lot of music for Tintin (back in February 2010) and yet the music heard in the Tintin teaser (released in May 2011) did not have any involvement from Williams. But when a new trailer was released in July 2011 it included a short snippet of Williams' score, and future trailers included even more. Spielberg's film's final trailers tend to feature Williams music (if the scoring sessions have already taken place) and hopefully the same will be true for The BFG. Until then, though -- if the BFG teaser did indeed not have Williams music -- it looks like we'll be waiting at least a few more months to hear the premiere of Williams' score. That moment can't come soon enough. Although we will have TFA to keep us occupied for a while :) .

Quite a lengthy post to simply say "The music in this teaser could possibly by Williams, but is most likely not"!

True, I did ramble a bit :). Just wanted to get all my thoughts out there.

I think the theme could be a very early sketch from Williams (or a reasonable impersonation) but that's about it.

Since when has John Williams given such pre-mature sketches of thematic ideas for others to work on? Considering how much he likes to dabble over the piano before he's satisfied with a tune, and how insecure he can be about his work in the early stages, I seriously doubt that he'd hand out sketches like that. It's not really his way.

I thought Williams doesn't work on more than one score at a time? He may have been too busy with TFA when they put together this teaser. He may has started writing now that TFA is done.

This isn't a Williams theme. Melodically, harmonically and structurally, it's all very foreign to his style. The first half of the theme (first eight notes) is quite distinctive, though, albeit a bit bland and generic. The rest is unmemorable.

I knew John Williams had nothing to do with it and that it was likely done by a random trailer house

So no random composer we've never heard of, or trailer house, is taking credit for the music on Twitter yet?

I've never heard of this "Confidential Music" before just now

I knew John Williams had nothing to do with it and that it was likely done by a random trailer house

So no random composer we've never heard of, or trailer house, is taking credit for the music on Twitter yet?

I've never heard of this "Confidential Music" before just now

They list The Force Awakens trailer among their credits.

How wonderful to think there's now a trailer music company specifically emulating Maestro Williams. They undoubtedly have complete recording sessions of his Star Wars scores for all staff to listen to, but nobody cares.

They're all too busy analysing the complexities of Zimmer's Inception BWWWOOOOO-AAAAMMMMMMM!

The poll was a response to this:

http://www.jwfan.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=25153&p=1197511

I even got emails saying they believed it was Williams.

I listen to Williams since more than 30 years. I learned to know his style and language inside out. I trust my ears a lot. When I watched this teaser I was sure since the first few seconds this wasn't anything composed by Williams. On the other side, I knew almost immediately that the G Minor motif appearing in the TFA TV spot a few weeks ago was something very likely written by JW.

Glad I still trust my ears :)