The Force Awakens SPOILERS ALLOWED Discussion Thread

Jay

I like the Bowcaster scenes.  Pure fan-service but very enjoyable (as well as working as a good set-up/pay-off to Kylo's wound later in film)

10 hours ago, Mr. Breathmask said:

These guys have. 

a whole action sequence from the climax was cut from the final movie.

I wonder if there was any Williams music written for it...

The bowcaster jokes would have worked in ESB, or ROTJ. (still, Han had been with chewie for several years...)

In TFA, as i said, yeah they are still funny. But unvelievable forced. Finn could have made them (and make more sense) and they would still be funny as they are. But well it doesnt really harm the film.

10 minutes ago, Luke Skywalker said:

The bowcaster jokes would have worked in ESB, or ROTJ. (still, Han had been with chewie for several years...)

In TFA, as i said, yeah they are still funny. But unvelievable forced. Finn could have made them (and make more sense) and they would still be funny as they are. But well it doesnt really harm the film.

Dude:

1 hour ago, Sharky said:

I assume Chewie had his bowcaster upgraded, This one has way more punch than in previous films.

1 hour ago, Stefancos said:

You didn't before? You needed a line a dialogue to make it clear?

"Wow Chewie, I should have used this on Greedo!"

Actually no, my comment was intended as a reply to the quote I've pasted below, but the weird page loading behaviour of this crap new forum software chose not to reveal subsequent posts at the time for some reason. There was no black bar notification alerting me to anything, it only took me seconds to reply anyway. This has happened quite a few times since the update funnily enough. It's annoying. 

1 hour ago, Sharky said:

I assume Chewie had his bowcaster upgraded, This one has way more punch than in previous films.

In all three OT films Chewie only uses it like twice.  The joke is that they're actually using it as a weapon consistently and not just an accessory.  I doubt it has anything to do with being "upgraded".

13 hours ago, Stefancos said:

Manuel.

If Han knows who Rey is, then why does he want to dump her off the Falcon?

It's worth noting that his desire to jettison her and Finn comes long before he asks her name. I'm not saying I necessarily think Han knew who she was, but it's possible he only put two and two together upon learning her name on Takodana. I saw the film again yesterday and looked to see if Harrison gives any subtle indication of surprise or recognition in that moment; he doesn't. So who knows...

The tread on the stormtroopers boots was different than in all other 6 films as well. I checked and there were 12 distinct changes of direction in the tread pattern in the original trilogy, but in TFA there were only 11. Totally took me out of the film. I just hope they correct the mistake in Ep8.

Jay...it's ok. You asume the bowcaster has been upgraded. (anyway one sentence (1-2 seconds of extra footage) to make it clear wouldnt had hurt and wouldnt count as over-exposition.). Many plotholes from the prequels can be explained with asumptions anyway...

In order to enjoy these films, i'm going to asume that some time travel 'star trek 2009 event' happened after the novel 'Star Wars Crucible' and then someone traveled to the very ending of return of the jedi and the story changed forever....

19 minutes ago, Luke Skywalker said:

der to enjoy these films, i'm going to asume that some time travel 'star trek 2009 event' happened after the novel 'Star Wars Crucible' and then someone traveled to the very ending of return of the jedi and the story changed forever....

Why?

What happened in TFA that directly contradicts ROTJ?

You misunderstand what he wrote.

He is saying that he wants to pretend all the EU still happened, but then after the last EU novel, a character went back to just after ROTJ and now with TFA we are seeing an alternate ~30 year history.

I went to the bookstore yesterday and read the last few chapters of the TFA novel.  It is very well written and a quick read.  I like that it explains more about the character motives.  Some take aways:

* Poe and Resistance were losing and about to give up at the end.  I didn't feel that in the movie, it seemed too easy in the film but the book painted it as much more failed until the containment crack emerged.

* Ren spends more time to woo Rey to the dark side.  Basically, the line in the film came out of nowhere but in the book, you see he is a bit intimidated by her skills she doesn't know she has.  So there is more of a set up explanation before he starts to woo her as to why she can only be a real warrior through the dark side.  She is shown to consider the dark and light force but throw away the dark...I didn't see in the movie that was what was in her head.  I did like how she struggled to take in the enormity of the situation though.

* Leia has more lines before "may the force be with you" to Rey.  Her attitude towards Rey is maternal (that word is stated) don't know if that means explicitly that Leia is Rey's mom or just a caring person.

* There are the seeds of a potential future love between Poe and Rey...they only meet at the end when Starkiller base is destroyed but there was a bit of flirt.

