The Force Awakens SPOILERS ALLOWED Discussion Thread

Jay

Are there any shots in the old trailers that didn't make the final cut of the film?

Yeah, quite a few actually.

In the first teaser: 00:39-00:40, 00:49

In the second teaser: 00:52, 01:07 (I think), 01:21

In the trailer: 01:29, 01:43 (I think)

Plus there were a few more shots that appeared in TV spots that I noticed were missing in the film.

Wow, some of those are surprising!

That famous shot of Finn and Poe with the camera rotating around them really wasn't in the film?

Can you you two be disagreeing about a long and well-known shot?

A shot like that is either obviously in the film or obviously isn't, right?

Unless BB went to the bathroom when it happened?

TFA still is a very good movie, just not original in any way.

Agreed and I completely agree with your longer review on the last page Stefan. :)

And I agree too. I had a fun time at the movies, and got emotional reaction even to most of expected moments. And I could see many things coming (but that might be from reading some theories over the past few years).

I can nitpick and take it apart and point out stuff... but the truth is I don't want to. I did what it had to do, and did it well. :)

Karol

Just seen it. The first act was great. Very good introductions, and the humour and action was spot on. But the second act dragged for me. It didn't propel the story enough and the Yoda rip-off Maz didn't help. And the third act, well it was just A New Hope and Return of the Jedi AGAIN! Another deathstar, another x wing vs tie fighter battle and another blown up deathstar. Very uninspired. The first act gave me so much hope but they just blew it for me from then on. I enjoyed it, of course. I'm not an idiot, but it was disappointing in those respects that I mentioned.

Also absolutely not a fan in any way of Snoke. Another forgettable CGI villain that looked and sounded ridiculous in his giant hologram chamber.

Big positives - Rey was great. BB8 was fantastic. Ren was a decent villain. Practical effects were great.

Big negatives - Snoke sucked, Phasma sucked, Finn was kind of over the top in every scene, Poe didn't do much to like, Another bloody deathstar, another desert planet, another ice planet. Oh and the utter predictability of Han's death was painful and unnecessary. Also Leia did nothing.

Final and most shocking for me was no memorable new themes from Williams. Nice music here and there, but can't hum anything or remember anything new I heard. That is bad.

Hmm, and I thought that Luke would be killed by Kylo, with Finn and Rey then going to face him, with Finn dying and Kylo revealing himself to be to be Re's brother. Oh, well. And I think the only way a Death Star would have worked would be if they gave it to a Resistance sick and tired of a 30 year war.

If I see it again, I might leave after they escape from Jakku on the Falcon. Everything up to that point was gold. After that it was "mmmmm there's a bunch of big slimy tenticle creatures chasing them around a ship...mmmm now they're in the cantina again...mmmm why is there another cgi yoda looking alien talking about stuff?...mmmm oh another deathstar....yay."

I quite like the opening shot of the Stardestroyer enveloped in the shadow. JJ kind of playing with our expectations here.

Also appreciated the art direction throughout the film. With many ship designs being similar to the OT, but slightly different. The Tie Fighters never looked better and i loved the split engined X Wings.

Just seen it. The first act was great. Very good introductions, and the humour and action was spot on. But the second act dragged for me. It didn't propel the story enough and the Yoda rip-off Maz didn't help. And the third act, well it was just A New Hope and Return of the Jedi AGAIN! Another deathstar, another x wing vs tie fighter battle and another blown up deathstar. Very uninspired. The first act gave me so much hope but they just blew it for me from then on. I enjoyed it, of course. I'm not an idiot, but it was disappointing in those respects that I mentioned.

Also absolutely not a fan in any way of Snoke. Another forgettable CGI villain that looked and sounded ridiculous in his giant hologram chamber.

Big positives - Rey was great. BB8 was fantastic. Ren was a decent villain. Practical effects were great.

Big negatives - Snoke sucked, Phasma sucked, Finn was kind of over the top in every scene, Poe didn't do much to like, Another bloody deathstar, another desert planet, another ice planet. Oh and the utter predictability of Han's death was painful and unnecessary. Also Leia did nothing.

Final and most shocking for me was no memorable new themes from Williams. Nice music here and there, but can't hum anything or remember anything new I heard. That is bad.

