The Force Awakens SPOILERS ALLOWED Discussion Thread

Jay

Yeah I think Rey was watched over by Luke. Like I said the other day, when Ren interrogates her, he says something like "you picture an ocean. I see it too. An island in an ocean" and that's of course where we find Luke at the end. So Rey has been seeing the first Jedi temple. I think she's obviously very powerful.

I think she's obviously very powerful.

Too powerful, too soon!
I agree.

Oh yeah so is anyone denying the basically obvious notion that Snoke is Darth Plagueis? Considering Serkis says he's been around a long time and saw all what happened before in the previous films, and the big obvious one is the huge similarities in the music. I mean Palpatine's Teachings when he talks about Plagueis is basically the same as Snoke's theme. Someone would have surely picked up on that and changed the music if it wasn't true. I think Williams was specifically instructed to give Snoke a similar musical identity.

He's not Plagueis.

In the art of book they show them considering having Snoke as a female. Plagueis was referred to as male in RotS.

He 100% is not Plagueis.

Some are speculating that Snoke is small like Yoda.

I found it weird that Rey could speak BB-8.

She could also understand Chewie. Strong connection to the Force I guess.

He's not Plagueis.

In the art of book they show them considering having Snoke as a female. Plagueis was referred to as male in RotS.

He 100% is not Plagueis.

How is that proof? Why would they connect their music so obviously? And why would they shroud Snoke in mystery and have him as a hologram as well, if he isn't going to be something that will mean something big? I think he's being set up for the reveal in Ep.8 as Plagueis. Snoke is just another pointless ominous figure otherwise. And Star Wars never does that. Ren couldn't even be a fresh new villain, he had to be related to Leia and Han.

It's funny, I see loads of people all over the Internet bringing up the Plagueis thing but most of those people are the same ones saying Disney are ignoring the prequels.

So if they'd gone ahead with the female Snoke it would still have been Plagueis?

Why? Luke could speak R2

That was more like Luke talking to himself though, more so than him understanding a language, which was part of the function of having R2 there to begin with. It gave the filmmakers an excuse to have him think out loud.

Why? Luke could speak R2

That was more like Luke talking to himself though, more so than him understanding a language, which was part of the function of having R2 there to begin with. It gave the filmmakers an excuse to have him think out loud.

Yes! Threepio had to translate him. Have you even seen Star Wars, Stefan?

"What's wrong with him now?"

"There are several creatures approaching from the southeast."

At first I thought she couldn't really understand BB-8's unique language, but she magically knew when it tells her that Finn is wearing Poe's jacket. Maybe they have universal translators.

It's funny, I see loads of people all over the Internet bringing up the Plagueis thing but most of those people are the same ones saying Disney are ignoring the prequels.

So if they'd gone ahead with the female Snoke it would still have been Plagueis?

Oh I don't know, maybe they were throwing people off by mentioning a female Snoke, but they wouldn't do that! Never. Remember that Cumberbatch isn't Khan!

I think I'm screwed because the only one of the new characters I like is Poe. He was in this movie for like 5 minutes total. Hopefully, Mark Hamill's in the next one a lot.

I would hope Hamill and Isaac have more screentime in Episode VIII.

I think I'm screwed because the only one of the new characters I like is Poe. He was in this movie for like 5 minutes total. Hopefully, Mark Hamill's in the next one a lot.

Did Poe go with them to Luke? He didn't right? So that's annoying as he wont be at the temple in Ep.8. I'm more worried about what the hell is going to be a threat to the resistance anymore? They've destroyed 3 death stars, with no problem at all, so how will they write another big threat to make us worried for the good guys? A galaxy sized death star? The galaxy killer? Nothing can be scary to Leia anymore. She must just be thinking "Ah screw it, bring on the 4th deathstar." I think someone at the evil headquarters needs to stop building deathstars. 3 built and 3 destroyed is not a good success rate.

Won't be hard for Hamill!

I've heard in Ep.8 Luke clears his throat. And in Ep.9 he mows the grass around the temple for 2 hours straight while Rey watches thinking it's training.

Why? Luke could speak R2

Rey is shown speaking other languages in Jakku. She probably has dealt with droids all of her life, for all we know, She is very good with gadgets

Brilliant!

Plus, that would explain the red arm! It wasn't 3PO: it was 2PO!

I buy the red arm, but why the hell has he a golden arm again at the end of the movie?? They have time in the middle of the battle for change it again?

Why did Ren want Luke's lightsaber?

That´s because it´s also Anakin´s saber. The one which he kills a lot of Jedi in Revenge of the Sith...

