The Force Awakens - Score Reactions from Reviews, etc

Lewya

I think the action cues are letting people down a bit. Fans will throw on "Falcon" thinking it's going to be 1980-level Williams and instead get an average meandering action cue. There are about 15 great-to-excellent tracks, highlighting Rey's themes, Ren's themes, and the old trilogy themes. The others water the experience down a bit which is a little unfair, but the expectations are incredibly high, so Williams' mediocre writing for these action moments probably could have been a bit better.

Williams' mediocre writing for these action moments probably could have been a bit better.

Mediocre as opposed to the much better action moments in the prequel scores? I say TFA's are vastly superior to those.

A lot of people have been bashing Williams since 2008.

But I thought since this was Star Wars, most people would love it even if it wasn't good. And certainly if it was. I guess I was wrong...

Most of the action cues in the first half revolve around Finn's theme, so I would not call them "aimless." Unless, you think Finn's theme itself is aimless. I don't find it that way after several listens--it is a catchy, well crafted theme.

People really need to measure their expectations. Was anyone really expecting another "Imperial March" or "Duel of the Fates"? This is the first film in a trilogy and JW has laid some very solid foundations for the next two.

Indeed. I'll take any of the themes in this score over "Battle of the Heroes" which I never truly cared for and thought was rather bland.

Unless, you think Finn's theme itself is aimless. I don't find it that way after several listens--it is a catchy, well crafted theme.

My only concern is that Finn's theme is very propulsive. I believe all of the references to the theme on the OST, if not the whole movie, are action-based. I'd be curious to see what Williams does with it during dramatic.

Most of the action cues in the first half revolve around Finn's theme, so I would not call them "aimless." Unless, you think Finn's theme itself is aimless. I don't find it that way after several listens--it is a catchy, well crafted theme.

In my first listenings I thougth that the action tracks were not very memorables, but now I LOVE I Can Fly Anything and Follow Me/The Falcon, and Poe´s and Finn´s themes (and the Rebel fanfarre associated to the Falcon). The same with The Resistence March and the Scherzo for X-Wings.

Williams' mediocre writing for these action moments probably could have been a bit better.

Mediocre as opposed to the much better action moments in the prequel scores? I say TFA's are vastly superior to those.

Cues like "Chase Through the Coruscant" destroys everything in TFA action-wise.

The action material in TFA is more like War of the Worlds or War Horse, but usually better.

I prefer some of the WotW material. But better than War Horse in the action department, for sure.

I will say this, as good as this score, TFA won't be inspiring a new generation of JW/film music fans. Not that that was ever necessary.

For anyone concerned the new material sounds undeveloped or more motivic than thematic, it IS possible Williams intends to return for Episode 8. Thus, he's left his new themes relatively undeveloped with the intention of exploring them more fully in the subsequent films.

If he were to present the new themes through to their conclusion in Episode 7 there'd be nowhere left to take them in the next two sequels!

Think Shore and LOTR. He regularly introduced fragments or pieces of themes in earlier films but never explored them fully until ROTK.

Williams never did that in any of his other six Star Wars scores, and he won't now.

So no new major member will join this forum because of this score? No Stiff 2.0?

We already have that one covered. God forbid we get a Stiff 3.0...

I think a key element to listening to this score is patience. The more you listen to it, the more rewarding it becomes.

But the average guy probably wants to hear it once and still get the full experience. A sign of our postmodern times. There's no time for listening to a score you didn't like more than once!

Oh please! It isn't fucking Shakespeare, it's Star Wars! Like you needed to listen to any of the other six scores repeatedly until you've convinced yourself you liked it. It shold hit you in the face with careless, unabashed adventure music.

He attempted that in TPM with Anakin's Theme.

That wasn't planned, he tried to hint at a theme he had no idea he'd return to when he wrote it 30 years ago.

So you're saying that 77 minutes of dense and complex orchestral writing doesn't take repeat listens for a more rewarding experience or a more lucrative musical discovery ?

Did your girlfriend break up with you today or something?

So you're saying that 77 minutes of dense and complex orchestral writing doesn't take repeat listens for a more rewarding experience or a more lucrative musical discovery ?

Did your girlfriend break up with you today or something?

Seems like normal gggkver to me...

From the Jedi Council Boards. Some posivity.

I've been listening to the OST on Youtube on and off these past few days

Wow. My opinion has totally changed from "I'm disappointed" to "I'm underwhelmed" to "I'm impressed" to "I love this!"

Music grows on you. I too was underwhelmed the first time I watched it, but now that I've rewatched, I must say Rey's theme is absolutely beautiful, almost transcendent; there was something so space operatic about it, that brought to mind Stargate SG-1 funnily enough. Definitely my favourite hero/heroine's theme of all Star Wars, and I didn't even really register it at all my first viewing! And Kylo Ren's, as well, is appropriately dark and memorable. Music associated with the Resistance and Poe reminded me of Indiana Jones incidentally, but could have been more bombastic I feel.

Either way, much as said above, I'm very much on board with this score, and intend to play to the point of sickening Rey's theme over the next few weeks!

Upon my first viewing of the film, I thought the score was rather weak, but you really start to pick up on the different themes and such with each repeat viewing. Rey's theme really stuck with me to the point where I found myself humming it after my second viewing. Now that I had a chance to really listen to the soundtrack, I'm certainly on board with this score. Sure, it may not be anything earth shattering, but it's still rather beautiful and it really sets the mood of the film.
I've listened to the soundtrack multiple times. It's grown on me somewhat, and seeing the movie more times to place the music with scenes will also help, but it's still clear this is far below the quality of the other six soundtracks unfortunately.

The score is really growing on me with repeat viewings

On first viewing I didn't notice the music at all, now I think that's because I was in a theater with a bad sound system.

Viewing #2 and #3 have been much better sound systems and the music was very prominent.

It's a grower!