The Force Awakens - Score Reactions from Reviews, etc

Lewya

I'm sad now.

ANH was before Williams truly found his footing, and TFA was after Williams truly lost it.

I think ANH is one of the top of the Star Wars soundtracks, it has a more symphonic feel to me. Prequel trilogies are forgettable to me and the music came off to me as overproduced especially the action pieces.

I sort of feel you on this.

The greatest thing about Williams's output in film is that it doesn't seem like film music; it's allowed to breathe and take its time and develop. That isn't to say other composers didn't (Goldsmith, Herrmann, Rozsa especially) but the nature of film often abuses music and chips away at it and really doesn't do it justice (see: How Ridley Scott treated Jerry's music on Alien).

But somehow Johnny's seems to thrive and sound more like concert work that just happens to work in a film instead of the other way around. Something about his approach changed around the first Harry Potter or The Patriot where he stopped writing so "broadly" and started writing "to the edits", which I imagine is why we have over two dozen short cues on this new album, which, though will certainly have IMMENSE quality to them, will lack that wide sweep of "scenery meets music" that even the prequels had.

The days of a Star Wars film having a cue like "Binary Sunset" are over, I'm afraid.

But most of the cues in the original Star Wars aren't particularly long, either, at least split from the LP suites that were originally presented in '77. The Main Title/Blockade Runner cue is only 2:14, The Moisture Farm is only 2:25, split into the two cues it actually represents, The Hologram is only 1:53 and Binary Sunset is only about 2:15, etc. etc. It's really only on his LP presentations where he joins so many cues together that he's had longer cues (obviously not every case - Imperial Attack is 6:42, etc.), but point is, his cue length has always varied and depended on the scene.

I would like to point out that the Prisoner of Azkaban OST, which I think is highly regarded around here, was 21 tracks (just 2 fewer) and had quite a few short ones (more tracks under 2 minutes compared to The Force Awakens). So I think there's precedent for a great listening experience with short tracks that work short. We'll see!

If bars are set too high, musicians won't be able to read them.

Those would be ledger lines.

So we'd better transpose our bars, or use a different clef.

A simple 8va or 15va would do. ^_^

15ma ;). Before being able to use a simple 8va or 15ma, by the way, you'd have to transpose the music anyway!

Yep, i'm seeing it tomorrow but still want to know more. Gonna try record the audio when I see it but it might turn out too crappy, but I bet that the album will leak before I get home anyway...

From the first review I have seen of the movie:

"Star Wars would not be Star Wars without the musical genius of John Williams. Once again, the maestro has delivered a wonderful mix of new material and recognisable cues of the iconic musical themes of the Original Trilogy. He succeeds at defining The Force Awakens as a new chapter in the saga, a movie with its own merits, but still undoubtedly part of the larger whole. It always feels a little bit like coming home…"

Overall rating for music: 8/10.

Movie: 7.5/10

Visuals: 9/10

Characters: 8/10

Story: 5/10

http://www.geekster.be/star-wars-vii-the-force-awakens-a-new-generation-a-new-beginning/(spoilers I think).

I have seen twitter reactions and it appears the movie is a worthy contender :)

For what?

For being considered a movie.

for being considered a good star wars movie. Some people are saying its better then Return of the Jedi. Basically its good.

Tomorrow is the big night for me. I will finally listen how this combined orchestra is playing Williams' soundtrack bits. Can't wait.

And I hope all of you seeing the movie tomorrow to enjoy it, which is the main reason why this saga exists after all. :)

For anyone concerned the new material sounds undeveloped or more motivic than thematic, it IS possible Williams intends to return for Episode 8. Thus, he's left his new themes relatively undeveloped with the intention of exploring them more fully in the subsequent films.

If he were to present the new themes through to their conclusion in Episode 7 there'd be nowhere left to take them in the next two sequels!

Think Shore and LOTR. He regularly introduced fragments or pieces of themes in earlier films but never explored them fully until ROTK.

If he were to present the new themes through to their conclusion in Episode 7 there'd be nowhere left to take them in the next two sequels!

Think Shore and LOTR. He regularly introduced fragments or pieces of themes in earlier films but never explored them fully until ROTK.

Nah, there are always new avenues to explore for Williams. This isn't really an excuse for leaving themes undeveloped, especially for someone of Williams' caliber, who's spent much of his career dealing with sequels.

And Williams doesn't really think work like Shore in that "big picture" sense, at least not in that fashion. He'd probably treat this SW film as if its the last SW film he scores and give it his all without even considering whether he might score the next film or not.

