The Force Awakens SPOILERS ALLOWED Discussion Thread

Jay

I don't see any real problem with that.

Kylo Ren is not a fully trained Sith, and his mind is in conflict. At times the Light Side still beckons him. So while he is very well able to use the Force on ordinary people, he might struggle with those who are Force sensitive.

Rey is obviously going to be the new central hero. The Force is very powerful with her, but she has (as far as we know) no training yet. That doesnt mean she cant make use it it in a clumsy, uneducated way.

Luckily, the huge guy next to me finished his large bucket of popcorn in 10 minutes.

Thank the Maker for small mercies!

Exactly what I was thinking. He was too big for me to take on but he also devoured his snacks like a big whale. It took other people like an hour or so before their buckets were empty.

Gotta also love the guys with a full bucket that go looking for the flakes at the bottom of it. Because picking the flakes at the top of the bucket would be top obvious and less noisy.

I honestly believe some people are making noise with their popcorn on purpose. They put their hand in the bucket and shake it (innuendo unintended!) for the fun of it. There's no other reasonable explanation for them making so much noise.

Kylo Ren is not a fully trained Sith,

That's the thing, he showed he was already more powerful than Darth Vader. Then comes a youngling and he's weak like you wouldn't believe.

My main problem was basically the second and third acts. They just didn't deliver. Why give us another A New Hope and Return of the Jedi!!? The first act was beautifully done. I loved everything about it and then boom here's the past films again. I firmly believe the plot of the prequels is the best, being that the evil, cunning, brutal plot of Palpatine to rise to power and manipulate everyone into his plan was gorgeously executed. Minus all the CGI and annoying characters, the prequels had the most engaging plots. This just had no plot. ANOTHER deathstar. Another droid with secret plans. Another meet up with the rebellion, another black masked dark side villain serving another evil, dark, grey, pale skinned emperor figure, another x wing vs tie fighter battle, another action scene of the falcon flying through a tight space. Another ice planet battle. Another opening on a desert planet. Another finale action set piece of a main good guy talking with another main bad guy about how he's his father. Another destruction of a super evil planet sized base. Another celebration of the resistance winning. Another bored and disappointed fan.

Luckily, the huge guy next to me finished his large bucket of popcorn in 10 minutes.

Thank the Maker for small mercies!

Exactly what I was thinking. He was too big for me to take on but he also devoured his snacks like a big whale. It took other people like an hour or so before their buckets were empty.

Gotta also love the guys with a full bucket that go looking for the flakes at the bottom of it. Because picking the flakes at the top of the bucket would be top obvious and less noisy.

I honestly believe some people are making noise with their popcorn on purpose. They put their hand in the bucket and shake it (innuendo unintended!) for the fun of it. There's no other reasonable explanation for them making so much noise.

The huge guy torpedoed his hand into the popcorn making lots of noise from the very start. At that point, I didn't realize at that it was also going to be my rescue.

My main problem was basically the second and third acts. They just didn't deliver. Why give us another A New Hope and Return of the Jedi!!? The first act was beautifully done. I loved everything about it and then boom here's the past films again. I firmly believe the plot of the prequels is the best, being that the evil, cunning, brutal plot of Palpatine to rise to power and manipulate everyone into his plan was gorgeously executed. Minus all the CGI and annoying characters, the prequels had the most engaging plots. This just had no plot. ANOTHER deathstar. Another droid with secret plans. Another meet up with the rebellion, another black masked dark side villain serving another evil, dark, grey, pale skinned emperor figure, another x wing vs tie fighter battle, another action scene of the falcon flying through a tight space. Another ice planet battle. Another opening on a desert planet. Another finale action set piece of a main good guy talking with another main bad guy about how he's his father. Another destruction of a super evil planet sized base. Another celebration of the resistance winning. Another bored and disappointed fan.

Yes, you have listed that...several times already

My main problem was basically the second and third acts. They just didn't deliver. Why give us another A New Hope and Return of the Jedi!!? The first act was beautifully done. I loved everything about it and then boom here's the past films again.

I'm sorry, but this makes no sense. You criticize the second and third acts for being a rehash of ANH and ROTJ (which they are, I'm not denying that), but then you say you loved the first act, yet this was also an obvious rehash of ANH.

My main problem was basically the second and third acts. They just didn't deliver. Why give us another A New Hope and Return of the Jedi!!? The first act was beautifully done. I loved everything about it and then boom here's the past films again.

But the beginning was already a copy of A New Hope. Dark villain looking for plans, plans hidden in droid, droid escapes to desert planet, droid meats protagonist in white clothing who lives in desert, ... it mimics everything .. It's a remake!

Prequels had more original idea for a plot. But not a plot itself.

The most perplexing and puzzling thing about the whole thing was the actual superweapon. I just can't wrap my mind around it. Just the concept of it. How do you even build such a thing, and in 30 years. And why does it have snow planet surface?

Karol

I'm sorry, but this makes no sense. You criticize the second and third acts for being a rehash of ANH and ROTJ (which they are, I'm not denying that), but then you say you loved the first act, yet this was also an obvious rehash of ANH.

I loved the tenseness of the first act, the execution of the introductions. I liked BB8's involvement and gags, and the writing, while being familar, was different enough and engaging enough for me to really enjoy. Then it just became motionless for me. The minute they left Jakku, that was it for me, I mean that whole rathtars scene was utterly boring and pointless. I can't rememner a single action scene that excited me to be honest. I think it was a mistake bringing Han and Leia back in the first place. They had awful chemistry this time around. They served no purpose to the plot at all! Because they already had the falcon and were already looking for the resistance. Han's only purpose was to die, which again I felt no sadness for because it was utterly predictable.

