The Force Awakens SPOILERS ALLOWED Discussion Thread

Jay

19 minutes ago, BloodBoal said:

What the hell is that supposed to mean?

That when i first watched it, i felt I hadn't seen again something like this, and that's why it was necessary for this film to be made.

It was something new, at least it looked like to me.

I didn't feel that way about TFA  but i wouldn't care for something like this anyway (I mean, this is not my main complaint), as long as it had a strong story and made me care for the characters.

So, again to summarize the comparison:

The Original trilogy won in 2 areas: story and visuals ("visuals" meaning it was something new).

TFA didn't win in anything (yes, it was fairly well executed but I didn't see anything I haven't seen before)

(always speaking for myself)

Apart from the 3D, which actually isnt new either Avatar's visuals are new the way the iPhone 6s is new. It's faster, higher resolution, a few new tricks and tweaks. But essentially no different then the iPhone 3g.

As for TFA, it's story is passable, if incredibly derivative and clunkily assembled at times, but I cared about the characters, old and new. They really made the film for me.

No, it was dreadful for me man.

I hate the idea that a first time SW viewer (assuming that for some people TFA is their first SW movie) will be presented with that moment as their first exposure to the idea/explanation of the force, I honestly thought it was terrible.

The original SW scene is wonderful, not a gimmick in the least ....that's ridiculous man.

No wonder you're sympathetic towards the Maz scene then if you honestly believe that.

Don't be insulting please.

For me personally The Force never came alive in Star Wars. It was mostly a gimmick and a McGuffin. It wasn't untill TESB and Yoda that they actually made it work for me.

I am sorry if that distorts your world view.

Woah there man ...back up, I didn't insult you!

Don't use that as an excuse when someone calls you out on something, that's Alex C's style.

I have a friend who has not seen any of the Star Wars movies before and loved TFA.  Not sure how much she soaked up from pop culture prior, but she didn't seem to have any questions of universe logistics, etc.

Yeah, I know a lot of females from my generation who grew up with no interest in SW at all but now with their own kids absolutely love TFA.

1 hour ago, Stefancos said:

Former member Mark Olivarez points out that Snoke seems to have similar wounds on his face as Darth Vader after he was unmakes in ROTJ.

Who? 

JJ and company have made it abundantly clear that crap like Darth Plagueis, or any other serious references to the prequels, would not be appearing in their new series.  Even the small clones reference at the beginning of TFA was sarcastic.  It sounded like Kasdan taking a verbal dump on Lucas without being too overt.

17 hours ago, Stefancos said:

The name Mark Olivarez no longer appears in our list of members. So he is a former member.

Once you join JWFan, it will forever dominate your destiny.

Karol

So I'm sure the vision Rey had has been discussed to death, but there's so many threads and pages that it's hard to keep track of what has already been said. But was anything major said about how she sees the future through it? Because of seeing the fight she will eventually have at the end of the film with Ren in the snowy forest. Also what was said about one of the Knights of Ren having a staff like Rey's? 

Nothing's been said about any of that on this forum that I can recall.

Please, feel free to share your own observations and theories!