The Force Awakens ALBUM Discussion (No Film Spoilers)

rebekahnoelleparker

"Rey's Theme" (the track) is really great, too. The theme doesn't make much of an impact in the film cues, though, at least not yet (for me).

1:28 - 1:34 in The Falcon is pretty vintage Williams. Fun little moment!

Recalls the cool action bits in AOTC.

Had to stop listening for a bit, currently on "Snoke". Seem pretty stale for Williams, to be honest. I prefer "Palpatine's Teachings".

Without having seen the film yet - I guess this is pretty much a first as far as multiple themes are used for so many characters in one movie.

We have the themes for Leia, Han and Luke (including relationship themes), and the new themes for the new characters - playing side by side!

I think this has never been done before on that scale, with so many characters and their individual themes - and the old themes on top of it which are less character related.

I believe we're still listening to the top of the iceberg, and that the real score is much more complex.

lol

Just finished the whole thing. There are parts I like, but it comes off as fairly anonymous in the end, doesn't it? Or at least not as distinctive as the the other SW scores, including the prequels.

Rey's theme is lovely, though I wish it had more of a workout in the underscore itself. Is Finn's theme the action motif from "The Falcon"? I like that bit, reminds me of some of the cool Chase through Coruscant music, but not sure if its much of a character theme. The March of the Resistance is fine enough, if only we haven't heard the same kind of stuff so many times in his career. It was like a mashup of scraps of marches we've heard from the prequels. And I'm not sure I even picked up Kylo Ren's theme.

The old themes are nice to hear, but nothing remarkably unique or anything. The scherzo was good fun and the finale was great. But the score as a whole seemed a little lackluster.

I'm sure more listens will do the trick.

Not with TWO GENERATIONS of characters coming together folks.

Again, Shore's Tolkien scores do exactly that.

I haven't given it a complete go thru but what I've taken away is this: though the themes in it are good (especially Rey's, which seems very Potterish to me?), I'm waaaay more impressed with the arrangement and orchestrations in this. There is a depth to the harmonies that was lacking in ROTS and most other Williams scores of late.

Maybe thats just me though.

Anyone know which track it appears first in?

Granted I was listening to most of the score on a bus, so I maybe just cruised through it?

Anyone know which track it appears first in?

Granted I was listening to most of the score on a bus, so I maybe just cruised through it?

Seriously, you listened to the score once in transit and are already judging it against the others?

For fuck sake!

I'm just giving you first impressions!! This is some fine Willians writing, but I didn't catch on a distinctive personality for it that the others had.

As Grey says, more proper listens might do the trick.