The Force Awakens SPOILERS ALLOWED Discussion Thread

Jay

Well it was a fun romp, as is the case with most JJ Abrams movies. Hard to say if it will hold up that well, or if it will be remembered 10 years from now.

Anwyay, I can't be the only one who think Kylo Ren was fucking awful? With that slight frame and voice he exudes very little of the aura that made Vader so iconic. And when he takes off the mask... Fucking hell, that's Neville Longbottom.

The lightsaber fight between Kylo and Rey looks like two kids duking it out... because they are kids. Especially Kylo, who does not look the part in the slightest bit. During the fight in the snow all I thought of was ARE WE BACK AT HOGWARTS?!

Rey's progression was way too rushed. compare that to Luke's in the ANH. In fact the last half of the movie tried to move the plot forward too fast.

I think I prefer the first half, which had more Star Wars vibes. The second half with the onslaught of CGI had a mild prequel taste to it...

Wow. Some unbearable déjà vu happening here. As always, some people are bafflingly interested in dissecting things as if they're high school students with a dead frog splayed open on their desk. Petulant and sterile.

Where is the humanity? The soul? These things are disturbingly absent from this place - and the world - lately. People just don't care about the "thing" anymore. Only how they can criticize or analyze it. Seems like a miserable way to be, but what do I know.

Did you miss the LSO, TGP?

And I agree with you. People will hack this film to death, but I really don't feel I want to. Yes it's flawed. But it has real heart.

Just listened to the score again, some truly breathtaking moments there.

Haha, no I did not miss the LSO! The AFM Local 47 delivered as I always knew it would.

They were OK, bless them. It took 7 months to record this though. The LSO would have done it in 3 days.

Oh they were more than OK.

Considering most of them can't actually read any notes, and the brass players dont have thumbs...

They still fight the good fight though, bless them!

It wasn't as good as the hype suggested (when are they ever?), but I had a good time and left the theatre largely satisfied, with only some disappointments. Which I'm not actually all that bothered about really, since there's plenty of time for developments to be made.

Wow. Some unbearable déjà vu happening here. As always, some people are bafflingly interested in dissecting things as if they're high school students with a dead frog splayed open on their desk. Petulant and sterile.

Where is the humanity? The soul? These things are disturbingly absent from this place - and the world - lately. People just don't care about the "thing" anymore. Only how they can criticize or analyze it. Seems like a miserable way to be, but what do I know.

Don't be a critical human but a non-thinking sheep.

I havent noticed you before, you are new here?

Nice to meet you.

Thanks. And yes, I'm new. Hope to stay long though.

How's Festus these days, Matt?

The lightsaber fight between Kylo and Rey looks like two kids duking it out... because they are kids. Especially Kylo, who does not look the part in the slightest bit. During the fight in the snow all I thought of was ARE WE BACK AT HOGWARTS?!

Hahaha, so true, because I thought of it too, sorta.

Really Lee, this year there has been only one film that lived up to it's hype, and you hated it....

I wish Mad Max wasn't as hugely disappointing to me as it was, but what can I do? I just didn't think much of it.

I just saw it again. This time in 3D. The 3D was great. Made the action sequences far more enjoyable. Again I feel I have to say that I do NOT hate the film. I enjoyed it. And far more the second time. I still stick by my negatives; that there were no original ideas and that the entire 3rd act was just the 3rd act of A New Hope. And I still feel the death of Solo was unnecessary and a forced attempt to give the film an emotional weight it already had. I definitely enjoyed it far more than the first time, but I stand by my previous and first impressions.

Anywho, on second viewing I noticed some interesting stuff, like when Ren was interogating Rey and he said; I'm paraphrasing "you picture an ocean. I see it too. I see the island." And then Rey found Luke at the end on an island in the middle of an ocean. So Rey was perhaps having visions of Luke her whole life? Also Ren said to Snoke that Rey has been trained and she is far more powerful than she knows, or something like that. So maybe in the second one, it will be revealed that Rey was a child of the force, or trained by Luke or something to explain her instant connection and skills with the force.

the entire 3rd act was just the 3rd act of A New Hope.

The whole film is just ANH!

Anywho, on second viewing I noticed some interesting stuff, like when Ren was interogating Rey and he said; I'm paraphrasing "you picture an ocean. I see it too. I see the island." And then Rey found Luke at the end on an island in the middle of an ocean.

Nice catch!

Yeah I know it was all a rehash, but the final act was painfully copied. Even another mini trench run in the x-wings. But before Leia showed up it was holding itself as fresh enough I thought. I still adore the first third completely.

She could be Leias daughter actually. Rey was grabbed by Ren just before Leia showed up. So they never met. Ford played it like he knew something about her was weird. He immediately took a liking to her. But i'm sure Ren would have sensed it.

Indeed. I don't think Rey is related to anyone though. I hope not. They can't do another reveal of a parent and child revelation again in the next film. They've done that enough and for Ren to be related and then Rey related, it all becomes even more ridiculous. I hope she is something different entirely.

Of course, it makes the Skywalker family less special if any random person born in any random place can be force-sensitive.

I just saw it again. This time in 3D. The 3D was great. Made the action sequences far more enjoyable. Again I feel I have to say that I do NOT hate the film. I enjoyed it. And far more the second time. I still stick by my negatives; that there were no original ideas and that the entire 3rd act was just the 3rd act of A New Hope. And I still feel the death of Solo was unnecessary and a forced attempt to give the film an emotional weight it already had. I definitely enjoyed it far more than the first time, but I stand by my previous and first impressions.

Anywho, on second viewing I noticed some interesting stuff, like when Ren was interogating Rey and he said; I'm paraphrasing "you picture an ocean. I see it too. I see the island." And then Rey found Luke at the end on an island in the middle of an ocean. So Rey was perhaps having visions of Luke her whole life? Also Ren said to Snoke that Rey has been trained and she is far more powerful than she knows, or something like that. So maybe in the second one, it will be revealed that Rey was a child of the force, or trained by Luke or something to explain her instant connection and skills with the force.

No they say she's untrained.

I thought the rathtar action scene was more Men in Black than Star Wars. Didn't do it for me at all. Showed Rey's inventiveness well, but the story had got going then already as the falcon left Jakku, and then 5 minutes later it stopped completely for a random space pirate scene.

Few questions for anyone who knows or has theories.

- I can't remember why Han took them to Maz? He didn't know she had Luke's lightsaber so what did they go there for?

- What was the deal with the force vision attack that Rey had in Maz's place?

- If Ren turned on Luke as he was training new Jedi, then where are the other Jedi that were trained with Ren?

- Do you think Phasma is dead? Because if so then what a big waste of Gwen. I think she should have been the trooper that shouted traitor at Finn and then Finn fought with Luke's saber. Would have been cooler.

I just saw it again. This time in 3D. The 3D was great. Made the action sequences far more enjoyable. Again I feel I have to say that I do NOT hate the film. I enjoyed it.

I read your initial reaction post earlier today and you could have fooled me.

So, based on an amalgamation of negative reviews, I am gathering that this film is a full-on rehash of the OT but with sequences, music, and other aspects that are "un-Star Wars-Like."

As these points are not consistent, which is it?

It's not unfair to call it a modern remake of Star Wars, no. But I couldn't give a shit about any of that, because we watch formulaic movies all the time and most of them aren't as heartily entertaining as this. If you micro analyse it you're doing it wrong.