TOTAL RECALL by Jerry Goldsmith - new 2CD Complete from Quartet Records

Jay

Actually I agree with Inky.

Big surprise there.

And please, if it is your turn now to lecture people on when their opinion is 'desirable', excuse me, 'solicited' then i this board has bigger issues to worry about than my very-occasional snide remarks. Dear lord... :shakehead:

The name is James, actually. But I do enjoy the 'dear' part. Why ARE you snide? Is it difficult to be pleasant? These little lashings aren't worth the effort. Now come, let me get you something.

I don't know you nor do i remember interacting with you. But for the record: please line up all my posts of the last 6 months and do a little math, i would be very much surprised to find this petty 'criticism' about this abundance of snides and lashings validated at all - what is very obvious, though, is that certain members get very touchy if ANY criticism, snide or not, is uttered in regard to certain topics and love to blow that out of proportion.

Which is very FSM-worthy. But if that instills peace at JWFan, i will never again post in any thread regarding expanded releases that contradicts majority opinion on the subject.

Nothing on the Cantina paraphrase? I rather liked that. Anyway. You're a smart fellow, methinks. I don't believe anyone is objecting to your opinions, however much they may disagree with them on occasion. But it's like this-- like the great Rose McGowan said: 'There's a difference between being Frank and being Dick.' Something to that effect. You see, there is a time and place for Dick. In the right context, Dick can be wonderful. Right? But around here, out of the two choices, Frank seems to be the preferred customer. His truth can pierce, just like Dick. But he's not as jagged. Know what I mean?

Thanks. Do you, by any chance, possess a large share in a remote african silver mine that could help making me rich by putting 5,000$ in an offshore bank account?

I think you should go for it pubs, if he offers. It could be once in a lifetime chance for quick riches!

• 1 year later...

Oh, thanks!  I searched HDTracks.com but didn't see it there, so didn't bother to try 7digital or qobuz.  Updated my post!

• 2 years later...

Another Score Restore from FSM user The Mutant, check it out!

For some reason Verhoeven dialed out all the music after Quaid gets his hand on the big button thing, I have no idea why because Goldsmith's music works great here!

Who knows why any of these directors / filmmakers do these things. Poor Goldsmith seems to have been the one that this happened to quite frequently - including rejected cues, rejected scores and tracking of other music - yes, I'm talking to you Ridley Scott!

5 hours ago, Jay said:

Another Score Restore from FSM user The Mutant, check it out!

For some reason Verhoeven dialed out all the music after Quad gets his hand on the big button thing, I have no idea why because Goldsmith's music works great here!

:lol: Jay, that's "Quaid" :lol:

• 1 year later...
31 minutes ago, Jay said:

What? Why?

He didn't mention why? Could be because the UK blu ray label Zavvi is issuing a collectors edition 4K Box set with the 2CD set also. So artwork adjustments must be because of that. 

https://www.zavvi.com/blu-ray/total-recall-30th-anniversary-edition-4k-ultra-hd-collector-s-edition/12689884.html

Quartet Records release is perfect and the sound quality is amazing because Neil S Bulk

did such a fantastic job in producing this.

See my interview with him at JerryGoldsmithonline.com

http://jerrygoldsmithonline.com/spotlight_neilsbulk_interview.htm

Complete?  I dunno.

The 1996 laserdisc release of ET came with the 1996 expanded CD, and there was a version of the 2002 DVD that came with the 2002 expanded CD, though never of those expansions were complete, of course

The 2002 CD version of 10M2 E.T. Phones Home ("E.T. Is Alive") matched the film edit, which removed about 15 seconds or so; The 1982 OST CD ("E.T. Phone Home"), 1996 CD ("E.T. Is Alive!"), and LLL CD ("E.T. Is Alive") all feature the entire cue without the film edit

• 3 years later...

I don't know where to post this (perhaps it can be moved to a more relevant thread), but I've recently discovered that John Debney's Iron Man 2 theme (I Am Iron Man) is extremely similar to Goldsmith's Total Recall theme (and Goldsmith's 90s rhythmic style in general). I'm sure this has been discussed previously, but it was my first time noticing it. 

I never heard anyone bring up this connection before.  Listening, I can kind of hear it, but it's not really close ultimately.

And IIRC even where it would play, they did an insert or new take to remove it here and there, classic phase 1 score style.