* Starkiller makes more sense and its destruction is basically more about the star that it consumed being restored after the containment field was destroyed.  What I like about this was it wasn't so much another death star with a weak spot but rather a star that had to be contained and through a series of events (Captain Phasma, mines, Poe taking targeting the resulting breach) the containment failed.

* Pretty much nothing extra in the book about the jedi steps, R2 activating, or Luke turning to see her.

Poe and Rey romance?  Isn't he a lot older than her?

Anyways I hope the BD has a really long delete scenes section with all the stuff that was filmed.  And that anything that made it to the scoring stage has Williams' cues restored.  And that fans will make expanded cuts integrating the scenes back in since JJ doesn't want to.

21 minutes ago, Jay said:

It's Hollywood so it should be ok. Hahaha.

rupert-murdoch-oscars-date-619-386.jpg

21 minutes ago, Jay said:

Anyways I hope the BD has a really long delete scenes section with all the stuff that was filmed.  And that anything that made it to the scoring stage has Williams' cues restored.  And that fans will make expanded cuts integrating the scenes back in since JJ doesn't want to.

For sure!

6 hours ago, BloodBoal said:

The stormtroopers didn't appear in all 6 films, so...

In the Phantom Menace there was a deleted scene of Maul looking at a burnt boot of a trooper and asking for guidance

1 hour ago, Jay said:

How much older he is supposed to be?

Remember han was 30 and leia 20...

I told you. If Rey is based upon Jaina, she is going to marry non-force user ace pilot.

As much as Luke wants them to be, the filmmakers simply aren't basing any of their characters on EU characters.  They are doing completely their own thing.

Of course some elements will end up being similar - they wrote EU material for 40 years now!  Lots and lots of stories exist, and of course some elements will show up again in the new films in some form.  But they are not actively trying to adapt anything from the EU, not by a long shot.

Maybe, but I don't see why they'd need to scan through the EU to look for story ideas when they can tell so many of their own.

I just don't get why people would think that they are paying attention to the EU because in both versions, Han & Leia have a son that becomes evil.  That's an ancient story trope that's existed since the greek myths!

Yes when George made the prequels, he did bring in a few elements that he had not come up with himself but had been a part of the 90s EU, and you named the two biggest (Palpatine and Coruscant).  Actually I think someone posted recently that Coruscant was actually mentioned in the TESB novelization, or something like that?  I dunno if it had ever been described as a city-wide planet for Zahn's trilogy of books, though.  Really, I can't be arsed about all this minutia!

I am going to see TFA for a second time tonight, this time in IMAX.  I am curious how I will find my second viewing.  I expect I will iike it much more than my first viewing.

They did film some scenes with IMAX cameras, so it is worth it.

I read your experience in your IMAX theater, but it sounded like it was one of those fake IMAX screens, and not a real IMAX screen.

The one I am going to is absolutely a real, proper IMAX screen.

1 hour ago, Jay said:

Yes when George made the prequels, he did bring in a few elements that he had not come up with himself but had been a part of the 90s EU, and you named the two biggest (Palpatine and Coruscant). 

Palpatine is mentioned by name in the prologe of the novel of the original film.

2 hours ago, Jay said:

Maybe, but I don't see why they'd need to scan through the EU to look for story ideas when they can tell so many of their own.

I just don't get why people would think that they are paying attention to the EU because in both versions, Han & Leia have a son that becomes evil.  That's an ancient story trope that's existed since the greek myths!

I said characters based on, not copied. I think the producers did even say that.

By the way. Han and leia not only have a son that turns to the dark side. He is also irredeemeable so he will be have to be killed. And Luke's son is called Ben.

And reallylatest?cb=20090212033648JainaSolo.jpg

5 minutes ago, Stefancos said:

So Kylo Ren will turn out to be Luke's son, you reckon? Then maybe Rey can be Leia's daughter.

Nooo...im saying that they used this and that, and Ren and Rey are a mix of the young solo/skywalkers from legends...

In fact, in order to be called 'legends' they have to have some connections with the real story. So maybe they intend that, taking this and that, so the legend is imbued with some credibility, surrounded by rumours and fantasy for a supposedly future reader (on the same universe, im not meaning our future)of them in the future.

Think of our middle ages legends for example...

It's doubtful that JJ or Rian or Larry K have any working knowledge of the EU or novelizations of previous movies, and probably don't care.  It's likely that anything that remotely resembles a nugget from the EU is purely coincidental.