The Force Awakens SPOILERS ALLOWED Discussion Thread

Jay

The thing is... I could take apart this film with ease. Point out every single thing that felt off. But there is no point. It's not a brilliant piece of filmmaking, and was never going to be. It delivers what it promises, and that's all there is to it.

I've read some reviews now. And I agree with both good and bad ones. It's true, all of it.

Karol

Ok, let's discuss the next silly thing!

The Falcon constantly bumping onto surfaces! Or mid-air Tie-Fighters attached to chains!

The Falcon bumping into mountain surfaces was silly.

Didn't mind the Tie-Fighter. Figured it was charging

The thing is... I could take apart this film with ease. Point out every single thing that felt off. But there is no point. It's not a brilliant piece of filmmaking, and was never going to be. It delivers what it promises, and that's all there is to it.

That's how it differs from the Prequels.

It was full of things that could easily be avoided and that's a shame.

Going into hyperdrive while still in the freighter was another silly thing.

Another detail that bothers me. They constantly said "sun" instead of 'star'. In Star Wars they always say "star". "Sun" is too familiar sounding. It refers too much to our own galaxy instead of one being far, far away.

Another detail that bothers me. They constantly said "sun" instead of 'star'. In Star Wars they always say "star".

I noticed that, though it didn't bother me.

The sun or stars have never been a plot elements before in these films.

The humour was spot on. Just enough. Even the Dark Side having gags was great. Like when Ren was smashing the shit out of the interrogation room and those two storm troopers were just like "nope," and turned around. Nice.

Another detail that bothers me. They constantly said "sun" instead of 'star'. In Star Wars they always say "star".

Well, if nothing bothers you then you're a very easy customer, Steef. A J.J. yes man perhaps?

Well, if nothing bothers you then you're a very easy customer, Steef. A J.J. yes man perhaps?

So, Alex, would you say Marvel films are better than this one?

Karol

Oooh feel the burn Stefan!

Next topic!

Oscar Isaac's character showed some promise in the beginning of the film but in the end that promise wasn't really fulfilled. Star Wars needs more Oscar Isaac! He's the cowbell in Funk.

TFA is largely modelled after Star Wars, so I wonder if the next one will resemble TESB in many way?

There certainly seems to be the suggestion of our young, Force sensitive hero being trained by a legendary Jedi Knight.

Next topic!

Oscar Isaac's character showed some promise in the beginning of the film but in the end that promise wasn't really fulfilled. Star Wars needs more Oscar Isaac! He's the cowbell in Funk.

He's a character that they didnt know what to do with. that's why he simple disappears, only to suddenly tun up when the film needs it's flying ace again.

That's not great writing.

So, Alex, would you say Marvel films are better than this one?

I enjoyed Guardians and Winter Soldier a lot more, yes. It's funny that you should ask because yesterday the kid said that this Star Wars movie felt a lot more Marvel-ish (because of the type of humor, I think). I did laugh a couple of times.

Yeah... no.

The film is a 6.5/10.

Attack of the Clones level then? ;)

AOTC is a 1.5/10 movie!

So how would you rank all the films then?

Karol - who, as you should know, hates ratings

ESB: 9/10

SW: 8/10

ROTJ: 6.64/10

TFA: 6.5/10

TPM: 4/10

ROTS: 3.36/10

AOTC: 1.5/10

It is the only way.

When you put it in such perspective, I wouldn't disagree... much. Except for that I liked it more than Return of the Jedi. Which was just.... flat... all the way through (with very few flourishes).

Karol

TFA is largely modelled after Star Wars, so I wonder if the next one will resemble TESB in many way?

There certainly seems to be the suggestion of our young, Force sensitive hero being trained by a legendary Jedi Knight.

The Force Awakens already modelled after Empire in many ways. The revelation of someome being someones father, a showdown on a walkway in the middle of a huge open space. Hell even Han fell off the bloody bridge, just like Luke.

While I enjoyed the film, Abrams just did what he did with Star Trek; which was remake a previous film in a slightly different way to make it look new. Even the opening scenes were the same as A New Hope. A droid that has secret plans, a big bad guy dressed in black with his storm troopers looking for them.

The Force Awakens already modelled after Empire in many ways. The revelation of someome being someones father, a showdown on a walkway in the middle of a huge open space. Hell even Han fell off the bloody bridge, just like Luke.

While I enjoyed the film, Abrams just did what he did with Star Trek; which was remake a previous film in a slightly different way to make it look new. Even the opening scenes were the same as A New Hope. A droid that has secret plans, a big bad guy dressed in black with his storm troopers looking for them.

That's the biggest problem. It's a remake rehashing all the greatest hits from the past.

Now, the multi-billion dollar question is whether Star Wars could ever be anything else.

Karol

George Lucas proved with the Prequels that Star Wars could be something else.

I think Disney will do so eventually, but they are playing is very safe with their first film. Gotta reel back those fans!

Alex, what did you think of Ford? You are a big fan of the 80's Harrison Ford but not of his later work, right?

