The Force Awakens ALBUM Discussion (No Film Spoilers)

rebekahnoelleparker

I pre-ordered the album from Amazon and it was released tonight. I'm currently on track 17 (Snoke). For some reason, Amazon released it without track names but I've almost completed a full listen-through and it's legit. It's still not out on iTunes yet. There's a few great throwbacks so far and I'm even more anxious to see the film now that I've got some connection to the score! First new JW since 2013, so I'm beside myself!

If I was going by the discussion in this thread, specifically by people who hadn't heard the score, I'd think it was the worst fucking score of the year.

No, that spot is reserved for John Williams' own rejected score from Bridge of Spies.

Wow. Well I downloaded it to my device immediately when it showed up on my Amazon Prime Music app, and am almost through the whole album. Wish I could share!

Be ready for a storm of PMs.

Bring 'em on! There's nothing I love more than discussing JW.

is it any good?

I've only listened once, and I usually reserve my judgment for the 3rd listen-through. Overall, I felt more engaged in the 2nd half of the album. I feel confident that this isn't JW's greatest score by any stretch of the imagination, but it has many brilliant moments. How could it not? I keep trying to picture J.J. Abrams-esque moments with this JW score. It's certainly fun to hear fresh imaginings of old themes.

From the inaugural first listen, the tracks that I enjoyed the most are:

2 The Scavenger- This track has a nice, but short, flute solo, and some really wonderful low woodwind stuff. I also believe it introduces us to Rey's theme for the first time, which is exciting.

9 The Rathtars!- A thrilling action-sequence track.

11 Maz's Counsel- I don't yet know what Maz or Maz's Counsel is, but this track was gorgeous and surprises us with a throwback around 2:15.

16 March of the Resistance

23 The Jedi Steps and Finale- this is a wrap-up track that revisits many of the themes. There's a classically excellent JW French Horn line that is particularly delicious around 4:45.

I hope none of that was too spoiler-y! I'm so excited!

what track is the "cantina song"?..or it's not on there at all

There is NO Cantina song in the 23 tracks on my album. I went back through and am checking and can't find anything like what the Cantina song might be like. AND, I'm a huge Lin-Manuel Miranda fan, so I know I'd be able to spot it if it existed.

What track has the Cellar song?

Can you clarify what you mean by "Cellar Song"?

Crazy little thought though: what if Williams wrote themes for the concepts of Episodes VIII and IX, just so the themes will be ready when the time comes, even if he can't personally score those films himself? Am I only one who can see this happening, possibly even at the behest of Disney/Lucasfilm?

Nah. He's gonna live to write the music last two films. He's too invested in the franchise (read: too stubborn) to not write the music for them.

But you're right. It's never too early to write thematic material for future films.

The cd listen should be fun! Cant wait!

Now if somebody can upload the leaked manuscripts from the recording sessions. It'll give me something to read while I listen to the soundtrack.

what track is the "cantina song"?..or it's not on there at all

There is NO Cantina song in the 23 tracks on my album. I went back through and am checking and can't find anything like what the Cantina song might be like. AND, I'm a huge Lin-Manuel Miranda fan, so I know I'd be able to spot it if it existed.

:ola:

tumblr_lugo7qdLjO1qbbyb5o1_500.gif

LOL

After all that, the damn Cellar Song isn't even on the OST. Williams must have cracked the shits.

More like mass hysteria caused by an innocent badly worded blurb on the Italian Amazon site. :lol:

But look how happy such small thing has made us.

No Cellar Song? Goddamnit!

That comment combined with your avatar is hysterical! :lol:

Now that the score is out, please discuss the MUSIC here, and keep any shipping notices, finding the physical copy in stores, packages arriving, differences between the standard and deluxe packaging, etc discussion over in the original thread:

The Force Awakens Disney Records OST

Thanks!

So far, the Rebel Fanfare popping up seems awkward, not organically integrated.

Haven't heard a strong new theme yet at all....

1: Yeah that is what I was thinking.

2: While it may not be strong, Rey's theme gets in your head by the end.

To be fair I'm only like 25 minutes in.

I guess what I'm saying is that JW chose not to put concert arrangements of big new themes early on the OST program like he's done often in the past

Is the Imperial March in the OST?

No. Only OT themes are:

Rebel Fanfare

Luke's Theme

The Force Theme

Leia's Theme

Han and Leia's theme.

That's disappointing. Thank you though!

I love Rey's theme. Sounds... War Horse-y.

Yeah, it is the stand-out new theme for me. It is like a combination of War Horse and Azkaban.

March of the Resistance isn't doing much for me, I'm afraid.

I love Rey's theme. Sounds... War Horse-y.

There a is a lot of that flavor in this score.

It also reminds me of this cue from The Desolation of Smaug at 1:14: