The Force Awakens - Score Reactions from Reviews, etc

Lewya

Well, I never read reviews elsewhere and had my opinion changed.  I didn't even like the LOTR scores until I read Clemmensen's reviews of them.  He does make his reviews accessible.

I don't mind his opinions (as much) and appreciate any attempts at being more specific.

But,.. he has an unfortunate tendency to overload his sentences with numerous overly sophisticated phrases regarding the inherent regretful methodology inherent to the contemporary film score landscape. Thus, the underlining message, albeit not devoid of relative clarity, becomes excessively obscured by the verbosity of his lengthy and illuminated ruminations.

Karol

I know what you are referring to, and I agree.  His writing is far from perfect.  But I can't help that I find his reviews more insightful, informative, and convincing than anyone else out there.  It's just not a very competitive field.

1 hour ago, BloodBoal said:

There are a few JWFAN members who write exactly like that...

I don't mind more academic (or semi-academic) language. But with combination with his general attitude, he comes off a  patronising and arrogant. It's an explosive substance if you mix the ingredients wrong.

Mikko, for instance, likes to write in a more literary language. But it doesn't feel like that. It's more endearing in his case.

Karol

He would be killed by any editor halfway worth his salt. But he does one thing (if not always, more often than not) that must be praised, and that is dig up background info on movie and /or score. That can't be undone by the autistic sentence wringing.

6 minutes ago, crocodile said:

I don't mind more academic (or semi-academic) language. But with combination with his general attitude, he comes off a  patronising and arrogant. It's an explosive mixture if you mix the ingredients wrong.

Mikko, for instance, likes to write in a more literary language. But it doesn't feel like that. It's more endearing in his case.

Karol

Mikko really feels like some sort of (re-)incarnation of Tolkien or Gandalf, in that respect.

Just now, mrbellamy said:

Editing is writing!

Well, true, but you see the distinction I am making, between having good writing that is unrefined and just having bad writing all around.  While we may not all agree, I believe he is the former.

Just now, Taikomochi said:

Well, true, but you see the distinction I am making, between having good writing that is unrefined and just having bad writing all around.  While we may not all agree, I believe he is the former.

Let's just agree that he is an intelligent bloke with unique perspective/opinions. But his delivery tends to be rusty.

Karol

5 minutes ago, Mr. Big said:

http://www.filmtracks.com/scoreboard/forum.cgi?read=14362

Oh noe!!!!! some body at filmtrack tattled on us.  :(

These people have an irony-deficiency!

ARE YOU READING THIS FILMTRACKS MEMBERS???

yea I have no hostility towards anyone at that site; In fact I couldn't name you one person who uses that site, I haven't been there since the 90s.

Just now, Taikomochi said:

"...it is a pretty consolidated company that I found isn't overly welcoming to new participants... "

LOL, I enjoy this site, JWFan, a lot, but that is very accurate.

That's why I love it.  

I still quite don't understand the whole "welcoming" new members thing. What are we supposed to do exactly? When I joined I just started posting...I didn't need a hug.

5 minutes ago, Hlao-roo said:

Why does @Kühni want to slap @Jay with dead fish?

Kinky?

9 minutes ago, Jay said:

yea I have no hostility towards anyone at that site; In fact I couldn't name you one person who uses that site, I haven't been there since the 90s.

KK!

He was was born in it, moulded by it. He didn't see the JWFan light until he was already a man, by then it was nothing to him but BLINDING!

8 minutes ago, Hlao-roo said:

Why does @Kühni want to slap @Jay with dead fish?

I made a comment on the FSM forum 3 years ago that he didn't like and has been mean to me online ever since.

8 minutes ago, mrbellamy said:

I still quite don't understand the whole "welcoming" new members thing. What are we supposed to do exactly? When I joined I just started posting...I didn't need a hug.

It's not needing a hug.  I have been on this site since 2007, on and off, and, for most of the time, except perhaps more recently, my responses/opinions were mostly ignored.  It's not that I was specifically disliked, but rather people simply did not acknowledge or respond to anything I said, presumably because they did not recognize me as someone they could interact with.  I am not sure if that is exactly what Kuhn was referring to, but that is surely my experience.  It's not easy breaking into a community that has existed well over a decade.

2 minutes ago, Jay said:

I made a comment on the FSM forum 3 years ago that he didn't like and has been mean to me online ever since.

I recently discovered MV Gerhard from LLL thinks I'm a piece of shit and named me as one of the reasons he doesnt visit on JWFan.

1 minute ago, Stefancos said:

I recently discovered MV Gerhard from LLL thinks I'm a piece of shit and named me as one of the reasons he doesnt visit on JWFan.

LOL this thread is too good. :lol:

14 minutes ago, mrbellamy said:

On 7/29/2015 at 7:11 AM, TownerFan said:

I'm here since the very early days of this place, so I guess I learned to understand its in's and out's. While I've never been a truly active poster, I always enjoyed the good-natured spirit and the lighthearted tone of JWFan. But I understand that in the latter years it became a lot more self-referential and somehow more exclusive to the point where sometimes it's difficult to get it. It's part of the game actually, as discussion boards like this are somehow being surpassed by other social media outlets like Facebook, where people engage more directly with each other and create their own network of friendships and connections, so a lot of them probably don't feel the need to replicate discussions they're already having in other places. Like Thor, I too don't get most of the (zillions) inside jokes and verbal sparring between some users, which sometimes get very nasty and ugly, and that's what keeps me away from most discussions, even if sometimes I'd like to contribute. But I understand this is what JWFan today is and that's what probably keeps it going on, and that's totally fine with me. I check it everyday, even though most of the time I don't feel attached to it anymore.

27 minutes ago, Taikomochi said:

It's not needing a hug.  I have been on this site since 2007, on and off, and, for most of the time, except perhaps more recently, my responses/opinions were mostly ignored.  It's not that I was specifically disliked, but rather people simply did not acknowledge or respond to anything I said, presumably because they did not recognize me as someone they could interact with.  I am not sure if that is exactly what Kuhn was referring to, but that is surely my experience.  It's not easy breaking into a community that has existed well over a decade.

You know, sometimes a lack of response can mean people agree with you and have nothing to add. I guess the "like" button function makes it clearer.

But I know what you mean.

Karol

3 minutes ago, crocodile said:

You know, sometimes a lack of response can mean people agree with you and have nothing to add. I guess the "like" button function makes it clearer.

But I know what you mean.

Karol

I'd be inclined to agree with you if it wasn't such a prevalent pattern over so much time.

8 minutes ago, Taikomochi said:

I'd be inclined to agree with you if it wasn't such a prevalent pattern over so much time.

Maybe you're just right all the time?

To be honest, I never felt like your opinion didn't matter.

Karol

10 minutes ago, Mr. Big said:

It did take a while before I actually felt like part of JWFan.  

Right.

Who are you again?

;)

8 minutes ago, crocodile said:

Maybe you're just right all the time?

To be honest, I never felt like your opinion didn't matter.

Karol

Haha, if only I was right all the time.

But I appreciate that.  I feel like members like you, Incanus, and Jay have done a good job lately of involving more people in discussions, despite what I said earlier.  Perhaps that is why I have been more involved over the last year, in addition to TFA being released.

I'm sure I wouldn't reconize most of the people who post here by their screen name.

I never actually noticed TheGreatEye till after he became Quint. The name Jason LeBlanc was one I vaguely heard off till he was announced moderator.

A character flaw on my part, probably.

2 minutes ago, Stefancos said:

I'm sure I wouldn't reconize most of the people who post here by their screen name.

I never actually noticed TheGreatEye till after he became Quint. The name Jason LeBlanc was one I vaguely heard off till he was announced moderator.

A character flaw on my part, probably.

Same here for the most part.  I tend to lump members together before their quirks become apparent.  

The only distinctive thing about me is that is use ellipsis... bit too frequently.

And that I have a girl's name. Which, of course, was originally derived from a male name.

Karol