Now, the multi-billion dollar question is whether Star Wars could ever be anything else.

Karol

In theory, I think it can be, but only if it involves complete artistic freedom. I would give Star Wars to unusual directors. A David Lynch or a R-rated stylized hard-core Zack Snyder Star Wars would be different, I think.

Alex, what did you think of Ford? You are a big fan of the 80's Harrison Ford but not of his later work, right?

He actually surprised me. I thought he was going to be way more mushy, but he was kinda alright. Maybe I would have preferred it if the film more clearly insinuated that he sacrificed himself. Solo should have known that his last action would be the end of him. We should have seen it in his eyes. He should have smiled when Kylo didn't let go of his lightsaber.

Not having another deathstar rehash would have helped massively. The main threat should have just been Ren and the First Order. The film didn't need to be bigger than the previous films. They don't leave themselves anywhere to go if you start too big. They even had the Starkiller base shown next to a deathstar hologram and said "HEY EVERYONE, OUR EVIL WEAPON IS MUCH BIGGER THAN THOSE OTHER ONE IN THOSE PAST FILMS!" The plot should have focused on finding Luke only, and keeping it smaller, getting to know the new characters even more, and then the final act could have been with the Rey vs Ren lightsaber duel. And suddenly Luke comes out of hiding and says something like "Who are you" and Rey could have said "I'm no one." And Luke replies with "I can make you someone." And it ends. No need for yet another bloody planet sized evil base destroyed and celebrations and finale.

Disney will not do that, like they don't give Marvel to the really interesting directors.

In that case, I settle for the Russo brothers. ;)

Not having another deathstar rehash would have helped massively. The main threat should have just been Ren and the First Order. The film didn't need to be bigger than the previous films. They don't leave themselves anywhere to go if you start too big. They even had the Starkiller base shown next to a deathstar hologram and said "HEY EVERYONE, OUR EVIL WEAPON IS MUCH BIGGER THAN THOSE OTHER ONE IN THOSE PAST FILMS!" The plot should have focused on finding Luke only, and keeping it smaller, getting to know the new characters even more, and then the final act could have been with the Rey vs Ren lightsaber duel. And suddenly Luke comes out of hiding and says something like "Who are you" and Rey could have said "I'm no one." And Luke replies with "I can make you someone." And it ends. No need for yet another bloody planet sized evil base destroyed and celebrations and finale.

I agree. In fact, I think you should infiltrate Disney and guide them. They clearly need an advisor.

I was to busy being annoyed by the popcorn eaters around me. I swear, it was louder than the movie!

I hope you had some kind of shillelagh with you to beat them into silence!

Yes it was the weakest link in the story but hey at least you have the next film to anticipate for the next chapter in Rey's Jedi odyssey. Things were pretty well set up in many respects in this film. Let's hope they can give pay off to all those story threads in the sequels.

Luckily, the huge guy next to me finished his large bucket of popcorn in 10 minutes.

Thank the Maker for small mercies!

It wasn't well set up for the next film at all. The evil guys big base has been destroyed...AGAIN! so what will they do now? Build another one I guess. Boooooring. And how has Rey's story been set up well to continue? She defeated Ren's force ability in 2 minutes and then beat him in a lightsaber duel as well. Her abilities have no where to go. It took Luke (the most powerful Jedi of all according to the Emperor) years to master his abilities. It took him more than a film and a half to face Vader and he still lost the fight catastrophically! He then took another couple of years to face him again. Rey is too powerful to progress.

Luckily, the huge guy next to me finished his large bucket of popcorn in 10 minutes.

Thank the Maker for small mercies!

Exactly what I was thinking. He was too big for me to take on but he also devoured his snacks like a big whale. It took other people like an hour or so before their buckets were empty.

It wasn't well set up for the next film at all. The evil guys big base has been destroyed...AGAIN! so what will they do now? Build another one I guess. Boooooring. And how has Rey's story been set up well to continue? She defeated Ren's force ability in 2 minutes and then beat him in a lightsaber duel as well. Her abilities have no where to go. It took Luke (the most powerful Jedi of all according to the Emperor) years to master his abilities. It took him more than a film and a half to face Vader and he still lost the fight catastrophically! He then took another couple of years to face him again. Rey is too powerful to progress.

Also, how can we relate and sympathize with someone who doesn't struggle to learn and catches on like a genius, beating all the experts during her first lesson?

So it takes years for Anakin and Luke to develop their skills and force ability and every other Jedi and Sith of all time in the Star Wars universe takes years sometimes decades to become anything at all, and she becomes a Sith beating force master in 3 minutes. Bullshit.

People seem to be forgetting that Kylo Ren was wounded when he fought Rey, shot by Chewie. The film makes that perfectly clear.

He wasn't injured when he was force whipped in the interrogation room in what I will affectionately name 'The Battle of the Stares.'

People seem to be forgetting that Kylo Ren was wounded when he fought Rey, shot by Chewie. The film makes that perfectly clear.

I don't forget that, it just doesn't explain it for me. Her progress is too hastily executed.