Williams conducting Force Awakens cues shown on 60 Minutes (UPDATE: Second Video now online)

Lewya

Why does it say I can't view it in my country (Canada) .This is the first time I encounter region restriction with YouTube

(the original CBS video does work for me though)

Omg!

Short video of Williams conducting a bit of the new Star Wars score here! - http://deadline.com/2015/12/star-wars-jj-abrams-steven-spielberg-recommended-1201664881/

Six weeks before the premiere, 60 Minutes watched as Abrams raced around a Hollywood soundstage, phone in hand, recording video mementos of composer John Williams at work on the movies score. Abrams grew up listening to recordings of Williams iconic movie scores, so he wanted to capture the composer in action. This is like, momentousas a fan, I cant even believe I got to be here, says Abrams, who was 11 when he first sat mesmerized in a theater watching the original Star Wars.

Hmm, all I see in the video is a bunch of clips of John Williams conducting music with an orchestra. How do we know it's really him? Has anybody confirmed this on Twitter?

Incredible!

I love the way he plays with Luke's theme. At one point it's heroic, at another point it's menacing...it's just great!

Ditto. Reminds a bit of the variation of the Raiders March Theme in KOTCS associated with Mutt. One of the things I really like in that Score.

I'm just surprised they left the projector off and JJ had to tell Williams about a musical extension. Is this for secrecy purposes or is JJ editing the film to the music?

Yes, and it's common for high-profile projects. They did the same on kotcs. There's a small monitor for JW and JJ only. Most other movies don't have the amount of hype and legacy. Disney is protecting their property.

I'm just surprised they left the projector off and JJ had to tell Williams about a musical extension. Is this for secrecy purposes or is JJ editing the film to the music?

Yes, and it's common for high-profile projects. They did the same on kotcs. There's a small monitor for JW and JJ only. Most other movies don't have the amount of hype and legacy. Disney is protecting their property.

There is no film. It's all a Disney conspiracy to get Williams to write another Star Wars score. Come on...Kylo Ren, Han Solo, Snoke... it's like they're making it up.

Fuck. Wish I'd seen this before I left for school!

Latin exam today. Fatum me appropinquat!

Ita vero! Bonam fortunam tibi exopto!

"Let me just think... hmm... yeah! It's INCREDIBLE!"

Williams goes for a walk around the parking lot, moved and returns in the studio and says:

"You know J.J. baby, you need a better dressed composer for this."

J.J. baby: "I know, but they are all dead."

Gratias tibi ago, Incane! It went well.

So the rumors were true: we'll only be getting a black screen with John Williams' music playing in the background. And the title "The Force Awakens" is actually referring to Johnny (who is the Force personified)! Brilliant!

The runtime is 178 minutes of blackness.

Nerd texts from last night

ipHpDc4.png

Given he's directing Star Wars The Force Awakens, I'd say he's pretty deserving...

Don't let position predicate deserving. After all, we can all name people in positions of influence who didn't quite deserve it.

OMG!

Awesome! This better be on the album (I assume it's the Sherzo, then).

At 0:41 - same rythmic figure as the theme of his Sherzo for Piano and Orchestra.

OMG!

Awesome! This better be on the album (I assume it's the Sherzo, then).

At 0:41 - same rythmic figure as the theme of his Sherzo for Piano and Orchestra.

That's what I was thinking. Since I expect Luke to be in less of the film (though, I don't really know,) his theme there is probably associated with a nostalgic X-Wing moment.

Yeah. I'm glad he's fit enough to conduct and take charge of rehearsals, but I thought his age showed quite a bit in that clip.

I thought he looked good. The only thing I thought was conspicuous was that he was not interviewed at all in the clip, but maybe he will be in the larger piece this clip is a part of (if it is part of a larger piece?)

Awesome! This better be on the album

Not a chance. Don't get too used to this cue tease, because after it is replaced with an alternate, this news clip will become the only recorded evidence it ever existed. What you're listening to today will be KM's holy grail cue for the next decade.

I've also watched it three times.

To me, Johnny Dubs comes off as calm cool and collected, and JJ is a nervous wreck.

John T. is a seasoned professional, an icon of his trade, a legend and a consummate master and JJ baby is geeking out for all his worth.

But he is no different from Spielberg in that he has to film those sessions. :)

He looked enthusiastic, dedicated, charmed and shy to me. As always.

I agree with you. He always seems this way in "work" mode and most of what we see of these sessions is from an edited DVD featurette rather than news program showing up during the session. JJ is a kid in a candy shop but JW looks great.