He wasn't wounded when he lost the mind control battle with her. She's too powerful too quickly.

She had Awakened! Just like the title says! She is a Force prodigy!

Oh I just intercepted an email from Disney btw, who said "sorry guys were you expecting Captain Phasma to do anything? Haha screw you. She can be a gag about something from the previous films. Ermmm hey! Let's mention the trash compactor! That'll make the fans happy."

Anyway....

Was anyone surprised that it was Rey rather then Finn who's gonna be the "new" Jedi? Since promo material seems to have depicted Finn with the light saber rather then Rey.

That was an obvious switcharoo. They need a female jedi, so Rey was obviously going to be the force user. Not finn.

Another point: was anyone annoyed by the yet another thing to destroy so that it blows up the entire new deathstar? Seriously though, after 2 failed deathstars, you'd think they would learn not to leave something there to easily blow it up. They spent 30 seconds saying "we'll destroy that thermal shizzle, that'll blow the entire thing up. Okay let's go."

Anyway....

Was anyone surprised that it was Rey rather then Finn who's gonna be the "new" Jedi? Since promo material seems to have depicted Finn with the light saber rather then Rey.

Not surprised in the least. The Finn thing was clearly a red herring.

I mentioned it in my review, but wasnt annoyed with it. It's silly of course. But I don't have the antagonistic hate towards TFA that you seem to have developed.

Anyway....

Not surprised in the least. The Finn thing was clearly a red herring.

Same here.

I find it interesting that JJ is pathological about keeping the plot a secret, yet offers film a with no surprises what so ever.

Anyway....

NO!!

The marketing team might be choosing to show Boyega with a lightsaber to trick us; Maybe he's just a regular dude who picks one up at one point, while Rey is the actual force-user in the new tril. Who knows!

I don't hate it. I'm disappointed. I'm a big Star Wars fan, I don't want to spread hate for the film, I am merely stating my opinion on why it lacked any new ideas.

Did anyone at any point think "WOW!" at anything? Or did anything make you think Man that's cool? Because it didn't for me and that is a huge negative. Even the preqiels made me think Wow, Phantom Menace was clearly the podrace and the duel with maul. I even thought the hundreds of Jedi vs droid army was a wow moment in AOTC and revenge of the sith really made me impressed with the final lightsaber duel and Anakin marching towards the temple and the entire sequence of the jedi being wiped out throughout the galaxy. This film didn't have a single wow or ooo that's cool moment for me. That is really saddening as a fan. I'm not hating. I'm quite shocked I didn't really enjoy it.

Speaking of moments that make me think this is cool, I didn't once think any piece of music was impressive. That is mightily depressing to me. As I've said on the music threads, I can't remember a single note or a single impressive moment music wise.

This film has more WOW moments for me then the Prequels combined. I've always found the podrace dull and pointless. Yes it was technically impressive for its day, but what was the point.

Parts of the Zam The Assasin chase were very good, but that was it when it comes to AOTC.

ROTS didnt have any WOW for me, such a hollow and painfully inept film. I caught a climpse of the final duel between Anakin and Obi-Wan on TV the other day and it looks shit! Two guys in a volcano duking it out and they didnt even bother to make the actors look like they are sweating.

The Prequels are the nadir of film making. And TFA, which is a very derivative film which tries far too much to makes remember the OT rather then the Prequels about lightyears better. Throughout I was entertained, not bored. I was wowed, rather then embarrassed.

I am a hater! A hater of the Prequels, and TFA is a lot better!

Throughout I was entertained, not bored. I was wowed, rather then embarrassed.

Yup!

I wonder this is what it must have been like for Star Trek fans back in 2009. Another film which wasn't too smart. But fun!

Karol

What made you think wow in this film then? Was it the action scene of the falcon flying through the tight spaces in the ship, being chased and shot at by tie fighters? Oh wait that was in return of the jedi. Was it the x-wings vs the Tie fighters as they were trying to destroy the deathstar? Oh wait that was a new hope and return of the jedi. Was it a father and son on a walkway over a large chasm before the good guy fell? Oh wait that was empire strikes back.

In many ways yes, for me that is.

But JJ's style doesnt mesh as well with Star Trek as it does with Star Wars. And the script had some really huge weaknesses that you had to forgive.

J.J. adapted his style a bit for Star Wars. It's more relaxed and less nervous. Still shallow and empty as hell though.

Several planets were destroyed by the Starkiller

Yes but they were all in the Hosnian system which Coruscant isn't.

The New Republic didn't set up government on Coruscant. This is already known from Aftermath.

I agree. The editing is more relaxed. The camera moves around a bit less, and no obvious lensflares of doom.

JJ seems to have been overcompensating for Star Trek. While for Wars he seems to have felt more sure of himself.

Several planets were destroyed by the Starkiller

Yes but they were all in the Hosnian system which Coruscant isn't.

The New Republic didn't set up government on Coruscant. This is already known from Aftermath.

What?

Basically Coruscant isn't in this film and isn't destroyed.

The balance of the Force stuff from Sydow is obviously a PT reference along with the clone line.

There's a Clone Wars alien in it too

Loads of PT stuff!

Anyway, two viewings in and I'm loving this film. Lots of fun.

So, did anyone spot the Michael Giacchino cameo?

No, but I could've sworn Daniel Craig was the stormtrooper on who Rey uses the Jedi mind trick?

I spotted some British thespians like Harriet Walter, Kate Fleetwood and Pip Torrens among the First order and Resistance ranks. Oh and obligatory J.J. buddy appearance by Greg Grunberg.

I just read the plot summary on Wikipedia, and, you know what?- it may not be all that bad.

Then again... All rewarmed material, so old it is now tasteless.

Can't wait until all this mess is over and we can get back to our normal lives.