The Force Awakens - Score Reactions from Reviews, etc

Lewya

Let's collect the public reactions in this thread. Also from movie reviews later on when they come out.

We will get something pretty soon from the people who are seeing it right now I think. Maybe not that much but it might be interesting anyway...

I'll be seeing it in 2 1/2 hours!! Gettin' giddy all over. :)

We want extensive comments on the score. Promise that! Still haven't seen anyone mention the music safe for one... someone said it was GREAT other than that I haven't found comments on it.

First possible comment on the song by no other than Patton Oswalt:

"Only thing I didn't like in #StarWarsForceAwakens was Abba's "Super Trouper" on the soundtrack whenever there were stormtroopers."

- https://twitter.com/pattonoswalt/status/676660385705951232

Yep. Still no "real" comments on the music... not that I can find at least. Maybe Thor will be the first one to comment on it?

I doubt that. Reactions from both film and score will be SWARMING in today, and by the time I get back (and a meeting I'm having immediately after the screening, some Christmas shopping etc.), you'll all probably know everything there is about it.

Except on all 3 occasions Williams had drama scores nominated instead (two in 2005 alone).

This year it's his only score. Completely different circumstances. He is a shoe-in for nomination at this point, the Academy wouldn't dare snub the hype generated by this film.

On the score: "It didn't stand out to me to be honest, some moments gave me goosebumps because they were tied into the original score, I'd need to see it again to tell you that for sure."

On the score: "It didn't stand out to me to be honest, some moments gave me goosebumps because they were tied into the original score, I'd need to see it again to tell you that for sure."

Now that's better!

who said that?

it depends on who says it.

if he's a casual moviegoer, a casual film music fan, a JW fan, a musician, etc...

A Reddit user who saw the movie. He is answering all kinds of questions on there and is legit (posted a photo of his Reddit name written on the thingy from the premiere). Not sure what he is but he was disappointed but he still said that the movie is better than the prequels and that the acting is solid.

The mini review I post was enthusiastic about the music and comes from a guy whose lengthy reviews in a famous spanish cinema magazine, always had space left for how the the music worked inside the film. Now he no longer works for the spanish magazine, Imagenes de actualidad, but I trust his criteria over some random guys talking in some forums or twitter.

does he say anything about the opening logo? i'm curious

Haven't seen any comments on that.

That same user wrote another comment on the score: "John Williams is amazing, to be honest I was sort of sucked into the movie, I don't remember going "holy fuck" about the score but there were a few goose-bump inducing moments due to the original themes playing at certain moments. I'd have to see it again and listen for the score."

That's what I expected, I mean it's Star Wars we are talking about, the general moviegoer only would pay atention to it if it was something completely new o Zimmerish. If it works in the film, this kind of short review will say nothing aboyt the music. Tomorrow the embargo will be over and thoughtfull reviews will be far more detailed.

He gives the movie a **½ out of **** rating which is about on the level of Revenge of the Sith.

0 - An insult to humanity

• - Bad

** - Meh

*** - Good

**** - Excellent

**** - Star Wars

**** - Empire Strikes Back

*** - Return of the Jedi

*1/2 - Phantom Menace

*1/2 - Attack of the Clones

**1/2 - Revenge of the Sith

I approve of this thread and its a good idea to collect comments from around the internet + published articles that mention the score.

Just please, no movie spoilers in this thread. Thanks!

From FSM

THIS FILM IS MAGNIFICENT!

(about the score)

I have to listen to it separate from the film again - there is so much to take in, and I was completely drawn into this world that for the first time in many years I almost forgot the score.

Of course, it is classic Williams-Star Wars, no doubt about that. The original themes (Force, Leia, Han & Leia) are used at specific times which fit perfectly. Since I´m so familiar with them for over 30 years now I immediately connected to them.

Again, it´s too early for me to say much about the new themes.

That is the longest comment on the score I have seen so far but still no comment on the new material and what it is like.

Obviously no diehard OCD film score fans among the people who saw it. It's an outrage!

The score sounds like a sub-INDY 3, in fact.

I adore the three previous SW scores. Besides that, in his recent works, I loved War Horse, Indy 4 (kind of), War of the Worlds. Didn't care too much for the others.

I'm not saying SWTFA is a bad score, far from it. But I was expecting something more epic. It's propulsive, but it's more based on action and speed than it is on thematic development. And the march of the Resistance is really, really disappointing. But all Rey's music is great and there is a beautiful heroic theme (heard only twice).