And Williams doesn't really think work like Shore in that "big picture" sense, at least not in that fashion. He'd probably treat this SW film as if its the last SW film he scores and give it his all without even considering whether he might score the next film or not.

Exactly. Plus most of us haven't actually heard how "undeveloped" the new material really is. Hey, we haven't even heard anything aside from Rey's theme!

Here's one that should calm down KM (from FSM)

I have to disagree on some of those disappointed with the score. I think there is writing on this film that harkens back to the OT. And there's more new material than not. I would say 10% of the score is callbacks to earlier themes, the majority of the score are the new themes.

Rey's theme is wondrous. Versatile, powerful, could be melancholic or triumphant depending on orchestration.

Finn/Po's theme is so much god damned fun. It puts a smile on my face thinking about it.

Some scenes could have been scored as action, but instead were scored for emotion. The emotional writing is great.

So, don't make an opinion listening to just a couple people on here.

I would much rather listen to TFA than any of the prequel scores.

:)

Here's one that should calm down KM (from FSM)

I have to disagree on some of those disappointed with the score. I think there is writing on this film that harkens back to the OT. And there's more new material than not. I would say 10% of the score is callbacks to earlier themes, the majority of the score are the new themes.

Rey's theme is wondrous. Versatile, powerful, could be melancholic or triumphant depending on orchestration.

Finn/Po's theme is so much god damned fun. It puts a smile on my face thinking about it.

Some scenes could have been scored as action, but instead were scored for emotion. The emotional writing is great.

So, don't make an opinion listening to just a couple people on here.

I would much rather listen to TFA than any of the prequel scores.

Well, I was starting to feel a bit down, but not anymore!

For anyone concerned the new material sounds undeveloped or more motivic than thematic, it IS possible Williams intends to return for Episode 8. Thus, he's left his new themes relatively undeveloped with the intention of exploring them more fully in the subsequent films.

Shore knew for sure he was doing the sequels too. Williams doesn't.

So he isn't going to hold back.

How do you know Williams doesn't know if he's doing Episode 8? The decision will be his alone, and I doubt he hasn't made up his mind yet.

Whether or not he ACTUALLY ends up being able to do it is another story, but I'm sure he's indicated to Kathy what his preference is.

We know that Kathleen Kennedy talked to Williams about the sequel trilogy. She said so over two years ago. Hell, she even said he was going to return for the whole trilogy! Unless of something has changed since then...

How do you know Williams doesn't know if he's doing Episode 8?

I hope not!

if he is to put energy on a film score i'd expect something else than the addition of 2 more hours of music to the already 14 existing ones!!

First glimpse at the new main theme recording? Doesn't sound like the LSO.

It's not the LSO, it was recorded in LA with studio players

I'm aware; I'm just pointing out that for this ad it seems they went with the new recording, rather than one of the old LSO recs they've been parading around in behind the scenes videos and such. Seems to be our first time hearing this recording.

Nah, there are always new avenues to explore for Williams. This isn't really an excuse for leaving themes undeveloped, especially for someone of Williams' caliber, who's spent much of his career dealing with sequels.

I agree with that last statement, I'm sure Williams has given his all to this project.

Crazy little thought though: what if Williams wrote themes for the concepts of Episodes VIII and IX, just so the themes will be ready when the time comes, even if he can't personally score those films himself? Am I only one who can see this happening, possibly even at the behest of Disney/Lucasfilm?

From the Toronto Star's review:

It’s a complete pleasure to behold from start to finish: from the familiar scene-setting scroll — this time pulling us into the story’s central mystery and quest — to the final ... notes of John Williams’ classic score. The Force Awakens isn’t just one the finest movies of 2015, it’s the best movie of the year, full stop.

From the Yorkshire Evening Post's review:

It’s the greatest hits of Star Wars, lovingly and slickly repackaged with an impressive cast of fresh-faced newcomers and wizened old hands, swish digital effects and John Williams’ grandiose orchestral score.

From the Associated Press review:

[W]hile Abrams captures the lively, hokey and practical visual fun of the originals, he occasionally slips into generic blockbuster mode. But those moments pass, and all it takes is a perfect John Williams music cue to transport you back into the cozy blanket of that galaxy far, far away.

From Drew McWeeny's HITFIX review:

Suffice it to say that John Williams remains one of the most important players in the "Star Wars" universe, and the way he creates new themes that fit perfectly alongside the instantly recognizable score that he brings back is perfect.