Williams conducting Force Awakens cues shown on 60 Minutes (UPDATE: Second Video now online)

Lewya

LOL. Did anyone notice JW's face after the horn clams a note at 0:24?

That's about as non-facial expression as a conductor's facial expression gets.

View this range of enthusiasm:

I think Rattle's enthusiasm is most akin to Williams':

BQrATZb.gif

Is the kid in the background at 0:25 seriously wearing earphones? :angry:

As long as he isn't playing any other music...that would be BLASPHEMY!!!

He's listening to Empire Strikes Back.

Ouch!

Possible Music & Video from The Force Awakens (combined Comic-Con Reel & 60 Minutes Clip)

I noticed something when listening to Abrams sing the melody to Williams. See the video I posted here: [removed]

I wrote this out in the YouTube description, but pasted it below for discussion:

CBS Evening News just uploaded a segment on Star Wars: The Force Awakens (https://youtu.be/lxzUEl0loU8?t=1m at about 1:00) in which a new transitional theme is played by the orchestra under the direction of John Williams.

Later in that same video (at 1:35), J.J. Abrams makes a note about a cue he hums, which sounds very similar to the music we saw at 1:00. (Though he sings it in the same key, it seems Abrams leaves out two eighth notes).
Abrams' notes on the cue seem to indicate the passage will be associated with "the interior of the transport." One possible shot that lines up with this has already been shared during Comic-Con, with the Star Wars: The Force Awakens - Comic-Con 2015 Reel (https://youtu.be/CTNJ51ghzdY?t=50s at :50).
The chances of this lining up in the actual film are slim, but the style and the timing seem to line up. It's nearly impossible to tell, and it could be completely wrong, but it's fun to guess!
Edit: Well, I received a takedown notice so the video is no longer available.

Latin exam today. Fatum me appropinquat!

Michael, shouldn't the verb appropinquare be followed by the dative case?

Just saying, like.

:unsure:

Cracking footage of Johnny T there, by the way!

I wasn't 100% sure when writing the comment, but I assume it's to be followed by the accusative case as appropinquare is constructed with ad (usually followed by an accusative) and propinquare.

Incáne, adiuva me!

Latin exam today. Fatum me appropinquat!

Michael, shouldn't the verb appropinquare be followed by the dative case?

Just saying, like.

:unsure:

Cracking footage of Johnny T there, by the way!

I wasn't 100% sure when writing the comment, but I assume it's to be followed by the accusative case as appropinquare is constructed with ad (usually followed by an accusative) and propinquare.

Incáne, adiuva me!

Dative my boy! Dative! Fatum mihi appropinquat.

I missed that. Sharp eyes Omen Secudum.

And on the thread at hand I join the people who said Johnny looks really fit and well in the video in his purple turtleneck. :)

I've also watched it three times.

To me, Johnny Dubs comes off as calm cool and collected, and JJ is a nervous wreck.

Even reading quotes from JJ comes across that way. It's fatiguing. Dude needs to switch to decaf for awhile.

Damn half-witted, illogical Romans! Ah well, luckily we're only required to clarify correct use of grammar.

Notice how I correct you on a minor grammatical error in a dead language but cannot even get your name right, Michael Alexander.

:lol:

I assumed JWFan's resident Michael to be an apparent expert in the field ;).

I really like that second cue with the low strings, reminds me a lot of Vader's first theme from ANH and subsequent music from the Deathstar. Sounds very Empire and flavors of the OT.

Can't not talk about the first (action?) cue though, really nice rendition of Luke's Theme/Main Star Wars Theme that even begins to sound a bit menacing at some point.

Then the third cue, which could be a part of the second cue sounds a lot like JW's Harry Potter work which is fantastic, I like that magical sort of whimsical sound that it has. Could be a celeste playing, John Williams certainly loves those.

The opening of the first cue reminds me of Hook.

Couple of points:

Be interesting to see if they add atrocious amounts of artificial reverb like in Tintin... why didn't he score it at Fox or some other stage with a more live sound?

Even Fox is too dry I think ( avatar) but are I guess there are no other stages..

I think it's unrealistic to expect a radical change of style but if it sounds anything like the ESB or ROTS it's going to be good.. dark and moody...

And what was the eerie pulsing chord pattern just when the video cut to JJ Abrahms.. it sounds like they might be using a continuum fingerboard which was used in KOTS. https://www.ece.illinois.edu/newsroom/article/275

How can we watch this by the way? Do I have to subscribe to be able to view it at 7 pm PT? Will it be up there instantly? Does anyone here know?

CBS always posts the full episodes of 60 Minutes on its website. But I'm not sure how long after it airs on TV that they post it.

http://www.cbsnews.com/videos/how-the-new-star-wars-begins

Oh my days, the music sounds so magical. There's a lot more snippets of the score including a BEAUTIFUL rendition of the Force theme, I seriously had tears in my eyes when it started playing because its so well-stated.

The music preceding the title crawl sounds very Star Wars and more like the OT as I said about the other tracks, its quite ominous so there's no musical spoilers there to what it entails.

Star Wars is back, baby.

http://www.cbsnews.com/videos/how-the-new-star-wars-begins

Oh my days, the music sounds so magical. There's a lot more snippets of the score including a BEAUTIFUL rendition of the Force theme, I seriously had tears in my eyes when it started playing because its so well-stated.

The music preceding the title crawl sounds very Star Wars and more like the OT as I said about the other tracks, its quite ominous so there's no musical spoilers there to what it entails.

Star Wars is back, baby.

zephr.jpg

My God.