The Force Awakens - Score Reactions from Reviews, etc

Lewya

Yeah I was also just thinking about that second phrase thing because in the original even though you're dealing with some of those half steps there is still an overall feeling of consonance but by it's isolated presentation here the impression is that of the first phrase but a little more claustrophobic due to tightening the intervals.

There is no doubt as to it being intentional in my opinion.

It's also interesting that you mentioned the elegy idea which is very reminiscent of the ATS bridge and has been at times associated with Anakin's conflict .....a Jedi's conflict??

Certainly appropriate for that moment in many ways but juxtaposing those two ideas is wonderful.

I think the similarity to AOTC is just coincidental. One of those "happy accidents" to quote Williams. To use one his favourite analogies, we all have words, phrases and grammatical structures we reuse again and again, often without even knowing it. Creating music is no different to language, in that sense.

Yes, I think it may be a coincidence in that Williams may not directly remember it from that track (maybe ...but Across the Stars is still quite popular as a performance piece) but like what you said about grammar, etc, it's something that for Williams still must musically represent a sense of inner conflict.

It's also used in the Catch Me If You Can opening titles and although swinging and orchestrated differently it wouldn't be too unfair to say that character also dealt with conflict.

Who knows, ha ....interesting nevertheless.

The CMIYC/AOTC parallel still throws me off. Curiously though, I never noticed the similarity in TFA until now.

On a similar note, any thoughts on the Terminal bit at 0:44 in March of the Resistance? ;)

CMIYC and the Across the Stars theme has to be intentional.  It's one of Williams' most blatant self-reuse moments, all the more conspicuous as the scores were recorded back to back, right?  He probably liked the progression so much that he not such much recycled it as just flat out quoted himself.  Still on his mind and just couldn't shake it.  I refuse to believe that someone of his musical intelligence wasn't aware of it.

2 hours ago, nightscape94 said:

CMIYC and the Across the Stars theme has to be intentional.  It's one of Williams' most blatant self-reuse moments, all the more conspicuous as the scores were recorded back to back, right?  He probably liked the progression so much that he not such much recycled it as just flat out quoted himself.  Still on his mind and just couldn't shake it.  I refuse to believe that someone of his musical intelligence wasn't aware of it.

The guy also scored 4 movies in one year. I think that phrase was rattling in his brain as much as the Zam the Assassin ostinato which pops up quite frequently in his post 2000 output in different variations.

Or the 'Accidental Tourist' theme main phrase which pops up in 'Schindler' and 'CMIYC' (the reflective theme) as bridges (probably in some others i forget now). It's really no rocket science even if the mighty importance of TFA now opens up all kind of irritating nonsense about supposed interconnections of the remotest musical elements as deliberate.

3 minutes ago, Quintus said:

What does navel gazing mean? 

Useless or excessive self-contemplation. But in our case we are gazing at JW's navel too intently.

14 minutes ago, Stefancos said:

Check the Tolkien subforum for countless examples!

It's a form of therapy! For medicinal purposes only!

Chris Stuckmann (a popular Youtube film reviewer with 500,000 subscribers and major SW Fan) has released an in-depth review of the movie and mentions the score as a negative

I actually really admire Stuckmann and think he is probably the best movie reviewer on YT but this is just further evidence of the difference between score fans and film critics.

On the other hand, as time goes on, I am seeing a lot more support on sites like Reddit.  It seemed like the initial reaction was "what the fuck is this?" but I have started to see a lot of posts discussing how much they love Rey's Theme and The March of the Resistance, covers of Rey's theme, etc., often coupled with comments about how they came to appreciate the themes more as they repeatedly saw the film and listened to the album, as well as heavy downvoting of negative opinions, which is probably not good for intellectual diversity but great for those of us that love the score.

Is there is a Williams score that was instantly universally loved?  The PT scores got a fair share of criticism during their respective releases.  Even the original Star Wars score has its share of haters.  There's even those who don't like E.T. score.

44 minutes ago, dfenton85 said:

Chris Stuckmann (a popular Youtube film reviewer with 500,000 subscribers and major SW Fan) has released an in-depth review of the movie and mentions the score as a negative

I actually really admire Stuckmann and think he is probably the best movie reviewer on YT but this is just further evidence of the difference between score fans and film critics.

Is that the guy with the eminently smackable face?

18 minutes ago, someonefun124 said:

Is there is a Williams score that was instantly universally loved?  The PT scores got a fair share of criticism during their respective releases.  Even the original Star Wars score has its share of haters.  There's even those who don't like E.T. score.

Probably not.  As I've said earlier in this thread, I am inclined to believe TFA took harsher criticism upon release than the PT scores did (perhaps due to association to a better film,) but I'd guess plenty of people whined about the new themes for the PT. But with time, people forget what they don't like and zero in on what they do, and that defines their opinions, like Anakin's theme and Duel of the Fates, respectively.  I'd be hard-pressed to find a casual fan who realizes Anakin had his own theme.

1 hour ago, dfenton85 said:

Oh no!  Now thousands of sweaty teenagers will adopt his opinions as their own!  

I do believe that he complimented a recent Williams score or two (War Horse perhaps?)

1 minute ago, karelm said:

Someone needs to educate him that this score is a "grower" equal in quality to its predecessors. 

Done!  

John Williams' score is a "grower" equal in quality to its predecessors.

1 hour ago, Scarpia said:

The Force Awakens is an outstanding score. Integrated, consistent and engaging, it surpassed any expectation I had, and I safely consider it equal to the high level music in the Star Wars series.

This!

Well, I don't really listen to new film music these days. Because it's generally uninteresting or substandard. But I've been listening to this quite a lot, and whilst overall it's no 'classic', I still like how it sounds very much. Rey's Theme and the Resistance March I absolutely love, actually. To me those two cues are about as vintage as Williams gets, so I'm a happy chap. 

Next up: Ennio's new western. 

Quintus - enjoying the revival of an almost dead hobby; and couldn't give two fucks about YouTube mouthpieces. 

From the Empire magazine podcast discussing the Oscar noms:

"I'll be honest the best score nominee that surprised me was JW for The Force Awakens because that score doesn't have the character of most of the other SW soundtracks."

"I agree. I like Rey's theme very much but it is kinda repeated three times on the score and there isn't really anything else that really jumps out. It reminds me of the Howard Shore The Hobbit scores which just really repeat past glories and add a little bit of extra but it is not groundbreaking."

So a contributor to one of the world's best known movie magazines thinks both TFA and The Hobbit scores just relies on existing themes and not much else. Sigh!