Very good! You didn't let yourself be deceived by the hype.

Ah!

There's a scene taking place in the same location, with Finn and Poe meeting there and hugging. But that moment with that intense look: not there!

Right, it wasn't there. I just got back from the cinema.

I quite like the opening shot of the Stardestroyer enveloped in the shadow. JJ kind of playing with our expectations here.

I agree with you, the opening shot was interesting.

Very good! You didn't let yourself be deceived by the hype.

What hype? Does the hype really promise that TFA will offer anything new?

Did anyone else thought that the moment when they blow up Coruscant with the new Death Star is a not-so-subtle allegory for the prequels, i.e. let's wipe out the remnants of those films from the memory of the audience? :D

It wasn't Coruscant. It was named at one point in the film but I can't remember what the name was. Definitely not Coruscant though.

There are more PT references than just the Sith one. Kylo teases Hux about them using a Clone army near the beginning is one of the top of my head.

Not really.

The film already shows Rey is a capable fighter. She is good with the stick, so may also be with a lightsaber.

Also the movie clearly shows that Kylo Ren is injured, shot by Chewie.

Neither of them display that ballet-like fighting of the Prequels

Oh god ... Steef .. I can't believe you don't see that. So blind you have become. How she defeats Kylo with force and mind control (who is better than Darth Vader) is downright ridiculous.

I'm not talking about lightsaber duels, which were disappointingly executed without any philosophy behind it as well. J.J. wanted impact, not dance choreography. I understand that but I didn't feel "impact".

Not really.

The film already shows Rey is a capable fighter. She is good with the stick, so may also be with a lightsaber.

Also the movie clearly shows that Kylo Ren is injured, shot by Chewie.

Neither of them display that ballet-like fighting of the Prequels

I also thought it might have been a bit quick. And she's also portrayed as someone who can learn fast. And, unlike Luke at her age, she seems to be very clever. And I'm enjoying a strong proper female character.

But, to be honest, I don't want to take it all apart this way, there's just no point. I've watched the original trilogy the other week (after a decade). It's not really as good as I remember, some of the writing (even in Empire) is very clunky. Hardly a masterpiece of screenwriting. But, Star Wars is about sweeping adventure, emotions and mythical vibe, not clever plots. And this is exactly what TFA delivers. It FELT right. And like Star Wars.

Karol

Oh god ... Steef .. I can't believe you don't see that. So blind you have become. How she defeats Kylo with force and mind control (who is better than Darth Vader) is downright ridiculous.

You edited your post 3 times!

There is no evidence that Ren had a better or stronger control of the Force then Vader. If anything the film suggests that he is still in training.

The concept of using the Force to extract information is a new one though. It contradicts the OT.

But Alex, lets drop the pretense. How long will it be till you will state that you prefer the Prequels over TFA?

Nobody says she didn't get a basic training as a child? She seems to have some sort of knowledge. That's how I understood this.

Karol

The point is that it's delivered in such blunt way that I don't find it believable. Kylo is able to stop people and lasers in their tracks as if he stops time itself. Then Ren discovers she knows a thing or two about the force as well and immediately she defeats Kylo in mind and force control.

It's not any more of a stretch to have Luke being allowed as an X-Wing pilot in the battle of Yavin. He's never left Tatooine, for god's sake, how would he know anything about other spaceships, strategy and stuff like that?

Karol

It's not any more of a stretch to have Luke being allowed as an X-Wing pilot in the battle of Yavin. He's never left Tatooine, for god's sake, how would he know anything about other spaceships, strategy and stuff like that?

Karol

Luke was trained as a pilot.

Karol

Luke was trained as a pilot.

That was never stated anywhere

"I used to bullseye womp rats in my T-16 back home, they're not much bigger than two meters."

Yeah, but that doesn't make him a brilliant pilot of an X-Wing. It always bothered me.

Karol

Karol

Strange, crocs. What's more strange is that this is a licence for you for Star Wars to be as silly as it wants to. One 'mistake' (which it isn't) does not excuse making more.

Strange, crocs. What more strange that this is a licence for you for Star Wars to be as silly as it wants to.

Of course. This is Star Wars, mate. Not... Blade Runner or Christopher Nolan. ;)

Karol