So, anyway, since it seems all the new characters will be linked to the old ones (Ren is Han and Leia's son, Rey will probably be Luke's or/and Leia's daughter, Finn will most likely be Lando's son, Snoke is Palpatine's son, Hux is Needa's...), what are the chances that Poe is Wedge Antilles' son?

Nope. He is Kes Dameron and Shara Bey´s son according with the Shattered Empire comic that is canon :P.

The main thing the movie has got going for it, and that they had to get right was the new main cast. The meat and bones of this trilogy's story would have never been told in this movie.

Saw what you want about JJ, he usually casts well! He even found totally acceptable replacements for Shatner, Nimoy and Kelley.

For sure, one of his strong points is the casting. Look at Lost, Star Trek and now TFA...

Yea, that's what I meant to say before. It's cool that someone fished Luke's saber out of Cloud City, and that it made its way to Maz, who seems to be really knowledgeable and will probably play an important part of Episode 8.

But wouldn't there be a bunch of lightsabers in the world at this point? I mean it's cool that in the OT there is really only Vader's, Obi-Wan's, and Anakin/Luke's.... And in ROTJ Luke makes his replacement green one (actually I'm not sure if that deleted ROTJ scene is canon or not, but it had to come from somewhere).

But the backstory here is Luke trained a bunch of candidates over the past 30 years, and probably some of them made sabers, or he made them for them or something.

So when he sees Finn has a saber, why would he know it was Anakin's? It could be anybody's.

Well, maybe Ren spent some quality time with Luke (he is his uncle after all), and Luke described it to him. That could be it.

A better question is why did Maz hold onto it instead of trying to get it back to Luke and his academy?

Well, I'm expecting that to be explained in 8

It was just more sloppy writing. The audience knows it's Luke's lightsaber, so Kylo should as well. Again, don't ask questions. We don't have answers. Here's more action and Star Wars stuff.

We don't know when that saber was recovered. At that time, its significance and ownership could've been as clear as day. I don't see absolutely any lazy writing this. Just unresolved plot points

When Han asked how Maz has the lightsaber and she replies "That's a good question but for another time", that line is so obviously meant for the audience I'm surprised she didn't turn to the camera and break the fourth wall as she said it.

That's a big problem I had with the film. It was constantly setting up another spin-off comic / book / game / whatever instead of just being it's own thing the whole time.

~

Why Kylo Ren Turned To The Dark Side According To J.J. Abrams

Weak motivation. Again, say what you want about Lucas and the prequels, but they made a sympathetic character out of Darth Vader/Anakin. He turned to the dark side because he loved someone so deeply and believed he could have the power to save them after his premonitions tormented him. He made a deal with the devil and the darkness consumed him. Once she's dead, the last part of him that was good seemingly dies with her. Until he learns that his children are alive, that is, and then he's on the road to redemption.

There are like no redeeming qualities to Kylo. Not yet, anyway. Since they're copying the OT, that will undoubtedly change.

Did Poe go with them to Luke? He didn't right? So that's annoying as he wont be at the temple in Ep.8. I'm more worried about what the hell is going to be a threat to the resistance anymore? They've destroyed 3 death stars, with no problem at all, so how will they write another big threat to make us worried for the good guys? A galaxy sized death star? The galaxy killer? Nothing can be scary to Leia anymore. She must just be thinking "Ah screw it, bring on the 4th deathstar." I think someone at the evil headquarters needs to stop building deathstars. 3 built and 3 destroyed is not a good success rate.

Obviously the First Order is going to build a whole fleet of Death Stars, thousands of them, which Roy will easily destroy with one swing of Anakin's lightsaber.

23 pages in 2 days? This is why I never read Star Wars threads.

I'll just say that it was great how tangible everything felt. From the very beginning, with the storm troopers marching out onto Jakku, to how they all get blasted away. Everything had a realistic weight to it that was completely gone in Episodes I-III. Speaking of episodes, I thought they were straying away from them? Why not include Episode VII in all the marketing if it's right there in the beginning of the film? Some of the dialogue was pretty bad with lots of exposition sprinkled around. Overarching plot goes nowhere; didn't like the ending. Always enjoy Abrams' direction and how he frames the action, he didn't disappoint with the two major battles in the film. Score was good.

They are making official "Episode" Star Wars movies in 2015, 2017, and 2019, with spinoff / standalone movies in the years in between.

The Episodes will continue the story of the SKywalker clan while the spinoffs could be about anything. The first one coming out is about the rebels who stole the original Death Star plans, the second one is about young Han Solo, they had a Boba Fett one in development plus rumors of Obi-Wan and Yoda ones