Williams conducting Force Awakens cues shown on 60 Minutes (UPDATE: Second Video now online)

Lewya

The CBS show 60 Minutes is doing a story about Star Wars this Sunday. Here's the preview video which contains footage of John Williams conducting:

http://www.cbsnews.com/videos/preview-the-new-force-behind-star-wars/

It's being discussed here:

http://www.jwfan.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=25851

Yeah, it sounds great! Sounds like it will be as least as great as the best prequel score based on this little bit. Of course that is silly because it is so little but it is the vibe I am getting.

Can someone download the video and put it on YouTube by the way?

I'm sure it won't please those stuck in the past but it sounds like a whopper of an action cue.

I think the tempo is a little slow for an action cue...sounds more like a "preparing for battle" type cue to me.

Not to split hairs ;)

I'm sure it won't please those stuck in the past but it sounds like a whopper of an action cue.

I think the tempo is a little slow for an action cue...sounds more like a "preparing for battle" type cue to me.

Not to split hairs ;)

"Setting the Trap"?

:w00t::w00t::w00t: Can't wait to hear this in stereo!

I thought William Ross was conducting

From my understanding, he conducted some of it. Nobody knows how much, yet. Williams apparently isn't having any trouble conducting here. Great to see that.

Where are gggyver, thegreyshit, BB8 and publishit bashing this video? They are getting old

TGP doesn't always bash things and I'm not sure who bb8 is

I'm expecting a "You are all pathetic" comment from Publicist any minute though.

Wow,Williams looks great!

Such a tiny bit of music really doesn't tell me anything about a score

So, its great to see Williams looking so good, and great to see a director so fanatic about his music. This is great!

Not to split hairs ;)

"Setting the Trap"?

I think somebody needs to make a Home Alone/Ackbar mashup.

I could see that going a lot of ways. Maybe it's the beginning of a theme, or just a recurring action motif for one sequence.

I have to admit I was slightly disappointed when Luke's theme kicked in for the first cue because I thought it was gonna be the new Resistance march :P

I really like that second cue with the low strings, reminds me a lot of Vader's first theme from ANH and subsequent music from the Deathstar. Sounds very Empire and flavors of the OT.

Can't not talk about the first (action?) cue though, really nice rendition of Luke's Theme/Main Star Wars Theme that even begins to sound a bit menacing at some point.

Then the third cue, which could be a part of the second cue sounds a lot like JW's Harry Potter work which is fantastic, I like that magical sort of whimsical sound that it has. Could be a celeste playing, John Williams certainly loves those.

From The Jedi Council Boards...

I still prefer all of the "modern" arrangements heard during all of the trailers to any of the confirmed Williams snippets. His stuff just doesn't have the density of sound I've come to prefer over the years. The music in the most recent Chinese trailer was especially top notch. It didn't really sound like Williams tho :(