John Williams / Tavis Smiley Interview on PBS Tuesday December 15th

Lewya

On 15th of December on PBS.

JWilliams_298x262.jpg

"The legendary film composer talks about his illustrious career, and writing the music for the highly anticipated Star Wars: The Force Awakens. John Williams has composed the music and been music director for more than 100 films. With an astonishing 49 Oscar nominations, he is the Academy's most nominated living person. The New York native attended UCLA, served in the Air Force and studied at the prestigious Juilliard School of Music. Before earning the title of 'America's composer' by composing iconic films like Jaws, E.T., Superman, and Jurassic Park, he was a jazz pianist, wrote several classical concert pieces and conducted the Boston Pops Orchestra. He's also composed works for numerous big events, including the Olympics. He has the distinction of having composed the music for every single installment in the Star Wars franchise, including the latest, Star Wars: The Force Awakens."

- http://www.pbs.org/wnet/tavissmiley/interviews/composerconductor-john-williams/

On 15th of December on PBS.

JWilliams_298x262.jpg

"The legendary film composer talks about his illustrious career, and writing the music for the highly anticipated Star Wars: The Force Awakens. John Williams has composed the music and been music director for more than 100 films. With an astonishing 49 Oscar nominations, he is the Academy's most nominated living person. The New York native attended UCLA, served in the Air Force and studied at the prestigious Juilliard School of Music. Before earning the title of 'America's composer' by composing iconic films like Jaws, E.T., Superman, and Jurassic Park, he was a jazz pianist, wrote several classical concert pieces and conducted the Boston Pops Orchestra. He's also composed works for numerous big events, including the Olympics. He has the distinction of having composed the music for every single installment in the Star Wars franchise, including the latest, Star Wars: The Force Awakens."

- http://www.pbs.org/wnet/tavissmiley/interviews/composerconductor-john-williams/

We've been hearing so much about the score from Abrams and not much from Williams himself, but now with the Variety article and this we're finally getting to hear the maestro's thoughts on the TFA process! Should be an interesting interview, apparently it airs at 1 am where I live, though, so I'll probably have to settle for taping it and watching it the next day (also, according to the show's official site, interviews are typically up online within 24 hours, so those who can't see it on TV will have another way of watching it, it seems)

Is PBS a reputable channel? Is it a 'Late Show' sort of show? Looks like one there.

Nah, Tavis Smiley's just a standard interview show. Not like a variety/comedy late night hour with a studio audience or anything.

PBS is non-profit public TV. They air news/science/history programs, educational shows for kids e.g. Sesame Street, documentaries, Masterpiece Theatre, some BBC series. Great Performances which JW wrote the theme for is aired on there, that's a performing arts series. Stuff like that. It's respected and most of us Yanks say we watch it to sound smart. ;)

Abrams will be interviewed the night after Williams: http://www.pbs.org/wnet/tavissmiley/interviews/j-j-abrams-2/?show=26076

(Not a fan of Smiley's interviewing style. Can't put my finger on why. Just grates on me for some reason.)

Abrams will be interviewed the night after Williams: http://www.pbs.org/wnet/tavissmiley/interviews/j-j-abrams-2/?show=26076

(Not a fan of Smiley's interviewing style. Can't put my finger on why. Just grates on me for some reason.)

I've only seen one of his interviews: with Horner. I remember something about it annoying me.

I made the following up for comedic purposes, without knowing anything about the plot or potential spoilers for TFA, so read at your own risk...

"I've always had a fascination with trees and depicting them musically has always been an interest of mine. With

The Force Awakens, I had the unique opportunity to write a lament or requiem, if you will, for the opening scene in which the forest moon of Endor is annihilated by the remnants of the Empire. For the text, I chose Dr. Seuss' Green Eggs and Ham and asked some linguistic scholars to translate it into Sanskrit. The translation features a wonderful, guttural and primal tone to it, symbolizing the instantaneous combustion of the massive trees on the moon's forested surface. J.J. Baby and I initially discussed scoring the scene with a tragic variation of the "March of the Ewoks" from Return of the Jedi. But we came to our senses and wisely took this other direction, because, seriously, the loss of those magnificent trees was the real tragedy there."

I hope the interviewer will ask Williams about Episode VIII and if he plans to do it. I'm guessing they will only talk about TFA and the save all the Episode VIII publicity until next year.

I'm guessing they will only talk about TFA and the save all the Episode VIII publicity until next year.

I agree. They have put few efforts in promoting Rogue One, for example, because they know people will not be paying attention until The Force Awakens is released. After that, I'm sure they'll start selling the first Anthology movie as soon as they can.

though understandable at his age, it worries me that he seems to have lost so much weight

I'd be surprised if he hadn't lost a lot of weight after his heart surgery and the marathonian recording sessions, not to mention the back ailment. It's been quite a stressful year for the Maestro.

Oh, but your shoulders are equally as great, John, if not greater, than the shoulders you stand on. And none of your music will ever be forgotten, and certainly never rightfully so.

I'm sure he's already scored it!

Williams is rushing into things! He was not the kind of man to read scripts in advance.

But he is more machine now than man...

Oh, but your shoulders are equally as great, John, if not greater, than the shoulders you stand on. And none of your music will ever be forgotten, and certainly never rightfully so.

John Williams definitely belongs to the tradition of the great masters and there are some composers who are rightfully considered as "great" that have accomplished much less than him. When some historical detachment will allow it, he will enter the regular books of music history, hopefully along with several other film composers.