The Force Awakens SPOILERS ALLOWED Discussion Thread

Jay

You lost me at the "At least James Cameron understands how stories work" line.

(I originally edited out my rant but I'll reply to this.)

Cameron is many things but hes probably the best "recycler" in Hollywood. All of his movies are cribbed from previous films - Aliens is The Thing From Another World, The Terminator is from The Outer Limits, Terminator 2 is just the first movie writ large, True Lies is a remake, Titanic is a remake of several other films about the Titanic - but he at least understands how to make something original or, if not original, at least fresh. He also writes people pretty damn well and understands motivation.

Cameron also only cribs ideas, as opposed to Abrams who steals story ideas wholesale - Lost ripped off Peter Weir's Fearless (an existential airplane crash to Symphony Of Sorrowful Songs as the lead character questions morality), Alias is just a shitty La Femme Nikita / 007 show, Super 8 is Spielberg pastiche and he STILL couldn't do it right (the audience never feels any sympathy for the alien after he's *killed dozens of people*) - and now we have a Star Wars movie that remakes... Star Wars. I just can't get onboard with this Microwavable Hollywood bullshit, man.

We're being fed the EXACT same two or three stories in these big budget pictures and its like watching someone eat their own leg. Tired of it.

TFA still is a very good movie, just not original in any way.

Agreed and I completely agree with your longer review on the last page Stefan. :)

I really wish that instead of another, bigger Death Star they would have thought up something different. But that's my biggest gripe with the film I guess.

It's a pity that even with Kasdan back on board they they too scared to do something original.

The Force Awakens was basically Star Wars: Playing It Safe. Hopefully, Episode VIII will be Star Wars: Taking Some Risks!

This is what I hope too

I really wish that instead of another, bigger Death Star they would have thought up something different. But that's my biggest gripe with the film I guess.

It's a pity that even with Kasdan back on board they they too scared to do something original.

Yup. That is the only major thing I was miffed about. But I guess they wanted to play it really safe.

The Force Awakens was basically Star Wars: Playing It Safe. Hopefully, Episode VIII will be Star Wars: Taking Some Risks!

This is what I hope too

They set up a huge amount of things for possible sequels. Original SW never did that as they didn't know if it was going to bomb or make a bit of cash. This is a much more calculated planting of future story seeds.

I sense much hate in him...

Eh, I just get tired / frustrated with people drumming up how great something is when its just warmed over stuff from last year's turd buffet. Its why I stopped going to SA and other forums.

Its one thing to like a thing and acknowledge its flaws, its another thing to scream how amazing something is when it really isn't.

Its one thing to like a thing and acknowledge its flaws, its another thing to scream how amazing something is when it really isn't.

I can relate to that, but unfortunately, hyperbole is inevitable when it comes to a film from a franchise with a huge fanbase. Especially in this case, where the last three films were not well-received by the fans, so they want this film to be great. They want to love it. Honestly, I'm not surprised many people are calling it "the best Star Wars film eva!". It was bound to happen.

But hopefully, in time, people will come to their senses and start making a fairer assessment of the film's qualities and flaws.

Thats really all I ask for. Enjoyment and enthusiasm are wonderful but I just really bristle when I read internet hyperbole or come across fanaticism.

We don't. You can only know its her from the voice.

I hope they have plans for the character in the next film, because she's a complete non-entity here.

One character moment I really liked btw, which we would have never had in the Prequels.

Kylo Ren discovers Rey escaped and starts tearing up the cell in a rage, calling for troops.

Two Stormtroopers just happen to walk down the corridor and instead of going to Ren, they double back and walk the other way.

The boss is having a hissy fit.

But is he meeting his daughter?

Definitely. One of the most obvious directions of the film from the first few minutes. Curious to know who the mother is, though?